2015. Dealing in Desire: Asian Ascendancy, Western Decline and the Hidden Currencies of Global Sex Work, Berkeley: University of California Press.
Human Trafficking Reconsidered: Rethinking the Problem, Envisioning New Solutions, with Rhacel Parreñas, New York: IDEAS and Open Society. *Lead Editor
Forthcoming 2017. Transformations and New Positions in Asia, with Ya-Wen Lei (Harvard University), Houston: positions: east asia cultures critique.
Peer Reviewed Articles
2014. "Flirting with Capital: Negotiating Perceptions of Asian Ascendency and Western Decline in Global Sex Work," Social Problems 61(4): 507-529. [Lead Article]
2014. "Competing Technologies of Embodiment: Pan-Asian Modernity and Third World Dependency in Vietnam's Contemporary Sex Industry," Gender and Society 28(4): 513-536. [Lead Article]
* Winner of the ASA Section on Asia and Asian America Research Paper Award, 2014.
2014. "Vietnam Rising Dragon: Contesting Dominant Western Masculinities in Ho Chi Minh City's Global Sex Industry," International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society, 27(2): 259-271.
* First published online September 2013: DOI 10.1007/s10767-013-9155-6.
2013. "Transnational Gender Vertigo," Contexts 12(2): 22-26. [Feature Article]
* Featured on BBC's Thinking Allowed with Laurie Taylor, October 30, 2013.
* Reprint: AsiaLIFE Magazine, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. September 2013 Issue.
* Featured in The Global Viet, Houston: University of Houston C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2013.
2011. "She's Not a Low-Class Dirty Girl: Sex Work in Ho Chi Minh City," Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 40(4): 367-396. [Lead Article]
* Winner of the ASA Sociology of Sexualities Graduate Student Paper Award, 2011.
* Winner of the Sociologists for Women in Society, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award, 2011.
* Honorable Mention ASA Asia and Asian American Studies Section, 2011.
* Winner of Vietnam Studies Group Best Graduate Student Paper Prize, 2010.
2010. "Economies of Emotion, Familiarity, Fantasy, and Desire: Emotional Labor in Ho Chi Minh City’s Sex Industry,” Sexualities 13(2): 255-272.
* Reprint: 2010. Intimate Labors, edited by Eileen Boris and Rhacel Parrenas. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press
* Winner of the Best Graduate Student Paper, Southeast Asian Program, Cornell University, 2008.
2013. "Refashioning Global Bodies: Cosmopolitan Femininities in Nigerian Beauty Pageants and the Vietnamese Sex Industry," co-authored paper with Oluwakemi Balogun in, Global Beauty, Local Bodies, edited by Afshan Jafar and Erynn Casanova, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
2013. "Performing Third World Poverty: Racialized Femininites in Sex Work," The Kaleidoscope of Gender: Prisms, Patterns, and Possibilities Fourth Edition, edited by Joan Spade and Catherine Valentine, Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
2013. “Vietnamese Immigration and Adaptation in the United States since 1975,”
byElliot Barkan, Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO.
For those interested in reading some work in Vietnamese please see:
* Published by DCVOnline: Em Khong Phai La Hang Gai Nho Nhap Thap Hen
* Published in by the BBC in 2010: Tien, Sex, Va Tinh Yeu O TP HCM
* Published by Talawas: Tinh Cam Trong Linh Vuc Cong Nghe Tinh Duc O TP HCM