Peer Reviewed Articles
2014. "Competing Technologies of Embodiment: Pan-Asian Modernity and Third World Dependency in Vietnam's Contemporary Sex Industry," Gender and Society. DOI 10.1177/0891243214523122
2013. "Vietnam Rising Dragon: Contesting Dominant Western Masculinities in Ho Chi Minh City's Global Sex Industry," International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society, DOI 10.1007/s10767-013-9155-6.
2013. "Transnational Gender Vertigo," Contexts 12(2): 22-26. [Feature Article]
* Featured on BBC's Thinking Allowed with Laurie Taylor, October 30, 2013.
* Reprint: AsiaLIFE Magazine, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. September 2013 Issue.
* Featured in The Global Viet, Houston: University of Houston C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2013.
2011. "She's Not a Low-Class Dirty Girl: Sex Work in Ho Chi Minh City," Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 40(4): 367-396. [Lead Article]
* Winner of the ASA Sociology of Sexualities Graduate Student Paper Award, 2011.
* Winner of the Sociologists for Women in Society, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award, 2011.
* Honorable Mention ASA Asia and Asian American Studies Section, 2011.
* Winner of Vietnam Studies Group Best Graduate Student Paper Prize, 2010.
2010. "Economies of Emotion, Familiarity, Fantasy, and Desire: Emotional Labor in Ho Chi Minh City’s Sex Industry,” Sexualities 13(2): 255-272.
* Reprint: 2010. Intimate Labors, edited by Eileen Boris and Rhacel Parrenas. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press
* Winner of the Best Graduate Student Paper, Southeast Asian Program, Cornell University, 2008.
Chasing the Tiger: Sex Work and Finance Capital in Vietnam's New Global Economy
Forthcoming with the University of California Press
(Forthcoming, Spring 2014). Human Trafficking Reconsidered: Rethinking the Problem, Envisioning New Solutions, with Rhacel Parreñas, New York: IDEAS and Open Society. *Lead Editor
2013. "Refashioning Global Bodies: Cosmopolitan Femininities in Nigerian Beauty Pageants and the Vietnamese Sex Industry," co-authored paper with Oluwakemi Balogun in, Global Beauty, Local Bodies, edited by Afshan Jafar and Erynn Casanova, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
2013. "Performing Third World Poverty: Racialized Femininites in Sex Work," The Kaleidoscope of Gender: Prisms, Patterns, and Possibilities Fourth Edition, edited by Joan Spade and Catherine Valentine, Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
2013. “Vietnamese Immigration and Adaptation in the United States since 1975,”
byElliot Barkan, Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO.
Forth 2013. Touching Encounters: Sex, Work, and Male-For-Male Internet Escorting, by Kevin Walby. 2012. American Journal of Sociology 119(2).
2013. Markets and Bodies: Women, Service Work, and the Making of Inequality in China, by Eileen Otis. International Journal of Comparative Sociology 54(1): 80-82.
2012. The Politics of Trafficking: The First International Movement to Combat
Exploitation of Women, by
Stephanie A. Limoncelli. August, Gender and Society 26(4): 669-671.
2012. Illicit Flirtations: Labor, Migration, and Sex Trafficking in Tokyo, by Rhacel Parrenas. February, Rights Works.
2011. Immigration and Women: Understanding the American Experience, by Susan C. Pearce,
Elizabeth J. Clifford, and Reena Tandon. November, Choice.
Forthcoming 2013. "Sex Work," edited by Vicki Smith and Golson Geoffrey," Sociology of Work,Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
For those interested in reading some work in Vietnamese please see:
* Published by DCVOnline: Em Khong Phai La Hang Gai Nho Nhap Thap Hen
* Published in by the BBC in 2010: Tien, Sex, Va Tinh Yeu O TP HCM
* Published by Talawas: Tinh Cam Trong Linh Vuc Cong Nghe Tinh Duc O TP HCM