Home



 
 







This website has been created to record any oddities in the Kirklees area of England which may easily disappear from local  knowledge unless we record them now. Things like old, fading business signs painted onto buildings, village stocks, old lettering on pavements or post boxes or manhole covers.  In fact, any kind of oddity which may not survive and which would be of interest to anyone exploring this region’s past.  Our intention is to photograph them and record them as a lasting reminder that they once existed. In addition we will tell you a little bit about each of them.  Their history is inextricably interwoven with the history of Kirklees.

 
Moorbrook Mill, New Mill, Huddersfield - demolition.
            
              Demolition of Moorbrook Mill, New Mill
                                  June 2007


 
                      At Risk!!!!!!

Mount Pleasant school clocktower

After inspection of the buildings which were deemed unsafe, Mount Pleasant Primary School on the corner of Mount Street and Victoria Road in Lockwood, became a
priority for rebuilding. Work on the rebuild, in two phases, commenced in the summer of 2016 and completion intended for April 2018. The old buildings incorporated an iconic Victorian clocktower, built in 1875, which had become a Lockwood landmark, and a community campaign was launched to save the clocktower. The tower seems to have been retained as a separate entity on the architect's plans and when the relevant Council cabinet agreed to demolish the old building but retain the tower in March 2016 the campaign, backed by Huddersfield Civic Society, appeared to have attained its objective. However the Council then went on to issue a demolition order for the tower without explanation on 27th December 2017 to the dismay of the preservationists. The tower is in immediate danger and all around it is being demolished. Scaffolding has recently been erected around the tower itself.
Latest: sadly the clock tower has now been demolished (July 2018).


We may this minute be at risk of losing lots of curious  and interesting features of Kirklees that we usually take for granted.  We are talking about the type of things already featured on this site plus many more.  Do you know of anything which is under imminent threat of disappearing forever???  If so, please let us know immediately so that we can photograph and record it now. Please contact us, quoting “Kirklees Curiosities“ at  Huddersfield.localhistory@kirklees.gov.uk. Help us preserve a record of our past for present and future generations.

Thank you.



Too Late!!!

Its already too late to save some objects.  For whatever reason some curiosities have already disappeared from our streets.  A few examples are featured here
                     
                          Statue of Sir Robert Peel      
           (formerly in St. George's Square, Huddersfield)
 
                                     
Huddersfield Railway Station, St. George's Sqaure - with Peel Statue
               
                        Cab Shelter in Cleckheaton  
                                                   
Cab Shelter near Station Hotel, Cleckheaton
Theatre Royal, Kirkgate, Huddersfield
after the fire of 1880
Interior of the Theatre Royal, Huddersfield - after the fire of 1880
 
 
An Inscribed stone marking the place where famed highwayman William Nevison killed local innkeeper Darcy Fletcher, who was trying to apprehend him, has been long lost. It was originally erected near Howley Hall, Batley, and commemorated the incident in 1684. It is rumoured a local farmer, fed up with sightseers trampling over his land, moved it and buried it in an unknown spot in the early 1900s.
 
Recently disappeared!!!!

      The pancake dog (see Dewsbury) but it will
       be back once its home has been renovated
    
Road signs and milestones in Holmfirth
 
 

 Walker School and Inscription,
 see Thornhill page
 

Recent additions to the website

Dewsbury: John Greenwood shop and ghostsign

Cleckheaton: Sladdin's, The Pygmalion, Wm Hardill & Sons

Heckmondwike: ghostsigns for Oade's Garage, Gledhill plumbers, Oakwood Roof Repairs

Liversedge: J.W. and F.N. Priestley woollen manufacturers

Thurstonland village

Batley: J. T. and J. Taylor woollen manufacturers

Thornhill: Thornhill Hall, Doubting Castle and three important vicars of Thornhill - John Rudd, Joshua Ingham Brooke and John Michell