Welcome to Knotts Island Market
Over 158 years of serving the island residents
Founder and first owner: Andrew Jackson (called Jackson) Spratt, born 17 May 1837 and died 3 Jan 1913
* July 1855 – Knotts Island Market first opens for business. Store owned by Mr. Jackson Spratt. (The market was originally located at the corner of Cason and Woodleigh Roads). The store was actually in business much earlier and was located on False Capes. After a powerful tropical storm damaged the store, within a day, Jackson Spratt ferried what he could across Knotts Island Bay and opened the store for business on Knotts Island - never stopping more than a day in providing merchandise to this community.
* A young John Malachi Jones worked for Mr. Spratt, some years later Jackson Spratt sold his store to John Malachi Jones.
* Herman Jones, worked with his father John Malachi and Herman eventually took over operation of the store .
* Preston Jones, son of Herman assumed operations from his dad. Preston Jones eventually sold the store to David Dennis.
* On October 31, 2007, David Dennis sold Knotts Island Market to Tim and Bev Gilliam, who will proudly carry on the tradition of serving the folks that live here on Knotts Island.
Knotts Island Market offers visitors an endless variety of groceries, fresh-cut meat, produce, beer and wine. Fresh baked goods, a full service deli with pizza and subs made to order. We Also offer non-ethanol gasoline. Hunting and fishing licences and a wide variety of fishing tackle and baits. Try your luck at the North Carolina Education Lottery. A one-stop location for all your needs. Please stop by and pay us a visit. The slide show on the right shows you what you can expect to find when you visit here!