Kenneth J. Halliwell
SYNOPSIS (Retired in 2001)
A well-educated, experienced and dedicated technical-professional with contemporary technical and management knowledge and skills. One who excels in technical or project management-oriented positions that involve information systems and electronic technology; and promote a work environment that values timely and cost-effective service, team-derived objectives, clear written and oral communication, modern technical and administrative methods, and leadership-by-example.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
General Management: Organization design and development, financial forecasts and budgets, job descriptions, staff development, performance objectives and reviews, salary administration, written correspondence, and oral presentations.
Project Management: Cost-benefit analysis; and task identification, planning and monitoring via computer assisted methods using PERT, CPM and Gantt (timeline) charts.
Quality Assurance: Sampling and statistical analysis techniques, and process control and quality performance assessment via statistical methods.
Computer Systems: MS-Windows and Unix computer operating systems; C, C++, Delphi (Object Pascal), various "scripting" languages; popular MS-Windows word-processors and spreadsheets; SQL in a client-server, relational database (InterBase) environment; and internet/web technology.
Telecommunications: Wire and wireless digital and analog transmission systems; LAN's and WAN's, OSI model and TCP/IP.
Radio Telephone First Class with Ship Radar Endorsement (1967 - 1987)
Information Systems Engineer/Team-Leader 1998 - 2001
Lucent Technologies Corporation, Network Wireless Systems, Columbus, OH
· Directed an international (USA, Germany, Brazil and China) technical team, in conjunction with external consultants, in support of the technical design and implementation of a global supply-chain automation and e-commerce (B2B) project.
· Performed common technical project management tasks: e.g., task assignment, meeting facilitation, oral and written presentations, schedule and resource conflict resolution, status reports and inter-organizational liaison.
· Designed and developed software, with Delphi (Object Pascal), to perform and chart data transfer rate and propagation delay analysis of HTTP transactions on the corporation's WAN.
· Mentored team members and project management staff on technical matters.
Quality Systems Engineer/Programmer 1992 - 1998
Lucent Technologies Corporation, Network Wireless Systems, Columbus, OH
· Designed, developed, implemented and maintained various Quality Information Systems, using client-server technology, to support the Quality organization's endeavors at the Columbus wireless base-station equipment manufacturing plant.
· Researched and provided written reports recommending hardware and software architecture.
· Designed relational database information systems containing over 50 complexly related tables.
· Designed and developed MS-Windows user interfaces and associated program logic.
· Researched, designed and developed a Bayesian statistical data processing algorithm based on ideas presented in an AT&T technical paper on the QMP (Quality Measurement Plan) methodology by Dr. A. B. Hoadley.
· Designed and wrote over 100,000 lines of computer program logic with Progress 4gl, C and Delphi (Object Pascal) programming languages.
· Mentored computer programming team members.
Information Systems Engineer/Manager 1987 - 1992
AT&T Corporation, Computer Systems Service, WoodDale, IL
· Managed multi-million dollar budget; 15 technical-professionals; and many successful projects for computer operations, technical and business systems computer programming, and nationwide data systems access security administration.
· Established and annexed facilities for DEC VAX-11/780 and AT&T 3b15 minicomputers, remote channel-connected IBM-3800 printer and job-control terminals, associated data and voice telecommunications, and network control help-desk.
· Provided AT&T System-75 private telephone exchange; nationwide data communications network using X.25, multi-point private-lines, and dial-up lines; IBM-MVS and Unix computer operation; and C and Informix 4gl computer programs.
· Performed technical consultation to support Sales and Account Management departments in design and implementation of billing data management systems.
· Reduced initial annual three million dollar operation cost to one million by productivity improvements and subsequent workforce reduction.
· Maintained and verified high-level client satisfaction through personal interviews and Quality Feedback Surveys.
· Planned and managed rapid, orderly and on-schedule site shutdown to accommodate a massive business reorganization and site closure.
Technical Support Engineer/Manager 1978 - 1987
Teletype Corporation, Product Service, Elk Grove, IL
· Conceptualized, developed and managed the Product Service Technical Support division.
· Managed multi-million dollar budget; 32 technical-professionals in three departments; and projects for DEC PDP-11/44 and 11/70 minicomputer operations and programming; test and repair methods engineering, and technical training.
· Provided automated technical information systems, nationwide data communications network, electronic circuit board repair systems, remotely accessed data terminal and communications equipment functional test systems, and product installation repair training.
· Performed original system analysis and data entity-to-attribute relational design that led to a corporate-wide automated service management data system.
· Represented Product Service on Marketing's new-product introduction committee; and provided comprehensive project management and planning for all service related preparation activities.
· Performed highly successful, short-term (on-site for several weeks) technical support missions for the U.S. State Department in Singapore and Thailand, and other major customers in Great Britain and Italy.
· Earned Teletype's Engineering Excellence award in 1981.
Field Service Engineer 1976 - 1978
Teletype Corporation, Product Service, Cleveland, OH
· Performed hundreds of failure analysis and component-level repairs on complex analog and digital electronic circuits cards.
· Analyzed and corrected data communication equipment and systems failures, and related problems at scores of customer sites.
· Assisted Service Center Manager by developing improved work scheduling, and shipping and receiving procedures that were later implemented organization-wide.
U.S. Navy, Naval Security Group, Homestead, FL & Wahiawa, HI
· Planned, supervised, and performed diverse data, telephony and cryptographic equipment (wire and wireless) and systems installation, maintenance and repair.
· Operated and maintained two AN/FRT-39A radio transmitters (10 KW, frequency synthesized, HF and ISB) for five months.
· Granted TOP SECRET (TS/SI) security clearance.
· Earned rating of Petty Officer First Class (paygrade E6) within four years.
· Granted Honorable discharge.
Broadcast Radio Engineer 1967 - 1968
Elyria-Lorain Broadcasting Company, Elyria, OH
· Operated and maintained two radio transmitters for a one KW, AM station (WEOL); and a 50 KW-ERP, FM, frequency-multiplexed, stereo station (WBEA).
· Worked part-time while attending Lorain County Community College.
Computer Science with Telecommunication Technology emphasis
Adjunct courses: Accounting, Economics and Financial Management
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
Transcript (GPA 3.7/4.0) 1989
Business Law and Computer Science topics
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Industrial Technology with Management Science emphasis
Kent State University, Kent, OH
Television Systems Engineering
Capitol Radio Engineering Institute, Washington, D.C.
KY3 Telephony Encipher/Decipher (ciphony) Technology & Maintenance
U.S. Navy Cryptographic Repair School, Portsmouth, VA
Electronic Technology with Telecommunications Systems & Equipment emphasis
U.S. Navy Electronic Technician School, Great Lakes, IL
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Lorain County Community College, Lorain, OH