*Recipe from Granda (Betty Hall)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
48 undrained maraschino cherries
1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and cocoa powder; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
3. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until all has been added.
4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet.
5. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving the juice. Press down center of each ball with thumb, and place a cherry in the center of each cookie.
6. In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk. Heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. (Frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice if necessary).
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 10 minutes or until done. Remove to wire rack and cool. Cover and store at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze in airtight container for up to a month. This makes about 48 cookies.