Past Heritage Projects

   Over the past few years Kingston Peninsula Heritage has been active in many heritage projects. A few are listed below.

   2016

   -  The summer exhibit at the museum included a display of steamboat artifacts, pictures and information including the wheel of the Hampton, engine gong of B.F. Tibbets' first boat, the Reindeer (1845). Interactive items included barrel rolling, knot tying, boat trimming and block and tackle.

   - June 4 - Trail day at Moss Glen Nature Trail where several volunteers cleared and generally spruced up the trail. The weather wasn't great but hot dogs and drinks were provided for those who did show up. The painted trillium blossoms were out in full force.   


   200th Anniversary of First Steamboat - May 19
     - To commemorate and celebrate the 200th anniversary of the first steamboat in New Brunswick (see St. John River Steamboats), a joint concert was planned between the MacDonald Consolidated School Choir and the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir at 7pm Thursday May 19 at Trinity Church in Kingston. The concert included many period songs and a few  recent New Brunswick favorites. The 1785 Hedgeland Organ was played by local musician Carolyn Murray. You even heard the sound of a steamboat engine. The concert was followed by refreshments in the Parish Hall. Free will offering only.
   A second concert was held jointly with Queens County Heritage at 7:30pm on May 20 in Gagetown at the Queens County Court House. A few steamboat era ghost rose for the occasion. Both concerts were great events with 150 folks out at Kingston and 50 at Gagetown.

      - April - Steamboat Era presentations to Cambridge Narrows and MacDonald Consolidated Schools

      - The Annual General Meeting took place at 7:30 pm on Thursday February 18 at the John Fisher Memorial Museum. 
 
     

 
  2015

 
     
     
Carter House renovations are complete with
  the re-addition of a back summer kitchen. The
  grand opening took place July 2 with a great 
  turnout and lovely evening.












     - July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the community of Clifton.

     - Three Heritage River Cruises were organized with Kings County Heritage, Queens County Heritage and the St. John River Society. Trips between Saint John, Long Reach, Gagetown and Fredericton were a great success with excursions on the river enjoyed by many.
       

                                                2016 Steamboat 200th Anniversary

   In 1802 the chief land surveyor for New Brunswick, Douglas Campbell claimed, "Ten miles of road fit for any kind of wheel carriage is nowhere to be found in New Brunswick".
  Transportation throughout the province was primarily on the waterways powered bymanpower or sail. Weather dependent, it could sometimes take five days to move passengers or freight between Saint John and Fredericton, a distance of only ninety miles.
   During the early 1800's a new technology, the steam engine, had been installed in the first commercial boats. New Brunswick quickly realized the benefit steam powered boats would have in the development of the province. 
   On May 20th, 1816 the first steamboat in New Brunswick, the General Smyth, plied its way from Saint John to Fredericton. This boat was the fourth in North America and was the beginning of 130 years of steamboat use throughout the provincial inland and coastal waters. These craft were critical in moving people, food, equipment, resources and the products of New Brunswick.
   To commemorate and celebrate the 200th anniversary of the start of this wonderful era, a project has been undertaken to develop river cruises between the major traditional terminal points throughout the watershed of the St. John River. These would include the main artery from Saint John to Fredericton, and also the Kennebecasis, Belleisle, Washademoak, Grand Lake and upriver points.
   The plan is to develop relevant heritage programs which would be presented both "on boat" and at "boat stops" during the cruises. Existing cruise boat operators on the river would be used. Heritage programs would be developed and carried out by various heritage groups along the river.    

  2015 Heritage River Cruises Pilot Project
    
 
   In preparation for the 2016 commemorations three trial runs  were made under the title "Heritage River Cruises".  Heritage  programs were developed and delivered by the associated  heritage group as shown below. Funding for these trial runs  was provided by the New Brunswick Provincial  Commemorations Programme and supplemented by a  portion of the ticket price.
    The cruises were advertised through heritage contact lists,  newspaper articles in the Telegraph Journal (March 5) and  Fredericton Gleaner (March 9), and heritage fairs.
    Ticket sales began on February 27 with all three cruise sold  out by March 11. Significant waitlists were obtained for all  cruises.
    Local governments including the Town of Hampton and the  Village of Gagetown showed great interest and provided  significant support for the 2015 cruises.  

                                                                                                               
                                            May 31 - Saint John Marina to Hampton

      The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) was prepared  for this cruise but unfortunately due to water level it had to be diverted to travel from Saint John Marina to Long Reach  (Whites Bluff Wharf). 
     The "On Boat" program included two half hour performances by the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir. The choir, in period costumes, performed primarily early 1800's period music with some modern classic New Brunswick tunes. Whites Bluff Wharf was the location of the "Boat Stop" where passengers disembarked and proceeded to the historic Long Reach United Church. Kings County Heritage presented the impact Hampton and area had on the steamboat era, including a display of a variety of artifacts. Steamboat poetry was recited and a period luncheon was provided.

                                          June 6 - Saint John Marina to Gagetown

      The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) was used for the run to Gagetown because of inspection issues with the Voyageur II. The date for the trip was also changed. 
     The "On Boat" program included Wolastoqiyik interpretation, with a stop at Whites Bluff Wharf where the was an hour concert performed by the Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir. There was a lunch provided on board and the cruise continued on to Gagetown.


                                         June 21- Fredericton to Gagetown

      The Wolastoq Cruise Boat (45 passenger) travelled from Fredericton to Gagetown on June 21. The "On Boat" program was organized by the St. John River Society and included a presentation on the recent Canadian Heritage River designation. Interpretative talks were given on the Wolastoqiyik, French, English Planter and Loyalist people, as well as the steam boat era.
Tom Richards from Kings Landing provided several period music sets on board. 
   The "Boat Stop" at Gagetown was organized by Queens County Heritage and held at the historic Queens County Courthouse. Period music was provided by Michelle Daigle and Don Rigley during a tasty period lunch. This was followed by a play with characters and themes from the steamboat era.
   


Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir on Whites Bluff Wharf













 
Above Evandale on the upper deck















   





Arrival at Gagetown










  




Queens County Courthouse reenactors












   - CHRISTMAS PARTY

    Thanks to those who came out to the Kingston Peninsula HeritagChristmas Party at Carter House on November 27. The food was great and the company better. Merry Christmas!

  


 
   2014
 
     - July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the designation of the St. John River as the 38th Heritage River in Canada (Sept. 2013) with old and new pictures and artifacts on display. 
 
 
   2013
 
      - June - Coronation Tea (in conjunction with the Anglican Parish) celebrated the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's coronation.
 
      - July/August - The summer gallery commemorated the coronation with various artifacts and artwork
 
      - The museum collections committee continued to update the virtual collection.
 
      - The Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir presented the War of 1812 concert at various locations including the commemoration of the March of the 104th in Fredericton (February). Other performances included the IODE annual meeting, School District 8 Heritage Fair, Kings Landing, Brundage Point, Grand Manan, St. Andrews Blockhouse and Carleton Martello Tower.
 
      -  The commemoration of the "Grand Communications Route" in association with the War of 1812 activities saw a canoe reenactment from Cabano,PQ to Saint John during June and July.

 
   2012
 
    - July/August - The summer gallery presented a show of Kathy Thornhill's photography entitled "Backroads of New Brunswick
 
     - The Kingston Peninsula Heritage Choir was formed in late winter and performed the first War of 1812 concert at Mount Hope Farm in June. Other concerts were held with a wonderful joint concert with MacDonald Consolidated School at Trinity Church in the fall. 
                       
                                             
 
     - The museum collections committee continued through the winter to update the virtual collection and catalog artifacts.     
 
  2011
     
 
    - July/August - The summer gallery presented a show by Chas Mckay of wood sculptures entitled "Woodcuts".
 
     - "Charlotte Amanda Whelpley's Wedding Dress" was restored and presented in an upgraded display module in the museum.
 
     -  A display of Champlain's astrolabe was opened in the museum in August. Champlain would have used this navigational tool during his explorations in eastern North America.
 
    -  Kingston Peninsula Heritage commemorated the 400th anniversary of the first European settlement  in New Brunswick with a celebration on Caton's Island on September 10th. Various speakers including the Lieutenant Governor, Graydon Nicholas attended.
 
 
 
     -
 
 
 
      - Upgrading the John Fisher Memorial Museum
   
 
 
Comments