- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tsp. basil (or other herb), optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 -4 Tbsp. cream (or milk)
- Peel and chop onion into large chunks. Peel garlic, leave whole. Chop potatoes into quarters or smaller, depending on the size.
- Lightly grease a baking pan with olive oil. Place onions, garlic, and potatoes inside and drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle on basil, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for 50 min-1 hour, until potatoes are tender.
- Place in a food processor, mixer, or bowl and mash. Add butter and cream to preference and beat until smooth. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
*My mom's rule of thumb was always 2 regular sized potatoes, per person, when mashing.
** I served these potatoes with Basil & Prosciutto Chicken Cordon Bleu, so I added a tsp of dried basil to the mix. Feel free to use whatever herb will compliment your dish.