from Kitchen Simplicity
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1.5 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup caramel topping
- Mix together oats, flour, 1 cup walnuts, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, instant coffee and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in oat mixture until all is evenly moistened (it will be quite sticky).
- Remove 2 cup of the batter and set aside. Scrape the remaining batter into a greased 15x10 inch pan. Smooth and spread with a rubber spatula until level.
- Pour caramel topping over all and dollop remaining 2 cups of batter over top, flattening a bit as you go. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes until edges are set and when a toothpick inserted in the centre produces fudgey crumbs.
Makes: 32 bars