Slightly adapted from: Gourmet Magazine, December 2005
• 1 refrigerated pie dough or your favorite recipe
• 4 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
• 2 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise then sliced thin (half moons)
• 1 large shallot, cut in half and sliced thin
• 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
• 1 cup grated Gruyere or Comte cheese
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- On a floured board, roll out dough into an 11" circle. Ease the crust into the quiche pan.
- Blind bake crust- place a piece of parchment over crust, fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take crust out of oven and remove parchment and weights.
- Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
While crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Discard bacon fat unless you are hardcore and want to saute your veggies in bacon fat. (if you do this, omit the olive oil)
- Add the olive oil to the pan, heat for 30 seconds, then add the shallots. Saute the shallots for minutes, then add the zucchini sprinkled with half of the salt and pepper. Saute until zucchini begins to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out pan, then pour in milk, cream, and remaining salt and pepper, heating it until just warm (feel free to use a clean saucepan). Remove from heat when warm.
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl, whisk thoroughly. Slowly whisk in the warmed milk/cream.
- Stir in the bacon, veggies and cheese.
- Pour mixture into the prepared crust. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25- 30 minutes until set.
- Let quiche cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting.