KHS has received many messages, wishing us & the town well for the anniversary of the townsite proclamation on February 10th 1961. Thank you to all those who have sent messages of support and congratulations to us.
50th Celebrations - Messages of Congratulationsposted 9 Feb 2011, 19:27 by Kununurra Historical Society Inc. Archive and Museum [ updated 9 Feb 2011, 19:31 ]
Kununurra Historical Society (KHS)
Archive, Gallery Library, Museum & Research
Kununurra Museum - Coolibah Drive & Online
Next KHS Meeting
1st Tuesday of the Month at 7pmAll Welcome
1945 (Dry Season)
70 Years ago at Carlton Reach
(Ord River Experimental Station)
the dry season of 1945 Kim Durack continued work on the
"Ord River Experimental Station," which was established late in 1941 at
Carlton Reach using the waters of the Ord for irrigation. The following
year the station would cease to operate on the Carlton Reach Site and would be moved to the Kimberley Research Station site in 1946.
information is available about the 36 HP Petters "Atomic" diesel pump
engine, used to raise the water for these first major experimental
attempts at irrigation, at the twenty acre farm site. available from the Carlton Reach Pump Engine (On this site)
In April 2013 the 36 HP "Petters Atomic Diesel Engine" was donated to the Kununurra Historical Society by the Department of Agriculture and Food WA - Frank Wise Institute of Tropical Agriculture (formerly the Kimberley Research Station, where the engine was also in use until the 1950s), KHS now has the original pump engine by the entrance gate of the Kununurra Museum.
In 2016 it will be 75 years since the Petters engine was first installed at Carlton Reach and it will be 70 years since the initial establishment of the Kimberley Research Station in 1946.
March 20th 1942
On March 20th 2017 it will be...
Since the forced landing of Wirraway A20-62, on coastal saltmarsh, just inside the WA/NT border, by Pilots Lew Dwyer and Warwick Carmody. See the permanent "Wirraway - Challenge" display at the KHS Museum.
Events in 2016
Wyndham and Hall's Creek (aka "Kimberley") were established.
130 Years Ago
In May and June 2016 It will be..
Since the WA and SA Government Astronomers came to the Kimberley in
to determine the position of the WA/NT Border on the ground by using the new technology (in 1921), of radio time signals. This exepedition in 1921 would locate the border position and a WA Survey crew would come back in 1927 to build the Kimberley Obelisk, which still determines the border today.
Read More about the 1921 WA/NT Border Determinations
Carlton Reach Waterhole
"Thethebeleng" or "Carlton Reach"
:-( now sadly, referred to as Lake Kununurra)
Was the largest permanent waterhole in the Kimberley Region, held back by a quartzite rock bar called "Tharram," the "Rocky Falls" or "Jasper Bar" or "Bandicoot Bar," The Carlton Reach waterhole stretched from Bandicoot Bar all the way to the south end of the "Carlton Ridge" or the head of the "Sleeping Buddha, as it is known today."
"Kim's Place" or "Ord River Experimental Station" or "Ord River Experimental Farm" or "The Cabbage Patch" - No matter what it has been referred to in writing, this was the WA Government's precursor to the joint Federal (CSIRO) - State (WA Ag. Dept.) Kimberley Research Station (KRS).
The 1941 experimental station was set up at Carlton Reach, by Kimberley Michael Durack, for the Department of Agriculture WA, with assistance from the Public Works Department, along with his brother William A. (Bill) Durack, and other helpers along the way.
It will be 75 Years Ago
Read More on the Carlton Reach Pump Engine Research Page