Mission: Most school facilities departments have an obvious mission: To transparently maintain a safe, clean, and functional environment for students, staff, and community. But we don't stop there...
Vision: At Kent ISD we have a greater vision. It is reflected in our slogan "We Lead Learning". As a facilities department we strive to act on that organizational ideal.
We take pride in providing leadership to other school facilities departments in Kent County and West Michigan. Our active participation in the Michigan School Business Officials (MSBO) and its local chapter The South West Michigan Facilities and Operations Directors (SWMFOD) are examples of this. We find ourselves networking with and assisting many of the districts that serve Kent County's 140,000+ students.
That explains the reason for this site. We hope it becomes a tool that allows us to serve all of Kent County and West Michigan better.
Goals: With that being said, our department has some specific goals which this site will help with:
- Lead the way in harnessing current technologies to manage workflow using School Dude, and in training people how to use the system both in person and with online tutorials.
- Provide avenues for feedback (Where's my Fix-it Dude?) and anonymous constructive criticism (Comment Box).
- Be open with our staff and the public about our current projects, current bids, and energy savings initiatives.
- Celebrate by sharing our scoreboards with everyone on work completed for month, and year.
- Assist and train the staff on legal and safe pest control.
- Help facilitate and simplify the Capital Outlay process.
- Provide current MSDS data for all concerned parties.
- Provide current building and site maps for contractors, staff, and visitors.
There are plenty of other goals, but this should give you an idea of the scope of our work. Please explore the site and let us know what you think!