Learning Goal: By the end of today's lesson you will demonstrate your understanding of homographs by creating a picture power point using 10 homographs, so that you will be able to understand word meanings when you read a text.
Homographs are words with multiple meanings, or two definitions for one word.* Research the internet and become familiar with different words that have more than one meaning, homographs. (Look below for suggested websites to investigate.)
EXAMPLE: (two different meanings of the word) nail
- Nails and a hammer are used to build things.
- Each finger and toe has a nail on it.
* Compile (make) a list of twenty words that have more than one meaning using Word Processor.
* Bold/highlight ten of the words that you could use to make a power point using pictures as definitions for the words.
* Show teacher list and have it approved for power point.
* Make a power point
* Use pictures as definitions for the words
* Use ten words
* Use twenty pictures; two for each word. (One picture for each of the definitions of the word)
* Include each word and a definition of each word
Play this game with a partner!!
The object of the game is to play Jeopardy and guess the right homograph!! The game also explains the directions for how to play.