Please note, PPFT has been replaced with a new program. As we are not fond of the new program requirements for stats on our children being taken or submitted , we will be replacing it with our own "PPFT" (minus the Presidential part!) Awards will still be given, and standards will remain the same. (The new program is nothing like PPFT, it is more a BMI index attempting to identify obesity in our nation's children, we hope you understand our decision to reject participation as a group in the new program.)
PPFT is the President's Physical Fitness Testing. It consists of 5 events:
1. Endurance run (ages 6&7 run 1/4 mile, ages 8&9 run 1/2 mile, and ages 10&up run 1 mile)
2. Curl ups*
3. Shuttle Run
4. Pull ups/Flexed arm hang**
*partial curl ups may be done at the pavilion with Ms. Sonja with the metronome IF needed to achieve National or Presidential.
**must do just ONE of these to
qualify for this event. If your child wants a Presidential PPFT award, they
must do either the pull ups or the push ups. The flexed-arm hang will qualify only for a Participation or National award. (Push ups are not done at the Pull up station. They are either done at home or at the pavilion -with Ms. Sonja- with the metronome and must be done correctly)
If your child participates in (tries) each event, they will receive a Participation PPFT award.
If your child makes a national score or better in ALL FIVE events, they will receive a National PPFT award.
If your child makes a presidential score or better in ALL FIVE events, they will receive a Presidential PPFT award.
We will practice
these 5 activities throughout the year (see schedule below) and then four/five weeks in March where the
scores your children receive will “count” for their qualification to receive an
award. A copy of the schedule for March is attached to this page. (will be attached when finalized)
Also attached to this page is a PDF document labeled PPFT instructions. If you wish to download and print these instructions, you can help your child(ren) practice at home IF you or they want to. Our PPFT station leaders will be using these instructions to determine your child's score. Each event must be done CORRECTLY in order for it to "count". Also attached are the documents to determine qualifying scores. There is one for boys and one for girls.
Each week of PPFT we ask the following of our parents:
1. Please make sure your child gets plenty of rest on Monday nights.
2. Please make sure your child eats a healthy (low-sugar) but not too full breakfast.
3. Please make sure your child is wearing appropriate clothing for strenuous exercise and CLOSE-TOED shoes, preferably tennis shoes.
4. Please show up 5-10 minutes EARLY so that we can get classes started on time.
5. Please pay attention to all announcements via the email group so that you are aware of changes and/or what is going on.
6. Scores will be recorded by the *COACHES*. If your child does a make up (even if it is AT PE), it is your child's responsibility to get this score to his/her coach. PLEASE make sure the coach is ready and able to actually write down the score right then. DO NOT expect the coach to remember a score after being just told verbally. If your child makes up a score at home, it is a good idea to email their COACH with the make up score.
... AFTER the last Tuesday in March, when we have completed the PPFT, make up scores will be turned in to *me* via EMAIL (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you email me, I will send you a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you don’t receive this, please call me (863-248-5175)
Please note that 5-year-old children WILL be able to participate in the activities, but will not receive an official award from the PPFT. Lakeland Homeschool PE will create our own certificates for 5-year-old children who participate in all five activities in March.
If you want further information on the PPFT, please go here: https://www.presidentschallenge.org/challenge/physical/activities/index.shtml