- Become familiar with Google Maps
- Learn to
- upload images to Flickr and/or Picasa
- create a Google Map
- collaborate with others on building a map
- share your map with the world
- brainstorm educational applications for your organization
You Should Already Have...
Introductions & Ice Breaker
Overview of Workshop and Preparing for Our Walk
- Logistics of the day
- Why create a marine science map?
- Themes for today's map
- On the walk: taking pictures, notes, and thinking about correlations to your work
Tour of Dunes at Asilomar State Beach with Park Ranger Andrea Mapes
Reflections about Our Walk
- Themes and topics
- Making connections
Introduction to Google Maps
- Go to Google Maps and try out the tools:
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Play with the 5 options on the top right of the map: Traffic, More, Map, Satellite, and Terrain
- What happens when you click Send and/or Link (also on the top right)?
- Review the QUEST Explorations Template map
- Create a practice map and placemark (together)
Planning Our Map
- Choosing points and themes
- Considerations when working on a group map
Let's Make a GROUP Map!
Today we will make a group map of "Asilomar Dunes." Each person will contribute content to and collaborate on one group map.
Wrapping it Up
Discussion About Using Google Maps in Your Educational Work