Pureplay.com CTO San Francisco, CA, US; May 2005 - September 2008
119 Gates Street
San Francisco CA, 94110
- Scalable and versatile technology centric executive that enjoys challenges and likes to win.
- Still rolls-up his sleeves at the ground level of development.
- Familiar with Java stacks, MS development environment and LAMP.
- Diverse background working within a wide range of organizational cultures and styles.
- Major accomplishments include starting and selling my own company, bringing a company public, spinning off a subsidiary and operating a business internationally.
- Capable of understanding complex abstract concepts and turning them into products and services.
- Demonstrated ability to sell software products to large fortune 500 companies.
- Good speaker able to articulate product ideas in a way that is easily understood by a wide audience.
- Great translator and mediator between technical staff and senior executives.
- Can work with PHD level talent and hands-on problem solvers.
- Excels at mobilizing and organizing groups and departments quickly.
- Well networked in Bay Area, Boston Area and Europe.
- Launched First Online Casino For US Based Casino(MGM).
- Launched First Casual Gambling Site For US Based Casino(Harrahs).
- Launched First Subscription Based Poker Site In US(Pureplay.com).
- Launched Second Online Mortgage Site in the US(iOwn.com aka. Homeshark.com)
- Will do what it takes to get the job done.
I enjoy taking ideas and turning them into products and services that lead to the creation of successful organizations and companies. I like to work collaboratively with intelligent and highly motivated individuals that understand the importance of focusing on common goals and objectives.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________Work ExperienceGameinlane Founder
San Francisco, CA, US; October 08 - Present
Start Up Adviser -Advising early stage companies on technical infrastructure, development
processes, fund raising and organizational structure.
Technical Adviser - Advising companies of all sizes providing technical (IT & Software) platform selection recommendations, development department management and assisting in implementing recommended solutions.
Project Manager Software Development And IT Infrastructure - Assisting companies with IT hosting and cloud platform migrations, technical specification development, managing developing teams and implementation of Agile development concepts.
Staffing -Technical staffing and organization building using Agile/Scrum as blue print for development process. Screening and interviewing of candidates and hiring final candidates.
Conference Speaker and Organizer - Identifying emerging trends in the online games arena and assisting in the organization, topics and execution of conferences.
- ReplayPoker.com - Adviser -
Scaling platform and increasing traffic to virtual currency based poker site.
- Virtual Gaming Worlds - Adviser - (Pre-launch) Integrating gambling games into virtual world community.
- Everest Poker/CIDC -
Acting CTO - Review platform, projects, software engineer practices and product road map.
- AllWingo.com - Adviser -Working with multi player gamer
platform AllWINGO developing product road map.
- VelvetDeck.com - Adviser - Product Development, Strategic Planning and Development Platform.
- RevolutionTrades.com- Adviser - Crowd Sourcing Startup .
- Beyond Commerce - Acting CTO - Building and reorganizing the development and IT organizations, establishing Agile development processes, PCI compliance audit standards, scaling the platform, moving to a cloud computing environment, etc. PHP/MYSQL
- GoldBet.com - Game Developer/Adviser - Online Bookmaker/Casino expansion into social gaming.
- TheAmericasCard.com - Project Manager/Software Development/IT Infrastructure - Pre-paid debit card PCI compliance audit and recommended steps to achieve PCI compliance.Created PCI compliant hosting solution, application architecture and software development. PHP/MYSQL
- TaprootFoundation.org - Project Manager/Software Development/IT Infrastructure - Evaluation of Development/ IT Platform and Development organization. Managed a team of software, IT and network engineers to move site from hosted environment to Rackspace cloud solution. Moved local MS Exchange Server service to ThoughtBus cloud solution. Integrated Linkedin social network to application. PHP/MYSQL
- PublicMarketSpace.com - Adviser - Integration of game mechanics into e-commerce application.
- Weeworld.com - Project Manager - Conducted competitive market study of in-game advertizing platform platform providers. Developed technical specification for rich media and gamified n-game ad serving serving ads for Facebook and web based games.
- SanFranciscoMethod.com - Consultant - Developed franchise model fitness web site. Hosted in Rackspace cloud. Using Droopal content management system PHP/MYSQL.
- Organize ICE Social Game Monetization Session - Select and recommend speakers for conference, chair discussions and sessions recommend future changes to program.
- Ameristar - Consultant - Evaluation of online casino and poker platforms. Evaluation of social casino and social gaming platforms.
- Casual Connect - Social casino presentations and panel discussions Amsterdam and San Francisco.
- Australian Gaming And Racing Conference - Social casino panel chair and speaker.
Pureplay is a consumer facing internet gaming business based in the US. It is a highly trafficked gaming site ranked in the top 20 game sites for concurrent usage.
Harrahs Interactive UK (Division of Harrahs Entertainment)
- Provided international gaming experience and expertise. Advised on business relationships with US casino operators and international online game operators.
- Primarily responsible for setting up the technical infrastructure to support a free play and subscription gaming experience.
- Setup and established two remote hosting sites composed of 75 servers and inter communication between server farms. One site located in the US and one in Canada.
- Setup the office facility, email system and office computer environment.
- Built the development organization composed of Software Engineers, DBA's, Project Managers, Architects and IT personnel.
- Oversaw the re-architecture of the platform using a Java Framework(Hibernate and Tapestry).
- Managed vendor relationships with game platform providers and payment processing software providers.
- Setup database (Oracle, MySQL and Postgres) and application environment to support marketing reporting data warehouse.
- Managed the conversion of the original code base from Cold Fusion to Java.
COO/Managing Director London, UK:March 2003 - April 2005
Harrahs Interactive was the international gaming division of Harrahs Entertainment US. The operation was created to launch an international online gaming operation.
- Worked with US game developers to develop game platform web site and payment processing transaction system..
- Worked with US, UK and Alderney gaming regulators to obtain licenses and to assure that Harrahs was compliant with all US and international regulations.
- Secured office space and built IT infrastructure.
- Established an outsourced support center in Scotland.
- Secured an accounting and bookkeeping system.
- Setup two hosting centers one in London and Alderney.
- Consulted on the development of an age, identity and location detection system designed to control consumer access to the game system.
- Developed and executed the marketing plan.
- Launched the site.
- Oversaw day to day operations.
VP of Engineering San Francisco, CA, US; May 2001 - Jan 2003
Wagerworks is an online supplier of casino games. Its first focus and customer was MGM/Mirage. Company sold to IGT.
- Responsible for stabilizing the MGM/Mirage free play site.
- Built the game development organization. Included 20 engineers; java engineers, graphic designers, web designers and web developers.
- Built a Java based game platform (Weblogic).
- Developed 12 flash based casino games.
- Integrated financial transaction engine developed in the UK.
- Launched online casinos on the Isle of Man for MGM. B Sky B and Hard Rock Casino.
CTO San Francisco, CA US; Sept 1997 - January 2001
iOwn was one of the first online mortgage sites. The company was sold to CitiMortgage a division of Citibank.
- Built the software engineering, QA and IT organizations composed of 30 engineers.
- Built out a mortgage operation center in Martinez including phone system, VOIP communication with San Francisco, Ethernet setup, high bandwidth internet and office computer setup.
- Web site built and supported 200,000 hits per day.
- Full mortgage processing workflow from initial application through application processing to acceptance and loan issue.
- Oversaw the purchase of a mortgage broker software company and integrated it into iOwn software platform.
- Launched mobile WAP application for mortgage brokers in the field.
- Spun off separate company (Wommera) to launch internally developed e-mail campaign system. Orchestrated sale of company to OnDemand, Inc.
VP of Engineering Santa Clara, CA, US; March 1995 - July 1997
Company pioneered infrared data transfer between PC's and synchronization of Palm Pilot with PC's. Company went public in December 1996.
- Built development staff of 20 software engineers
- Worked with Japanese, Taiwanese and American laptop hardware vendors integrating synchronization software into laptop pre-installs.
- Oversaw the acquisition of Intellisync to obtain Palm Pilot synchonization software.
- Left company after IPO to become involved with Web 1.0 development.
- Sold To Nokia
President Merrimack, NH ; August 1987 - March 1995
Company leveraged AI research project to develop diagnostic software system for servicing complex equipment.
Sold to Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems(Nexiq Technologies) in 1994.
- Developed a diagnostic expert system based on first principals AI research.
- Secured funding from corporate partners HBO and Company, MPSI and Synetics.
- Built team of 10 software engineers to develop CAD editor and multi-disciplinary reasoning expert systems.
- Developed diagnostics for F16, Freightliner trucks, GM and Ford electronic control systems, J&J Blood Analysis machines, GE CAT scanners and super computers.
Additional Professional Information
- Bachelor of Arts University of Colorado (Boulder)
- Graduate School Colorado State University (not completed)
- MIT AI Lab Technology Transfer Project (Sponsored by Wang Laboratories)
- Babson College Working Managers MBA Program (Sponsored by Wang Laboratories)
- UC Santa Cruz Extension Web Development
- UC Berkeley Extension Bioinformatics For Technical Professionals
- Preparing For Legalized Gambling: The Nuts And Bolts Of Taking It Online, Casino Journal, October, 2010
- Scaling Up Your Systems; Beyond Computing. Oct 1999. Vol, 8, Number 8
- Should The Game Development Process Adopt New Software Engineering Development Processes, Game Developer, May, 2003
- Business and Production for Games, Chapter 17 Game Unified Process (GUP), Course Technology Cengage Learning, 2009
- "Assembled in print for the first time, and comprised of the best game business and production articles that have appeared on GameDev.net over the past decade"
- Global Gaming Summit & Expo May 2010 Montreal, Canada
- iGaming Asia Conference February 2010 Macau, China
- ICE London Gaming Conference January 2011 London, UK
- GIGSE iGaming Conference May 2011 San Francisco, CA, USA
- EiG Gaming Conference September 2011 Milan, Italy
- Game Development Chair And Mediator
- APLA Asia Pacific Lottery Association October 2011, Panang, Malaysia
- Social Network And Social Gaming
- Global Volunteers -- Building schools in Pram Pram, Ghana
- Habitat For Humanity - Building homes in Hunters Point section of San Francisco
- Fitness Instructor, Certified Spinning and TRX Coach, UCSF Fitness and Recreation, World Gym and Cardio-Tone
- Imja Peak (Island Peak) Nepal 6110m (20,045 feet)
- Mount Rainier, US, two ascents 14,000 feet
- Mount Rainier, US, Winter Mountaineering Training
- Pico De Orizaba, Mexico 18,000 feet
- Ishinca Valley, Cordillera Blanca, Peru
- Tocallaraju 18,000 feet
- Urus 17,000 feet
- Ishinca 17,000 feet
- Mt. Whitney, CA 14,000 two ascents
- Mount Blanc, France 15,000
- Wind Rivers Range, Wyomng 13,000 feet
- San Juan Range, Colorado, 13,000 feet
- Glacier National Park, Montana
- Brooks Range, Alaska
- Valhalla Provincial Park, BC
- EMS Wintering Mountaineering Training White Mountains, NH
- EMS Back Country First Aid Course, North Conway, NH
- Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, 19,000
- Mt Shasta, CA, 14,000
- Mauna Loa, Hawaii, 13,500 feet
- Skiing and Boarding
- Favorite Area Zermatt, Switzerland
- Panasonic Digital Leica Lens
- Leica Range Finder
- Olympus 35 Millimeter
- Guitar Player
- Electric, Gibson Les Paul Custom
- Epiphone 12 string
- Guild D40 6 string (vintage 30 years old)
- Dobro Steel Guitar (vintage 40 years old)