- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add oil, coffee and milk. Whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well incorperated (about 2 min.). It will be quite runny.
- Grease and flour 2- 9 inch round pans. Pour the batter into the pans and bake at 325ºF for 25-30 min until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 min. before removing to cool completely.
* Because this cake is so moist it does not hold up well in a pan larger then 9 inches. This includes a 9x13 pan. The cake is too dense to hold up to it's own weight and will sink in the middle.
* If you want to make this in 2- 8 inch pans pour the extra batter into 6 muffin cups and bake off. The cupcakes will probably take about 20 min. So, keep a close eye on them.
* I often make a cup of strong instant coffee for this recipe.
* Instead of greasing and flouring pans I always grease the bottom and cut a circle of parchment to fit. This makes for easy removal. When you flip the cake out, remove the parchment immediately.
- 1/2 package (4oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- Whisk together the cream cheese and sugar until completely smooth. Mix in the pureed strawberries.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and fold into the strawberry cream cheese mixture.
- Line a 9 inch round pan (the same size you used for the cakes) with plastic wrap and pour the mousse inside. Freeze until solid.
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Bring cream to a boil over medium heat.
- Poor over chocolate. Let sit for a moment then stir until smooth.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Remove mousse from freezer and unwrap.
- Place one cake layer on serving platter. Position frozen mousse in the centre and top with remaining cake layer.
- Allow to thaw for 30 min, or so.
- Meanwhile drizzle with ganache and garnish with fresh strawberries.