- World of Spectrum's In Memoriam page for Joffa
- Wos: Rest in Peace, Jonathan Smith (was: Frobush Absence)
- Wos: A message From Jonathan Smith's sister
- Doug Burns' blog which has some posts on remembering Joffa
- Paul Hughes' blog entry
- Brian Beuken's blog entry
- Announcement thread in Retro Gamer forums
- Matty on Games blog post
- A nice tribute by Graeme Mason
- Feature article about the Special FX 1-bit music engine and Joffa's part in it at 1-Bit Music News
Anyway, this page is a tribute of sorts to his legacy. Although there are some who might disagree, this is going to be a celebration of what he accomplished and not a criticism of his personal issues. There'll be no links to bilious rants on The Ocean Experience forums here - He deserves much better than that!
- Interview with ZX Specticle (WoS archived copy)
- Interview with The Retro Brothers for their Spectrum Games blog
- Interview at the ZX Golden Years website
- "Everyone has their agender. Mine was to smile - when I really wanted to run away."
- "Paul Owen's mistake(s) was/is that he thinks Cobra was actually written, where as, in reality, it just appeared out of nowhere. I know that the scroll in Hysteria confused him - he couldn't understand how I could get so much detail in there by using the 'push/stack' display technique. Hysteria doesn't use the 'push/stack' display technique. Simple when you think about it. "
- "One day we'll all get together again. Bring a gun."
From the World of Spectrum forums
- "I'm sorry. Your score is the best. It really is. I've never heard of such a high score - E V E R. If you PM me your details I'll make sure you get a medal. Or something."
- "Yeah, I think games HAVE evolved. It's a shame that 'everything', development wise, has gone all big budget and all Hollywood. Swings and round-a-bouts I guess. There's room for simple stuff too. And I get the feeling that the tide is turning. I do hope so! I'm f*cked otherwise! Lol! It's wonderful that the retro scene is really taking off. And I'm proud to be a part of it."
- "People seem quite content to watch stuff via YouTube et al. Which is like watching stuff with sieves nailed over your eyes."
- "Squirting 'posh' washing-up liquid (you can buy cheaper stuff that just 'oouses' out of the container and you don't need to add any water or any pee stored from a bottle) onto the 'bits' and then just jumping up and down (any other way to do do the jumping stuff then ring this number - 0891-709-1234 and ask for 'Barry') onto the machine should just not make things better and you should listen to me!"
- "I have a couple of things that need finishing off, but then I think I'll call it a day with this programming lark. Too many other, more exciting things to do, and if I don't do them soon they'll never get done."
- "I'll always be an old-school programmer - I just need to get other things out of the way before I get too old."
"I can't justify his actions! That's not for me to comment upon (he says, commenting upon his actions)!"
- Old website on btinernet at archive.org
- New website (with gut-wrenching "New Site Soon" message) - Archived content at archive.org
- YouTube profile (warning: bizarre material)
- Joffa Smifff's Flickr photostream! (more unusual imagery)
- Wikipedia entry - Please help to complete it!
List of all his games with links highlighting any notable features. I also plan to document some of the code he wrote, i.e. the scroll routine in Cobra, and graphics that he designed. There are others who are trying to catalogue some of his artwork and other works and in time I hope to link these in here.
|Year||Title||Contribution||ZX Spectrum||Atari ST||Game Boy||SNES||Sega Megadrive||Mobile||GBA||Gizmondo|
|1984||Pud Pud in Weird World
(Music by Christine Smith)
|Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1984||Kong Strikes Back!||GFX||x|
|1985||Hyper Sports||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1985||Daley Thompson's Supertest||Shared Code & GFX||x|
|1986||Mikie||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1986||Green Beret||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1986||Cobra||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1986||Ping Pong||GFX and Sound assist
|1986||Terra Cresta||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1987||Hysteria||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1988||Firefly||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1988||Hyper Active||Code, GFX, SFX||x|
|1989||Batman: The Caped Crusader||Code||x|
|1992||Spider-Man and the X-Men:
|2001||Apprentice AKA 'Fluffy'||x|
|2003||Looney Tunes Back In Action||x|
|2004||All Star Baseball 2004||x|
|2005||Momma, Can I Mow The Lawn?||x|
|2006 ?||Saucer (unfinished)||x|
|2007 ?||Burger (128k - unfinished)||x|
Miscellaneous unsorted links:
First stage in Retaliot, an MSX shoot-em-up done for a coding compo in 2009 - Guest graphics by Joffa