2 cups of grated zucchini (not packed)
1 large shallot, finely minced
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup water (you may have to add 1/4 cup more depending on how wet your zucchini is)
1/2 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt (get a good brand like Fage)
1 cup grated cheddar, jack or pepper jack cheese (which ever you like)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt or
2 green onions, sliced for garnish
a sprinkle of smoked paprika for garnish
First make the Chipotle Cream so the flavors can meld.
- Chop 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. When I open a can of chipotles, I use what I need, then pack the remaining peppers and sauce in snack size zip lock bags. I usually pack 2 per bag and put all the little bags in a sandwich ziplock and pop them in the freezer. A can usually lasts me all year. When I need them I just take them out and chop away while they are frozen. They chop and thaw 1, 2, 3.
- Mix the chopped chipotles and sauce together with 1 cup of yogurt. Set aside.
- Whisk cornmeal, baking powder and spices together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt and 1/2 cup of water together until smooth.
- Gently squeeze the grated zucchini, removing excess water and add it to the egg-yogurt mixture. Mix in the minced shallots.
- Combine liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients. Don't over mix.
- Fold in the cheese.
- The batter should be like lumpy pancake batter. If it is too thick add a little more water. If it is too thin add cornmeal, 1 tablespoon at a time. The grated zucchini is pretty wet, and may alter exact amounts of water or cornmeal.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil over a medium low heat. Using a tablespoon, add one heaping spoonful of batter to the pan. Spread mixture evenly using the back of the spoon. Repeat, filling pan with fritters and cook over medium low heat. Cook until brown about 4 minutes, then flip and cook the other side, about another 4 minutes. You don't want these to brown too quickly or they will be raw inside, adjust heat accordingly.
- Remove from pan and set fritters on a plate covered with paper toweling to absorb excess oil, keep warm. Finish cooking the rest of the batter.
- Serve immediately, topped with a dollop of chipotle cream, sprinkled with smoked paprika and green onion.