from Kitchen Simplicity
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Proof yeast in warm water for 5-10 min. Melt 1/4 cup butter and add to yeast mixture along with 1 cup of flour, sugar, salt, milk and 1 egg. Stir until smooth.
- Put remaining 4 cups flour in a large bowl and cut in 1 cup of cold butter until you get coarse crumbs. Add to yeast mixture and combine until well incorporated making sure not to over mix or knead. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 8 hours (or overnight).
- Punch dough down and score into four sections. Take one section out and knead on a lightly floured surface 6 times. Roll out into a 16 inch circle and cut into 8 wedges. Roll wedges up starting at the wide end. Place point side down on an ungreased baking sheet and curve to form a crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Beat the remaining egg with 1 Tbsp of water and brush over rolls. Bake for 20-25 min at 325, until lightly brown.
Makes: 32 rolls