- 1 recipe sweet shortcrust pasty
- 1 cup strawberry maple jam (or other)
- 1 recipe frangipane
- 1 handful sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 recipe maple whipcream
- Place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface (if you think it is too cold you can let it sit out for up to 15 min. before rolling). Flour the rolling pin and roll the pastry into a circle, 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a 9 inch tart pan or shallow pie plate. Press in and trim off the excess dough. You can patch any tears with the leftover trimmings. Spread the jam into the bottom of the tart and place in the freezer for 15 min. ( You do not have to use the full cup of jam, just to do it by eye and to your taste.)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove the shell from the freezer and spread the frangipane gently over the entire surface of the tart. Smooth the top and bake for 25 min until the top is poofy and a light brown. Sprinkle the almonds over the surface and return to the oven for another 5 min, or until the crust is golden and the frangipane is nicely tanned and poofy. There will be a bit of a jiggle, as there is with a freshly baked cheesecake, but this will set up as it cools. Serve with a dollop of maple whipcream.
* with the leftover dough you can make "cookies". Just roll it out again and cut into cookie shapes or squares.
- 225g flour
- 30g sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 110g unsalted butter, very cold (preferably frozen)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1-2 Tbsp. cold water
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt. Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture, using the largest holes. Quickly rub the fat into the flour, using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks with the almond extract in a separate bowl. Mix into flour mixture with a fork. Slowly add water, mixing as you go (You may need more, or less, just put enough water in for the dough to stick together).
- Form the dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
Makes enough for 1-9 inch tart
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 125g ground almonds
- 30g flour
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scraped down the bowl and add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. The batter will appear to curdle. This is what is it is supposed to do so do not panic (even though it is hard not too). Add the almond extract and beat for 30 seconds. Scrape down and with the beaters running spoon in the ground nuts and flour. Mix well. The mixture will still be slightly curdled looking, but that is mostly from the almonds.
Makes enough for 1- 9 inch tart
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Beat together until stiff peaks form.
Makes approx: 2 1/2 cups