Short Curriculum Vitae
"I have 10 year experiences working with semantic search technologies as software engineer for IBM and capgemini and assistant professor for Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and Stanford University (visiting). I have published seminal work in Semantic Search research and helped to establish an international Semantic Search community through technology benchmarking activities, tutorials and the series of workshops called SemSearch. My work is published in over 40 top-tier journals / conference proceedings, earned prizes and a best paper award and led to successful industry collaboration with companies such as Yahoo! and IBM. Currently, I serve as assistant professor at San Jose State University and director of Graphinder, a semantic search technologies company i co-founded with researchers from the team I previously managed at KIT."
- 2010: PhD on the topic “SemSearchPro – A Process-oriented Approach to Semantic Web Search”, magna cum laude.
- 2006-2010: PhD student and research assistant in Prof. Rudi Studer's group at the AIFB institute of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 2000–2005: Master in Business Information System at the Otto von Guericke University in Magdeburg (Germany), grade: 1.1 (with high distinction, award).
- 2003–2004: Master in Commerce and Business with focus on Management Accounting and Finance at the Macquarie University in Sydney (Australia), grade: distinction.
- 2000–2003: Bachelor program "International Management" at the Otto von Guericke University in Magdeburg (Germany), grade: 1.7 (with distinction).
- 1991–2000: Secondary school and general qualification for university entrance in Gardelegen (Germany), grade: 1.3 (with high distinction).
- 1987–1991: Primary school in Hanoi (Vietnam).
- Since 2013: Assistant professor at San Jose State University, Computer Science department.
- Since 2013: Director of Graphinder, a semantic search technologies company I co-founded with researchers from the Semantic Search group I previously managed at KIT.
- 2011: Visiting assistant professor (6 months period) at the Stanford Center for Biomedical Informatics Research, Stanford University, California, USA.
- 2010-2013: Assistant professor, project leader at manager of Semantic Search Special Interest Group at Institute AIFB of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Germany).
- 2006-2010: PhD student and project associate at the AIFB institute of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 2005–2006: Software engineer and consultant at sd&m (Capgemini), mainly J2EE-based customized software development, Berlin, Germany.
- 2004–2005: Intern and later, project associate at IBM Research and Development (development of voice-based application), Böblingen, Germany.
- 2002–2003: Vice director of SUBMIT, a student organization for IT&Management consulting in Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2002–2003: Founder and managing director of Bluesoft GbR, a company for executing IT projects from SUBMIT, Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2002–2003: Student software developer at APPSS GmbH (Java-based development of EIS and CRM applications) in Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2001–2003: Student tutor for various management and computer science courses at the Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2011: Most Cited Article 2006-2010 Award for “Hermes: Data Web Search on a Pay-As-You-Go Integration Infrastructure” by JWS, a journal with 5th highest impact factor among 116 journals in the same category.
- 2011: Received best Linked Data paper at ESWC for “SIHJoin: Querying Remote and Local Linked Data”.
- 2008: Received the 2nd Prize at the Billion Triple Challenge for Hermes, a solution for data web search.
- 2005: Achieved best grade point average for Master in Business Information System program at the Otto von Guericke University in Magdeburg.
- 2004: Awarded with the Management Accounting Prize at the Macquarie University.
- 2003: Selected for DAAD Scholarship for study exchange at the Macquarie University.
- 2002: Founder of Bluesoft GbR, a company for executing IT projects from SUBMIT, Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2002: Served as vice director of SUBMIT, a student organization for IT & Management consulting in Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2002: Awarded with E-fellows Scholarship for performance (based on grade point average) at the Master of International Management program of the Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany.