- 1 mango, flesh removed and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- Puree mango, strawberries and sugar in a food processor or blender until smooth. Strain through a sieve to remove seeds.
- Rinse out blender (to get rid of seeds) and place remaining ingredients along with pureed fruit inside. Puree until smooth.
- Place a large resealable plastic bag into a large pitcher allowing the side of the bag to drape over. Poor in Sherbet. Remove from pitcher and seal tightly.
- Freeze for 45 min. Remove from freezer and mash the bag around in your hands to break up the ice crystals. Place back in the freezer and repeat the process every 30 min. until the entire mixture is frozen (2-3 hours). Set a timer so you don't forget!
- Freeze overnight. Leave out for 10-15 minutes before scooping and serving.
Makes approximately : 4 cups
* If your mango doesn't have enough flesh to make 2 cups just add more strawberries to equal a total of 3 cups of fruit.
* You could really make this with any soft seasonal fruit but you may need to add more sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit. I like to take a spoon and taste it once its all mixed together to make sure the sugar is right.
* The reason you mash up the sherbet as it freezes is to break up the ice crystals as they are forming so that you can get the smoothest possible consistency. Alternately, you could place this in a shallow dish and mash it with a whisk or spoon every 30 min. until frozen. If you do have an ice cream maker by all means use it!