- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder (or 3 cloves, minced)
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 cans (15.5oz each) white kidney beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- In a large saucepan saute the chicken, onion and garlic in oil, over med. heat, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add beans, broth, chilies, and spices. Bring to a simmer.
- Add sour cream and half and half just before serving. Heat up but do not bring to a boil or it may separate.
* I often substitute the white kidney beans for butter beans for a richer flavour.
* If you are in a pinch you can chop up some canned jalepenos in place of the green chilies, but only put in half the amount.
* If you do not have enough broth, use enough water to substitute and add some chicken bouillon.
* You can sub half whipping cream and half milk for the half and half. I have also made it before with regular milk and soy milk. Tastes just fine it's just a little more soupy.
* This is not one of those chili's that you want to have simmering on the stove all day. I would not let it simmer for longer then 30 min. or it will loose most of it's flavour.