*Recipe from Grandma (Betty Hall)
1 (9-in) unbaked pastry shell or Homemade Classic Pie Pastry (single-crust or double-crust depending on the design you choose)
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
2. If using a homemade pastry shell, roll the dough out to fill a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and flute edges. If using store bought crust skip to step 4.
3. If making the breaded edge like the picture shown, make a double-crust batch of Classic Pie Pastry. Split dough in half and roll out the first half to fill a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edges. Roll out the second half of the dough, cut three thin strips and braid together. Add the braids to the edge of the pie plate.
4. Pour prepared pie filling into crust. Loosely cover edges with tin foil to prevent edges from over burning.
5. Bake in the 425 degree oven for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. Cool before cutting. Garnish with whipped cream and nuts if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.