Click the above link to register for the Swim Lake Hood 2014 event!
Safety Information & Event Rules
These conditions are here to make the event fun and keep you safe - please read them and contact the organisers if you have any questions.
Rise to the challenge - make it safe, and make it fun!
· All swimmers should undertake the appropriate training in preparation for this event
· Swimmers enter at their own risk, are responsible for their own physical condition and are urged to train and have a medical check prior to entry
· Warning is given to all entrants that these events are demanding. Possible risks include drowning, being hit by a boat, object or person.
· It is important to note that, while every effort will be made to ensure a safe and fun event, organisers and crew are unable to guarantee swimmer safety
· Swimmers should undertake appropriate steps to reduce any effect from the sun before, during and after the event.
· Swimmers with low confidence are encouraged to notify crew at the race briefing.
· All registered swimmers must be present at their relevant compulsory race-briefing on race day
· Race wave starts - competitors will be notified at registration and again at the safety briefing
· Cut-off times are enforced for your safety –
10km: 30 minutes after first person
5km: 30 minutes after first person
2.5km: 30 minutes after first person
1.5km: 30 minutes after the first person
800m: 30 minutes after the first person
200m: Not applicable
· Kayaks and other boats will be patrolling the course for the duration of your event
· Medical - St John will be on-site with staff and resources at all events
· A swimmer deemed incapable of completing the course may be brought to shore by the safety crew at any time
· While in the water, all swimmers must comply with the directions of the safety crew and race officials.
· In the event of difficulty in the water, stop and raise your hand to identify yourself to the safety crew. If this is not possible, simple roll onto your back to float in a relaxed position
· In the event of witnessing an injury/accident during the swim, please report this to one of the safety crew on the water or on land as soon as possible
· If you decide to pull out for any reason, please alert an event official or safety crew to indicate your withdrawal
· To ensure your safety, please be vigilant when swimming around buoys and passing other swimmers
· We recommend nervous swimmers wear a wetsuit for assistance with buoyancy and warmth
· Please give assistance to fellow competitors in need of help
· Under 16-year old's must have a guardian present on race day and must have signed consent for entry
1. Competitors must be present at their appropriate race briefing.
2. Competitors must start the race within the designated area.
3. Competitors must round buoys as instructed in the safety-briefing. If they fail to do this, they will be disqualified.
4. Purposely obstructing other swimmers in the field is prohibited. Doing so will result in disqualification.
5. Any competitor that appears incapable of completing the race at any stage may be withdrawn by the organisers, either prior to or during the race.
6. The Race Director's decision is final.
7. Paddles or fins are not permitted.
8. Both the 10 and 5km will be run under SNZ rules. Wetsuits may be worn, but times will not be submitted to SNZ.
Terms and Conditions and Waiver
1. I acknowledge that open water swimming involves the real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including overexertion, heart attack, equipment failure, dehydration, hypothermia or accidents with other competitors.
2. I understand that I must not compete in this event unless I have trained appropriately and my physical condition has been verified by a medical practitioner and I confidently believe that I am sufficiently fit and healthy to compete in this event.
3. By competing, I accept all risks necessarily flowing from my participation which could result in loss of life or permanent injury. Accordingly, I release all persons or corporations associated directly or indirectly with the conduct of the event from all claims, demands and proceedings arising out of my participation and I hereby indemnify them against all liability (including liability for their negligence and/or recklessness and the negligence and/or recklessness of others) for all injury, loss or damage arising out of or connected with my participation in this event. This release shall extend to, and include Ashburton Swim Team and their respective committee members, partners, managers, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers, including, medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the event, the owners, licensees and occupiers of land upon which the event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the event or any part of it is conducted or which is involved directly or indirectly with the event in any manner whatsoever and promoters, sponsors and event organisers. This release and indemnity continues forever and binds my heirs, executors, personal representative and assigns.
4. I consent to receiving any medical treatment that the event organisers think desirable during or after the event.
5. I acknowledge that safety precautions undertaken by organisers (such as course supervision, race-safety briefing) are a service to me and other competitors but are not a guarantee of safety. I accept that I have an important responsibility to carefully read and listen to all safety briefings and to immediately seek clarification on anything which is not entirely clear to me.
6. I consent to the event organisers using my name, image and likeness before, during or after the event for event promotional broadcasting or reporting purposes in any media.
7. I understand that I am fully responsible for the security of my personal possessions at the event.
8. I accept my registration is not transferable to other people and is non-refundable. If the event is cancelled, my registration fee is also non-refundable.
9. I agree to my name and contact details being included on the event database of my chosen event(s). These maybe used for promotional purposes by event stakeholders. I may unsubscribe from this at any time.
10. I agree to abide by all race rules and directions issued by the event organiser.
11. I acknowledge that by reason of circumstances beyond the control of the event directors, it may become necessary or desirable to change the format of the event and, if that occurs, I consent to the changes and I agree that each and every one of the conditions herein set out shall apply to that changed event.
12. If the event is cancelled due to poor weather, rough seas or any other condition beyond the control of the organisers, I understand that my entry fee will not be refunded.
13. The final decision to cancel or modify the course due to poor conditions will be made by the Race Referee of the day after consultation with other officials and safety officials.
14. I hereby certify that I am 16 years of age or older (see below (Clause 15) for younger swimmers).
15. If I am under 16 years I will have these terms and conditions viewed and signed by my legal guardian (on postal entries) or agreed (through the online entry process) which will in effect give consent for me to swim this event. Children under the age of 16 wanting to compete in this event should have a high level of swimming ability and fitness. Parental guidance is required.
16. I confirm that, by being the team coach/manager and/or captain, I have shown these Terms and Conditions and Waiver to each member of my team and he/she has read, therefore understood and accepted the terms and conditions and waiver and I am authorised by each of the members of my team to confirm these matters to the race organisers.