Before you go canoeing, there are some important things you should know to keep yourself safe. Canoeing is a lot of fun, but if you don't know the dangers, you could get into trouble on the water. Always canoe with your parents or another adult.
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PFD (LIFE JACKET) - you never know when you might fall out or tip over unexpectedly.
- HAVE SOMEONE HOLD THE CANOE STEADY - you don"t want to tip the canoe before you even get out on the water!
- CROUCH LOW - keep your knees bent.
- GRAB THE SIDES OF THE CANOE FOR BALANCE as you walk to your seat.
- ALWAYS WALK ALONG THE CENTER - keeping your feet on the centerline will help keep the canoe from rocking.
- STAY LOW - do not stand up or walk in your canoe when you are away from shore.
AVOID SUDDEN OR JERKY MOVEMENTS – rocking from side to side could cause the
canoe to tip over
ALWAYS SIT ON THE SEATS OR IN THE CENTER OF THE CANOE - Sitting
on the side of a canoe will cause it to tip over
IF YOUR CANOE DOES TIP OVER:
THINGS TO BRING ALONG:
- STAY WITH YOUR CANOE
- PADDLE OR PUSH YOUR CANOE TO SHORE – with the help of the other person in
your canoe, you can get out in shallow water
- SUN PROTECTION – hats, sunscreen, long sleeves and pants
- FIRST AID KIT
- PLENTY OF FOOD AND WATER
- PFDs (LIFE VESTS)
- MAP – be sure you know where you are so you do not get lost!
TIE ALL YOUR STUFF TO THE CANOE – put your food, gear, and other stuff into a waterproof
bag to keep it dry and tie it to one of the center beams in the canoe so that
you don’t lose everything if your canoe tips over
PLEASE DON'T LITTER – carry out everything you bring in – the animals don’t like a