- Paper entitled ``On the Need of Large Quantum Depth” was accepted to ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC is the flagship conference of the Special Interest Group on Algorithms and Computation Theory), 2020.
- Paper entitled ``Quantum Data-Syndrome Codes" was accetped to Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC, Impact factor 9.302), 2020 DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2020.2968997
- One talk and two posters at QIP2020, Shenzen from Jan 5-11, 2020.
- I am looking for Ph.D. and M.S. students (電信甲) who are motivated to do theoretical research, especially in coding and information theory, quantum computation, and (post)quantum cryptography. Students with backgrounds in communications/ electrical engineering/ computer science/ mathematics/ physics are all welcome. If you are interested, please send me an email.
- Dr Hao-Chung Cheng (U Cambridge) is visiting us on November 29, 2019.
- Dr Yingkai Ouyang (U Sheffield) is visiting us from November 17 to December 13, 2019. Talk 2: Towards realizing robust quantum metrology in the presence of noise. Talk 1: Permutation-invariant constant-excitation quantum codes for amplitude damping.
- Dr Hsuan-Yin Lin (Simula UiB, Bergen, Norway) is giving a talk on October 2, 2019. Title: Private Information Retrieval: An Overview and Some Recent Results.
- Dr Han-Hsuan Lin (UT Austin) is giving a talk ``A quantum-proof non-malleable extractor, with application to privacy amplification against active quantum adversaries" on August 16, 2019.
- I am teaching 5158 ECM5901 最佳化理論與應用 Optimization Theory and Application in the fall semester 2019.
- Dr Hoi-Kwan (Kero) Lau (U Chicago) is visiting us from May 20-23, 2019. Talk: What is actually needed to quantum-compute with harmonic oscillators?
- I am teaching 1111 UEE4611 Introduction to Cryptography and Information Security in the 2019 Spring Semester.
- Dr Nai-Huei Chia (UT Austin) is giving a talk ``Quantum-inspired sublinear classical algorithms for solving low-rank linear systems" on January 1, 2019.
- I am teaching 5158 ECM5901 最佳化理論與應用 Optimization Theory and Application in the fall semester 2018.
Ching-Yi Lai was born in Taipei, Taiwan. He received his MS in 2006 and BS in 2004 in electrical engineering from National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan. He received his PhD in 2013 in electrical engineering from University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
Currently he is an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Communications Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan. Previously he was a postdoctoral research associate at the Centre for Quantum Software and Information, University of Technology Sydney from December 2013 to July 2015. Then he was a postdoctoral scholar at the Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan from September 2015 to July 2018.
Prof. Lai received the MOST Young Scholar Fellowship (哥倫布計畫) in 2018 from the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan. His research interests include theory of error-correcting codes, information theory, quantum computation and information, fault-tolerant quantum computation, and quantum cryptography.
Information for Students
- |Joint PhD Degree〉University of Technology Sydney(雪梨科技大學)博士雙聯學位：Potential students can visit the Centre for Quantum Software and Information at UTS for two years at the beginning of the 3rd year of PhD. 雪梨科大的量子軟體與資訊中心為目前世界上最大的理論量子研究中心之一。NCTU申請此雙聯學位之學生可於博士第三年開始，於UTS訪問兩年。
- |Postdoc Fellowship〉Taiwan-USC Postdoctoral Fellowship Program： 台灣教育部和南加州大學 (University of Southern California, Los Angeles)協定，台灣人或於台灣取得博士學歷之學生，可申請補助前往USC從事博士後研究。
- Classical and Quantum Error-correcting Codes
- Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computation
- Quantum Algorithm, Machine Learning
- Quantum Communication, Quantum Key Distribution
- Quantum Cryptography, Post-quantum Cryptography
- Quantum Information Theory
Honors and Grants
2019 矽基量子光電晶片 MOST108-2627-E-008-001-
2018 Junior Chair Professor at NCTU (support for 4 years)
2018 MOST Young Scholar Fellowship (MOST Grant for the Columbus Program MOST107-2636-E-009-005; MOST108-2636-E-009-004-).
- award for prestigious young scholars born after 1982 in Taiwan.
- 2.47 million dollars for the fi.rst year and a total of 7.45 million dollars for three years
2018 MOST Postdoctoral Research Fellow Academic Writing Award
2017 Postdoctoral Scholars Programs at Academia Sinica