The MapMate "Replicator" is used to create "sync files" for exchanging data with other MapMate users. Usually the sync process works well, but if you ever have reason to suspect that not all your records have arrived where they should have done, this is the process to follow.
Compact your database
1. Create a backup of your copy of MapMate (see opposite).
2. On the main MapMate screen, click on the blue "dataset" label (top middle of the screen), and choose Tools - Compact. Wait for this process to finish.
There is also an option via the same "dataset" label to choose Tools - Repair, but this should not be needed unless you suspect that something is wrong with your installation. If you do need to run the Repair, you should back-up first and then make sure the process finishes before doing anything else with MapMate.
Reset the sync record
1. Open the Replicator, and ensure that at the top it says "Synchronising with Partner ..." [the CUK for the person you are trying to sync to]. If the correct partner is not showing, select the correct one by going to the Replicator's "Sync" menu and choosing Change Default Partner.
2. Go to the Replicator's "Special" menu and choose Reset Sync Record. You will see a message:
Click on OK.
3. You can now click on the Synchronise button to generate a sync file in the normal way. This file will contain all the records that are due to go to your partner, regardless of whether they've been sent before or not (if the partner already has the records they will be ignored, this process doesn't duplicate records at the receiving end).
Sync files not getting created properly
There have been a number of reports recently of people trying to create sync files, and the process apparently completing okay, but the resulting sync file not being saved on their computer, or else being saved as an .sqm file rather than .sqz (which is what it has to be in order to work properly). As far as I know this is most likely to be the result of having an old version of the “Compress.exe” file.
“Compress.exe” is the program file that MapMate uses to compress the sync files that it creates when you share data with other MapMate users via MapMate’s Replicator. If you have used “Smart Software Update” to upgrade your software you will probably find that the compress.exe has not been updated, and this will show itself if you try to create a sync file – the process appears to work but a file is not created.
You can check if you have the latest version of compress.exe by right-clicking on it, and choosing “Properties”. If you can see a version number that is 5.0 or higher then you have an up-to-date copy; if the version is lower than 5, or there is no version number shown, you have an old copy and will need to download the new one.
To sort this out you need to download a replacement Compress.exe file. This is one of the set of files contained within “MapMate-core-240.zip”, downloadable from the MapMate website, but I've also made a copy of the Compress.exe file separately that you can download direct here.
Once you have downloaded your copy of Compress.exe, save it into Program Files\MapMate (having first closed down MapMate), allowing it to over-write the version that is already there.