Thomas King and Family
of Louisa County, Virginia
Chapter 1 Thomas King
Thomas King was a yeoman planter, typical of the independent small plantation owner that in the 1700s populated Jefferson's idealized Virginia. We rely on his sons' Revolutionary War records for his birth date of 1714. He lived the last 50 years of his life in Louisa County, Virginia, located in the central piedmont of the largest, most populous and richest of the British colonies and new American states. During his life span Louisa evolved from an inaccessible backcountry settlement to a springboard of western migration. Louisa is located about midway between Richmond and Charlottesville. Thomas King and his family lived close to a main route between the two cities. No doubt Jefferson, Patrick Henry and other heroes of the Revolution passed through Louisa frequently. Thomas’ eldest son, Sackville, owned an Ordinary (an Inn) along a main road through Louisa from 1773 – 1777.
The people of Louisa were strong supporters of the rebellion against British authority. Patrick Henry lived nearby and was a representative at the House of Burgesses.
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
Forbid it, Almighty God -- I know not what course others may take; but as for me -- give me liberty or give me death!" Speech to the Second Virginia Convention, 20 March 1775. http://www.pointsouth.com/csanet/greatmen/henry/henry1.htm
Thomas King sent five of his sons to fight in the American Revolution, one of whom (John) served in George Washington's personal guard at Valley Forge. And although he was in his sixties by the time of the revolutionary war, Thomas helped provision the American armies with the surplus from his small plantation.
Thomas had eight sons and four daughters. His descendants would help populate the more fertile lands beyond the Cumberland Gap. Some are known to have migrated to Tennessee, South Carolina, and Indiana. Others remained in Virginia. The descendants of Thomas King have by now certainly spread throughout many states of the union.
We know little of the women in his life but they must have been as strong, courageous, patriotic and hard working as the men of the family. While the men faced physical risks and hardships living on the frontier and in war, the life of a colonial frontier woman was equally hard and perhaps even riskier. They bore many children. Many died as a consequence of childbirth. The women often did not live to see their children grow up. A man often married several times. Living alone with children in such a subsistence economy would seem impossible. And unfortunately, because of the customs and conditions of the times, few records were kept of the women. However they did recognize and acknowledge their rights as shown by many land deeds.
Thomas' first wife was named Sarah, based on the following land deed recorded in 1751 when Thomas was 37years of age:
Louisa County, Virginia Deed Book A and B, 1742-1759.
Abstracted and Compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis. Bellevue, Washington 1976. page 69:
"p.444-445. 16 Oct. 1751 Thomas King of St. Martin's Par., Louisa Co., Planter, and Sarah, his wife, to John Pettus of same, Gent. (pounds)120 currt. money. 214 acres; part of a tract granted to Shirley Watley by patent 25 May 1734; conveyed to Joseph Wade 6 Oct. 1737; conveyed to William Harris, and by sd. Harris to sd. King by deed 28 Oct 1747. The other part of afsd. land was bequeathed by the Last Will and Testament of Edward Bullock, dec'd., unto Lucy Tate, wife of William Tate; by same conveyed to Joseph Wade 6 Oct 1737; conveyed to William Harris; by Harris to sd. King 28 Oct 1747 of record in Hanover Co... corner of Wm Thomson's in James Harris' line...Richard Davenport's line...David Smith's line...on Main Road to Elk Creek...south fork of Little Rocky Creek...another corner of David Smith's, up the Creek...John Hales's...Mark Wheeler's line.
Wit: Richard Wright, William Pettus, John Wright, John Carter, William Berrey.
22 Oct. 1751 acknowledged by Thomas King. Sarah, his wife, declared her consent."
[The deed shows Shirley Watley as the original patentee. The spelling of 'Watley' in the Library of Virginia land patent index is 'Whatley'.]
This land patented by Watley on Elk Creek, Louisa County, is east of the town of Mineral and northeast of Frederick Hall and Bumpass, and now may be covered at least in part by Lake Anna. It's about 15-20 miles from Meadowood, Thomas’ subsequent home. Thomas and Sarah lived on this land from October 1747 to October 1751. We have no documentary evidence to prove that the Thomas King of Elk Creek is the same Thomas King subsequently found at Meadowood further west in Louisa County, but assume they are the same.
We are uncertain of Sarah’s family name. Others have suggested it was Alexander, with a marriage in Culpepper, VA in 1745, and also possibly as Harrison, and possibly as Sackville by the descendants of his son, Walter King. Sarah is presumed to be the mother of the first of Thomas’ children beginning about 1748 - Sackville, William, Thomas Jr., and Elisha. By July 1758 we know Thomas was married to Tillah (Zillah) White and resided at Meadowood, his home for the next 40 years. Tillah may have been mother to John, Philip and Walter and probably the daughters, Margaret, Catherine, Martha, and Elizabeth. Benjamin was born in 1767 and was the youngest son. His mother was, almost certainly, Tillah (Zillah) since he named his first daughter Zilla. A hand-written note handed down from Magdalena King (grand-daughter of Benjamin), refers to Benjamin's mother and father as Thomas and Sarah, however it is clear she did not know details about her great-grandfather. The following is a copy of that document:
Figure 1-1. Magdalena's genealogy (front).
Figure 1-2. Magdalena's genealogy ((back).
"Sons of Thomas & Sarah King who were in the Revolution. Brothers of Benjamin King. My grandfather (Maggie).
Wm King – Private in Co 3 – of 3rd Va. Reg.
John King – born Louisa Jan 12, 1758, enlisted Jan 2, 1777 – 3rd Va Regiment – Discharged Jan 6, 1780. Was a member of Geo. Washington’s Body Guard.
See book – “Commander-in-Chief Guard.”
Elisha King enlisted Jan 1, 1777 in 14 Va. Regiment in Capt. Moses Hawkins Co. Promoted Sergeant June 1777. Promoted Ensign July 4, 1779. Promoted Captain – lieutenant Feb 15, 1781. In Jan 1779 he was a member of Capt. John Overton’s Co – 10 Va. Regiment. - (unsigned)
[The note may have been written by one of Maggie’s parents, however the dark ink portion is presumed to have been written by Magdalena King. The word 'Maggie' is in the same handwriting as that of the following genealogy signed by Magdalena. Perhaps it was a note handed down to her by her parents. This note, the King genealogy and the Miller genealogy were passed to me by Claude B. King, my grandfather, in 1962. His father was Magdalena's brother, Enoch Wood King].
Sarah, of the 16 Oct 1751 deed, may have, in fact, been the mother of William, John and Elisha as indicated by Magdalena’s note, although we know Thomas was later married to Zillah (Tillah) White who was probably the mother of all the other children. Magdalena however clearly referred to Sarah. A possible explanation is that Thomas married a third time to another Sarah. We have support for this from a notation concerning his son, John King and John’s wife Sarah LeMaster in South Carolina. They were married in 1790. The note refers to John being the son of Thomas and Sarah Parker King (see book: “LeMaster, U.S.A.”). We know however that Thomas was married to Tillah at the time of John’s birth in 1758. From 1777 to 1784 a John and Sarah Parker resided at the plantation, known to us as Cottage Hill, immediately adjacent to Meadowood, the home of Thomas King. Sarah Parker may have survived her husband and married Thomas late in life, and thus become the Sarah referred to by Magdalena as the “mother” of Thomas’ children.
Figure 1-3. Magdalena's King genealogy (front).
Figure 1-4. Magdalena's King genealogy (back).
Enoch Wood son of Elisha B. and Ann King was born in Rollington Oldham Co. Ky. June 24th 1845. Died in New Albany, Ind Nov 14th 1882 Aged 37 yr 6 mos 18 days.
Elisha B. son of Benjamin King was born in Louisa Co. Va. Nov 9th 1795. Died in Bradford Harrison Co. Ind. July 21st 1854.
Benjamin King came with his parents from England at an early date unknown to me.
Elisha B. King & Ann Miller were married in Floyd Co. Ind. Nov 1, 1835. She was the third wife. There was a daughter by the first marriage, two sons by the second. The daughter married and lived in northern Ind. One son died in childhood. Gus the other was in Louisiana when last heard from near 30 yrs ago.
E.B. & A. King had seven children but two of whom lived beyond infancy. Those two were Magdalena who lives and Enoch W. deceased.
(signed) Magdalena King"
April 2, 1901
New Albany, Ind
Magdalena, we now understand, did not know where her grandfather, Benjamin, was born. Benjamin was born in Louisa County, Virginia, at Meadowood. Nor did she know when Benjamin's father, Thomas, came to Virginia, or if he also was born there. We still don't know, and may never know. Thomas may have been born in Louisa County or may have migrated there, although if the latter, it must have been before 1747.
That Thomas may have been born in Louisa County, the only evidence (so far) is circumstantial and based on the geographic proximity of land patents in 1729 to a Peter King and John White, Tillah White's father. However no other connection to Peter King has been found.
Figure 1-5. Map of Louisa County circa 1745. From Louisa County, Virginia, Deed Books A and B, 1742-1759. By Rosalie Edith Davis. Deep Creek and Indian Creek can be seen as branches of the South Anna River in the lower central portion of the map. They define the location of the King and White land patents.
Research has suggested that one prominent King family in Stafford County in the later 1600s, and possibly ancestors of Thomas, may have been established by one of two cousins both named Robert King – one going to Virginia, and the other ‘north’ across the Potomac River to Somerset County, Maryland.
During the first half of the twentieth century Goode King Feldhauser did extensive research on the descendants of a William King of Stafford County (see the compilation of this research by Dr. G.M.G. Stafford entitled, “The King Family” and “John Edwards King, of Kentucky”, by Mrs. Feldhauser, in the Register of the Kentucky Historical Society). She refers to a son of William, George, going to Louisa County “at an early age with his uncle, Thomas.” According to her genealogy Thomas King of Louisa County was the younger brother of William, and the third son of William Alfred King and Sophia Burgess King.
Chapter 2 Peter King and John White
In the years 1723, 1725 and 1729 a man named Peter King obtained three separate land patents:
http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/drawer/disk19/CC150/0425/K0965?9, http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/drawer/disk19/CC150/0425/K0965?10, http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/drawer/disk19/CC150/0425/K0965?11
They are relatively close together on tributaries of the South Anna River in what are now Hanover and Louisa Counties. The last of these, for 1,987 acres, was obtained on the 27th of September, 1729.
2-1. Digital copy of Peter King's
original land patent of 1729. page 411-412.
"King, Peter 27 Sept. 1729
1987a. On both sides of the Southanna and adjoining the lines of John Clark, Andrew Hunter, &.
Patents 13, 411
George the Second À To All À Know ye that for diverse good cause and consideration but more especially for and in consideration of the sum of ten pounds of good and lawful money forever paid to our Receiver General of our Revenues in this our colony and Dominion of Virginia We have given granted and confirmed and by these presents for us our heirs and successors do give grant and confirm unto Peter King of Hanover County one certain tract or parcell of land containing one thousand five hundred and eighty seven acres lying and being on both sides of the Southanna and joining to the lines of Mr. John White, Anderson and Finney, John Clark, Andrew Hunter and Mr. William Clopton, Junior in the county of Hanover aforesaid and bounded as follows (to wit) Begining at Mr. Cloptons corner red oak and birch on the south side of the Southanna running up the same by the watercourse making on a straight line nine hundred and eighty seven poles to several marked trees on the river bank thence across the same north forty seven east one hundred and eighty three poles to a red oak thence north forty-three west one hundred and thirty two poles to a white oak thence along Mr. White's line north seventy and a half west one hundred poles to a white oak on the north side of the Southanna thence down the same by the watercourse making in a straight line two hundred and five poles to the mouth of Deep Creek thence up the creek by the watercourse making in a straight line two hundred and six poles to a hiccory on the said creek thence south fifty three east two hundred and forty poles to several saplings thence south forty nine east one hundred and forty poles to a shrubby white oak thence south twenty one east one hundred and nineteen poles pines thence south twentywest one hundred and ten poles to a pine thence south fifty nine west one hundred and sixteen poles to a red oak and hiccory in Anderson and Finneys line thence along their line south twenty east eighty poles to a pine and red oak sapling thence south seventy five east sixty four poles to a great pine thence south fifty seven east eighty poles to a pine in John Clark's line six poles from his corner pine thence along Clarks line south seventeen east one hundred and forty two poles to three pines in the said line thence south sixty two east one hundred and sixty four poles to Andrew Hunters corner pines thence south thirty three east one hundred and twenty poles to two white oaks by a branch in Hunters line thence south eighty four east one hundred and seventeen poles to a black oak by a branch thence north twenty two east one hundred and sixty poles to a pine by the side of a hill thence north fifty seven east one hundred and fourteen poles to Mr. Cloptons corner several marked trees by a slash thence along his line north forty five east forty poles to the beginning Withall To have & hold To be hold yielding and paying Provided In witness of our trusty and welbeloved William Gooch, Esq Our Lieutenant Governor and commander in chief of our said colony and Dominion at Williamsburgh under the seal of our said colony the twenty seventh day of September one thousand seven hundred and twenty nine in the third year of our reign. William Gooch."
Peter King's 1729 land patent was in what is now
southeastern Louisa County, along the South Anna River mostly on the south side
lying downstream (south) from Deep Creek.
Deep Creek is a small tributary flowing northeast into the South Anna
River. A portion of his land was on the
north side above the mouth of Deep Creek.
The land was close to and may have included what is now called the town
of South Anna.
Figure 2-2. View of a portion of the land comprising Peter King's 1729 land patent just south of the South Anna River and Deep Creek taken September 2000. This view was taken looking south from E. Old Mountain Road just west of the intersection with Cartersville Road.
On the same day, 27 September 1729, John White obtained a patent for 1,888 acres lying in part on the south side of the South Anna River upstream from Deep Creek and land on the north side of the South Anna River including Indian Creek. Peter King and John White had adjacent land patents and were immediate neighbors living along the South Anna River on either side of Deep Creek. Most likely they were close friends.
2-3. Digital copy of John White's
original land patent of 1729. page 399-400.
"White, John 27 Sept. 1729
1888a. On both sides of the South Anna, and Indian and Little Creeks.
George the second To All Know ye that for divers good cause and consideration but more especially for and in consideration of the sum of nine pounds ten shillings of good and lawful mony forever was paid to our Receiver General of our Revenues in this our Colony and Dominion of Virginia We have given granted and confirmed and by these presents for us our heirs and successors do give grant and confirm unto John White of Hanover County one certain tract or parcell of land containing one thousand eight hundred and eighty eight acres lying and being on both sides of the South Ann and Indian and Little Creeks in the county aforesaid and bounded as follows (to wit) Begining at a white oak on the north side of the river running south seventy and one half degrees east one hundred poles to a red oak thence north forty seven degrees east sixty poles to a pine thence north forty three degrees west three hundred and twenty poles to a black oak thence north forty seven degrees east one hundred and eight poles to a black oak thence north forty three degrees east one hundred and eighty eight poles to a red oak sapling on a ridge then north eighty seven degrees west sixty Indian Creek in all three hundred and ninety two poles to several red oak saplings in Capt. Clarks line thence along the same south three degrees west ninety four poles to his corner gum thence along his other line North eighty seven degrees west two hundred sixty six and a half poles to his corner several marked trees thence south forty six and a half degrees east four hundred and twenty poles Little Creek in all eight hundred and forty eight poles to Deep Creek thence down the same by the watercourse making in a straight line one hundred and twelve poles to the mouth thereof in the South Anna thence up the same by the watercourse making in a straight line two hundred and thirteen poles to the beginning With All To have hold to be holder yielding and paying provided In Witness our trusty and welbeloved William Gooch Esq Our Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of our Said Colony and Dominion at Williamsburgh under the seal of our Said Colony the twenty seventh day of September one thousand seven hundred and twenty nine in the third year of our reign William Gooch."
Figure 2-4. View of a portion of the land in John White's 1729 land patent. This view was taken looking north from E. Old Mountain Road about 100 yards northwest of where it crosses Deep Creek. The small lake derives from a small, unnamed tributary of the South Anna River.
Figure 2-5. Map of the area of southeastern Louisa County including the land patents of Peter King and John White.
Figure 2-6. Detail map. Route 640 is E. Old Mountain Road. Just touching the bottom of the lower circle 640 is a thin gray line representing Deep Creek. The South Anna River is the thick gray line. The picture of Peter King's land was taken looking south just above the 'D' in Cartersville Rd. The picture of John White's land was taken where the lower circle 640 is looking north. The ink mark lying close to the South Anna River just above Harts Mill Road was the location of Meadowood, the name given to Thomas and Tillah King's home.
Figure 2-7. A view of the South Anna River from the bridge where Harts Mill Road crosses the river. John White's land patent included both sides of the South Anna River for a long distance, from where Indian Creek Road (Route 699) now crosses the river, past the crossing of Hart's Mill Road and down to Peter King's line on the north side of the river. From that line down to Deep Creek Peter King had the north bank and John White had the south bank of the South Anna River. Below Deep Creek Peter King had both sides of the river.
Figure 2-8. A view of the South Anna River from the bridge for Indian Creek Road (Route 699).
Figure 2-9. Topographic map showing area of John White's land grant and Meadowood (ink dot). Campbell's Creek runs through the property. Campbell's creek was named Little Creek in the original land patent, and later also known as Meadow Swamp Creek and Mud Swamp Creek (according to the maps prepared by Kenneth M. Lancaster). Deep Creek is below the lower edge of this map. Hart's Mill Road is numbered 647. Meadowood (ink dot) lies just above Hart's Mill Road.
Twenty-nine years later, in 1758, Thomas King is married to John and Catherine White's daughter, Zillah (Tillah). Was Thomas the son of Peter King? Did Thomas eventually marry the 'girl next door'. What happened to Peter King? What happened to his property? What happened to his family? We have no documentary information at this time to otherwise make a connection between Peter King and Thomas King. It could simply be a coincidence. Thomas King may have come from somewhere else. We have no records of a subsequent Peter King family or other descendants in the area at this time. His property was of course sold. We have a deed that suggests Peter King was "late" of Hanover County in 1752.
"LOUISA CO VA - Misc. DEEDS - 1750's
(ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/louisa/deeds/misc0000.txt - to find this go to www.rootsweb.com/~vagenweb/, click on USGenWeb Archives, then on Virginia, then on Louisa, then on deeds, then on misc0000.txt.)
26 August 1752 (25 yr of reign of Sovereign King George 2nd) Roger Thomson of
parish of Fredericksville parish and co of Louisa & David Shelton “for 150 pounds
current money of Va 494 acres (200 acres pur of late Poher King of Hanover Co; 244
acres pur of late Robert Cauthorns of Hanover Co; other 50 acres pur of one William
McCormack, late of county of Hanover.”
(The misspelling of Peter (Poher) is clearly a transcription error, since we know Peter King owned the land in question.)
The most probable interpretation of this deed is that Peter King died in 1752 or just before. Unexplained however is what happened to his descendants. Surely he had other children than Thomas (if that was the case). We have no indication at this time of other descendants in Louisa County. Perhaps his wife died, he remarried and moved away leaving only Thomas, about age38, to remain in Louisa County. The land patent record shows a Peter King obtaining two patents in Brunswick County close to the North Carolina border in 1745 and 1746. Searching the internet reveals a genealogy of a Peter King (by Geraldine Olson King - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~olson/peter1.htm) who lived in Stokes County, North Carolina, but had previously lived in Hanover County, Virginia, with several children born there. (At that time Louisa County didn't exist and was a part of Hanover County). There is no mention of a Thomas in that genealogy however. Subsequent Y-dna tests have shown no connection between male descendants of Peter King in the Geraldine Olson King genealogy and Thomas King’s male descendants.
Where did Peter King come from? The Register of St. Peter's Parish of New Kent County records the following:
"Robt sone of Robt King bapt. ye 11th of March, 1687/8.
Alexander son to Robt King bapt. ye 19th of Decemr, 1689.
Elleoner Daughter of Henr Keeble bapt the 30 October, 1689.
Mary daut of Tho. King by Mary his wife bapt. the 11 June, 1689 [or 99].
Peter son of Tho. King baptised the 7 October, 1694."
(Register of St. Peter's Parish, pages 1-20 - New Kent Co. VA. http://www.rootsweb.com/~vanewken/stpete01.html )
Was our Peter King born in New Kent County (or nearby), 7 October 1694? It is possible. Could Peter have named his son after his own father? The Robert King and the Thomas King referred to in the Register could be from a well-established King family known to have existed in Stafford County (Northern Neck) at this time. Other researchers have connected our Thomas King to this Stafford County King family directly.
We have no documentary evidence to support these plausible connections. If Peter was the father of our Thomas he would have been 20 when Thomas was born in 1714 and he would have been 35 years of age and Thomas would have been 15 years of age when he obtained the third land patent in 1729. Thomas would have been approximately 38 when Peter King died (or moved away). Thomas, at the age of 33, made the purchase of a property with his wife Sarah nearby in Louisa County in 1747. Did he sell it four years later in 1751 to move back to his father's land near Deep Creek? We have no record.
The given name, Peter, never recurs in the subsequent generations descending from Thomas King, and is not present in any of the preceding generations of Kings in Stafford County. It may be that in spite of the geographic proximity of Peter King to John White, there is no other connection to our Thomas King.
Although, at this time, we know little of Peter King, we do know more of his neighbor and Thomas' future father-in-law, John White. John and Kathrine White (Brain) stayed in Louisa County on their plantation. [Kathrine may have acquired the name Brain after becoming John White’s widow.] Thomas married their daughter Zillah or Tillah, and eventually Thomas and Tillah inherited a portion of the original 1729 White land patent and lived there in a home they called Meadowood for the rest of their lives.
Chapter 3 Thomas King and Zillah White
John White and his family lived in Louisa County on his land patent on the banks of the South Anna River for the rest of his life. Further search of the records would probably reveal many interesting details of his life. One deed dated 20 Nov 1749 shows that he sold a portion of his land at that time to John Watson.
P. 381-382. 20 Nov. 1749 John White of St. Paul's Par., Hanover Co., to John Watson Of Louisa Co. £85. 215 acres and plantation and a corn mill…head of branch, to the south thereof in Deep Cr…John Thompson's line.
Wit: Elisha White, Rees Hughes, John Holt.
24 April 1750 proved by Elisha White, Rees Hughes.
22 May 1750 proved by oath of John Holt.
[from: Davis, Rosalie Edith. Louisa County, Virginia Deed Books A and B 1742-1759, p. 55.]
John White may have died sometime before 1755 or between 1755 and 1758, depending on the interpretation of the following:
From the St. Paul’s Vestry Book:
1755. Land Processioned, St. Paul’s Parish:
Robert Brain, for the land of John White’s orphans. (St. Paul’s:324 et seq)
(since John is listed as a processionor, he may have done this in anticipation of his death; or this John may be a relative)
6 July 1758 a deed was filed carrying out the terms of his will. Part of his remaining land was to be equally divided among six of his children, Edith, Elisha, William, Tillah, Helina Maria, and Martha.
"p.72-73 John White late of St. Paul's Parish in Hanover Co. by his last will and testament has devised & bequeathed part of the Estate to be equally divided among six of his testators children to wit: Edith White now wife of John Holt, Elisha White, Willm. White, Tillah now the wife of Thomas King, Helina Maria now the wife of Joseph Holt and Martha now the wife of Sackvill Brewer, we the subscribers with the consent of the Testators Exrs. equally divided that part of sd. White's Estate according to the sd. Will (excepting one negroe woman slave named Lyddia which we have jointly agreed to lend to Kathrine Brain our mother) and the rest of the Estate both real and personal lent to our sd. Mother by the sd. Testators Will to be enjoyed during her natural life and then to be equally divided amongst us.
6 July 1758.
Wit: James Brewer, Edmond Brewer, John Henderson & Philip Brewer, Sarah Brewer
23 June 1761 proved by the oaths of John Henderson & Philip Brewer.”
(from: Davis, RE. Louisa County, Virginia, Deed Books C,C1/2,D,D1/2. 1759-1774.)
This deed seems to imply that there was additional land not to be divided among the six of them and that there probably were more heirs than these six. John White’s widow, Kathrine Brain, apparently married Robert Brain by 1758. Sometime before 1758 Thomas King married Tillah White.
Several survey maps of the White land were obtained from Kenneth M. Lancaster of Louisa County, a surveyor and descendant of subsequent owners of Hartland. The first of these shows his map of the original White land patent.
Figure 3-1. This is the title on the map of the White land patent by Mr. Lancaster shown below. Unfortunately there is no date on this copy to show when it was made or when the subdivisions shown were valid.
This survey map is drawn with the top of the map oriented towards the west. The next image is rotated 90 degrees to place north at the top following the convention of all of the other maps shown.
The area outlined in purple was named "Hartland" in the latter 19th century but was formerly known as Meadowood when occupied by Thomas and Zillah King. The area outlined in orange was known originally as "Cottage Hill" and later as the Campbell Tract.
The line in yellow shows the northern and western extent of Peter King's land patent. His land patent was slightly larger than John White's and thus extended beyond the area shown on this map.
Figure 3-2. This map shows the four named subdivisions of the original John White land patent - Hartland, Malvern, Cottage Hill, and Presque Isle. The land patent of Peter King is partially shown.
Figure 3-3. The map has been rotated 90 degrees to the usual orientation with north at the top of the image.
The following map of "Presque Isle" was made by Mr. Lancaster in 1984, possibly pursuant to transfer of title the following year to Mr. Chapman.
MAP OF "PRESQUE ISLE'
& ADJOINING PARCELS OF LAND LYING IN
CUCKOO MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT SITUATED ON THE
OLD MOUNTAIN ROAD & THE WATERS OF
DEEP CREEK & THE SOUTH ANNA RIVER
SCALE 1" = 300' 14 JULY 1984
Mapped by: Kenneth M. Lancaster
Figure 3-4. Map of "Presque Isle". "Buck Hill" was probably part of the original White land patent, while "Logans" and "Philpotts" were probably part of Peter King's original land patent.
Mr. Lancaster also provided a condensed history of the chain of title for the property known as Cottage Hill / Campbell Tract.
Figure 3-5. Chain of Title for the tract known as "Cottage Hill' / Campbell Tract. This page shows that on 29 September 1795 Dr. Andrew Todd and his wife Mary conveyed "Cottage Hill" to George Haywood. On October 2, 1802 the Haywoods sold the property to James Michie.
The chain of title indicates that Cottage Hill was inherited from John White by Helina Maria (aka Mary) and Joseph Holt and later sold by them on 30 November 1776 to John Parker.
p. 128-130 30 Nov. 1776 JOSEPH HOLT & MARY his wife of Louisa Co. to JOHN PARKER: £305; in Trinity Par. whereon sd. Holt now liveth bounded by the South Anna on the south; branch of the Pamunkey on the east; by WILLIAM WHITES line on the southeast; by SAMUEL KIMBROWS line on the southwest & North west & North; by THOMAS KINGS on the Northeast; 364 a. Also one other tract on the south and southwest sides of above tract bounded by lines of SAMUEL KIMBROW, WILLIAM HODGES & JOHN WINSTON containing 45 a.
Joseph Holt Mary Holt
Wit: SAMUEL TODD, JNO. TODD, LEWIS THOMAS
Memo. of Livery & Seison 30 Dec 1776. No date of recording.
p. 130-131 Common Wealth of Va. to RICHARD ANDERSON & WILLIAM WHITE, Gent. Justices of Louisa Co. JOSEPH HOLT of Louisa Co. & MARY his wife conveyed to JOHN PARKER a tract of land in Trinity Par. Sd. Mary is so sickly & impotent that she is unable to travell to the Ct. of sd. Co. to make her acknowledgement. Power granted to examine her privily. 14 Dec. 1776.
This day we have examined MARY, wife of sd. JOSEPH HOLT & she did freely relinquish her right of dower. 30 Dec 1776.
[from: Louisa County, Virginia Deed Books E & F 1774-1790. Abstracted and compiled by Rosalie Edith Davis. Manchester, Missouri. 1983. p14-15].
(The deed has been copied as it appears in Mrs. Davis book, however I believe there was an error either in the original or in the transcription and it should read "bounded by the South Anna, south branch of the Pamunkey, on the east; by…").
This deed shows that William White occupied the area known on the more recent maps as Presque Isle, that Helina Maria White and Joseph Holt occupied Cottage Hill, and that Thomas King and Tillah White occupied the area now referred to as Hartland and previously known as Meadowood. Samuel Kimbrow occupied the land known as Malvern.
Almost 20 years later, on 29 September 1795, George Heywood and his wife Deborah Budd Heywood would acquire Cottage Hill shortly after the marriage of their daughter, Martha, to Benjamin King, son of Thomas King, on November 4, 1794 in Culpepper Co. Va. (See item XXIV in the chain of title above).
Chapter 4 Meadowood and Cottage Hill
Thomas King and his family lived in the home known as Meadowood on land surrounded on three sides by the South Anna River. Kenneth Lancaster provided a map (shown below) of "Hartland" as it later came to be called.
Figure 4-1. Map of "Hartland" containing 250 ± acres situated on the waters of the South Anna River.
Figure 4-2. Photograph of the entrance to Meadowood/Hartland taken looking north from Harts Mill Road at the summit, the sharp bend in the road where it heads east down to the South Anna River.
The acreage inherited by Zillah and Thomas King included that shown above plus some on the north side of the South Anna River (as indicated by future deeds). The home site is shown on the map close to Harts Mill Road and (referring to the topographic map) is close to the highest elevation on the property. The sharp bend in Harts Mill Road is at its summit. From there it runs east steeply downhill toward the bridge crossing the South Anna River. Closer to the bridge is the location of the cemetery. The land now has returned to natural growth. On the opposite side of the road is the land known as Cottage Hill.
Figure 4-3. This view is of the collapsed house, Hartland, at the site shown for the house on the map above. Through the trees one can see the chimney still standing and the remains of the collapsed house.
The following text and sketch of Hartland is from the excellent book, “Old Home Places of Louisa County”, by Claudia Anderson Chisholm and Ellen Gray Lillie.
A home of the past, Hartland was situated on the south side of the South Anna River, off Old Mountain Road (Route 640) and Route 699. The original house, called "Meadowood," was of brick construction and burned around 1876. Hartland was built over the same foundation. A two-story frame dwelling, with four rooms and a wide hall on each floor, and four rooms in the basement, it too burned in 1941 and was never replaced.
Thomas King, Sr., and his wife, Tillah, daughter of John and Catherine White, owned this property in the early days of the county. In 1799 Thomas' heirs conveyed 263 acres of his land to Benjamin King, probably one of Thomas' sons. In 1802 Benjamin and his wife, Martha, sold this property to George Washington Truehart. Sometime later, Thomas King, Jr., and his sister, Catherine King, sold Truehart their shares of their father's estate.
In 1801 George W. Truehart married Frances ("Fanny") G. Overton, daughter of Colonel John and Susan Garland Overton of "Woodstock" in Goochland. The Trueharts resided at Hartland for almost thirty years and ran a water grist-mill on the South Anna River. In 1830 James and Henrietta Michie purchased the property, selling it the next year to Horatio Gates Winston of Dunlore. In 1837 the latter's widow, Clarissa Morris Winston, conveyed Hartland and the mill to Abner N. Harris.
Until his death around 1859, Abner Nelson Harris, son of Nelson and Mary Pryor Harris of Buck Hill, made his home at Hartland with his wife, Lucy Bacon Overton Harris, daughter of Colonel John Overton of "Woodstock" and his second wife, Ann Bacon Overton. In 1866 Abner's heirs sold the house to James Malcolm Hart, who the previous year had married Mildred Dabney Farrar, daughter of Colonel Stephen and Susan Duncan Farrar of Rose Hill. It was during Hart's residence that the original brick house, "Meadowood", burned and was replaced by the frame dwelling, Hartland. James and Mildred died in 1889 and 1905, respectively, and both are buried on the property. Their son, Robert Campbell Hart, who married Louise Rebecca Hart, daughter of Charles T. and Bettie Edloe Jackson of Catalpa Hall, inherited the property. Robert died in 1927 and his widow, Louise, and his son, James Malcolm Hart, Jr., own the property today.
[from: Chisholm CA, Lillie EG. Old Home Places of Louisa County. Publisher: Louisa County Historical Society, Louisa, VA. Printing: Green Publishers, Inc. Orange, VA. 22960. 1979. p.77.. Library of Congress Catalogue Number: 79-55459.]
(In the year 2000 I wrote to Mrs. Chisholm asking if she had any additional information about Peter King and Thomas King and his family. She gave my correspondence to Kenneth Lancaster and he responded with the maps and drawings in the previous chapters.)
Figure 4-4. Text describing Hartland history from "Old Home Places."
Figure 4-5. Sketch of Hartland, from "Old Home Places."
Also from "Old Home Places" is the text and photograph of Cottage Hill. Cottage Hill was just down and across Harts Mill Road, Route 647, from Meadowood toward the river. Both the house and the cemetery are close to Harts Mill Road and the river (as shown on the map of Presque Isle and the Campbell Tract in Chapter 3 drawn by Kenneth Lancaster). In 1795 Cottage Hill was sold to George and Deborah Haywood, parents of Martha Haywood, wife of Benjamin King.
This old home, located on Route 647and the waters of the South Anna River, was the home of the Holt family in colonial days. In 1776 Joseph Holt conveyed the house and 309 1/2 acres of land to John Parker, who lived there for eight years before selling the estate to Dr. Andrew Todd. Dr. Todd, who married Mary Todd, daughter of the Reverend John and Margaret Thompson Todd, resided at Cottage Hill during the years when he practiced medicine in the county. In 1795 he sold the property to George Haywood and moved to Kentucky. The Haywoods made their home at Cottage Hill until 1802 and then sold it to James Michie, who conveyed the home and 309 1/2 acres to Francis Campbell in 1806.
Captain Francis Lee Campbell, born in Scotland in 1760, came to Virginia as a young man and was an officer in the Revolutionary War. He moved to Louisa County in the 1780's and on New Year's Day in 1789, he married Ann ("Nancy") Barnett, daughter of James and Ann Barnett of Glen Burnie. Francis and his wife evidently lived near her parents for several years. When Ann died at a young age, Francis married Henrietta Catlett and bought and moved to Cottage Hill, where he died in 1840, and Henrietta died in 1852. Their son, Dr. Joseph D. Campbell, inherited the home and practiced medicine in the county for many years. After his death in 1897, his son, William A. Campbell, resided at the old home.
In the 1930's Cottage Hill left the Campbell family. Unoccupied for many years, it deteriorated rapidly and today only one chimney remains standing. The present owner of the property is Willard G. Fisher.
Cottage Hill was a one-and-one-half-story frame dwelling with a sharp, A-line roof with three dormer windows and large brick chimneys. Evidence of formal gardens can still be seen around the house site. There is a Campbell family cemetery on the property, and DAR markers have been placed on the grave of Captain Francis Lee Campbell.
[from: Chisholm CA, Lillie EG. Old Home Places of Louisa County. Publisher: Louisa County Historical Society, Louisa, VA. Printing: Green Publishers, Inc. Orange, VA. 22960. 1979. p.68. Library of Congress Catalogue Number: 79-55459.]
Figure 4-6. Text describing Cottage Hill, from "Old Home Places."
Figure 4-7. This twentieth century photograph of Cottage Hill shows it in a state of disrepair and deterioration in the 1930's before its final collapse. From: "Old Home Places."
Thomas King lived at Meadowood for the rest of his life. He planted his surrounding lands and raised his family at Meadowood. He died sometime before December 28, 1798, when a deed was filed showing his children transferring most of his property to his youngest son, Benjamin King, now 31 years old and married to Martha Haywood, daughter of his neighbor living at Cottage Hill.