The oldest of the language houses, the Spanish House began in 1981 with nine students under the leadership of Professor David Gies. Unable to immediately secure University recognition as an academic facility, the House consisted of five apartments in Oxford Hills. In the fall of 1984, the University allocated six apartments in Lambeth Field to be known as La Casa Hispánica. After many attempts to find an independent house, the Spanish department and the University coordinators secured a building for use as La Casa Hispánica. In the Fall of 1996, twenty-three students moved into the former Snowden Apartment complex on Jefferson Park Avenue. In November 1997, the house was dedicated by the Venezuelan Ambassador as La Casa Bolívar, in honor of Fernando Bolívar, the nephew and adopted son of Simon Bolívar, who attended the University of Virginia in 1827.
If you would like to learn more about Fernando Bolívar, the attached document is Gustavo Pellón's recount of Fernando's brief time at UVa and his connection to Thomas Jefferson and Simón Bolívar.