If you would like access to the calendar on the right, email email@example.com
Battle of the Books Timeline
Battle of the Books is an extracurricular academic reading activity for fourth and fifth grade students who enjoy reading challenges and competition. Its purpose is to foster the enjoyment of reading high quality books and to come together in friendly competition answering questions about the books with other students while practicing good “readermanship.”
· Distribute the BOB booklist to librarians and coaches for summer reading. Books are available at Kenosha Public Library and Barnes & Noble.
· Introduce and promote Battle of the Books during the elementary school Open House.
September - October
· Battle of the Books begins!
· Release Battle of the Books Tournament information and booklist to interested students.
· Obtain principal’s approval.
· Determine coaches (teachers, librarians, staff, parents, college and high school students).
· Set team meeting dates and times.
· Arrange an initial introduction meeting for interested students.
· Send home information, expectations, booklist, and permission slip.
· Submit Battle of the Books registration on the website and send the $20.00 fee (cash or check) to Christine O'Regan, ESC/IMC 3600 52nd Street Kenosha, WI, 53144 or via KUSD in-district mail. Make checks out to KUSD Battle of the Books.
November – March
· Introduce Battle of the Books Trailblazer Poster and Video Contests.
· Begin Trailblazer Poster and Video Contests
· Hold practice sessions.
· Work with team (coaches and students) to write questions for Tournament Battles (Questions should focus on story elements (setting, characters, problem, events, and solutions). See format and instructions on the question submission form. Submit questions using the online form. Questions are due on January 20, 2017.
· Develop strategies for Tournament Battles. See Coaches’ Page on the website for strategies.
· Read and practice!
· Conduct mock battles, review rules and scoring.
· Read and practice!
· Arrange for transportation to Battle of the Books Tournament.
· Send home permission slips for the Battle of the Books Tournament.
· Read and practice
· Battle of the Books Questions due. See format and instructions on Battle of the Books Website.
· Submit Team Membership list online (Up to 10 members - six key players and four alternate players).
· Submit contest posters and/or video to Christine O’Regan in the Library Media Office at the Educational Support Center, 3600 52nd Street, Kenosha, WI. 53142
March Madness Begins!
March – April
· Create booklist for the next year's Battle of the Books Tournament.
May – June
· Survey Coaches, Team Members, and Parents.
· Announce and release of the next year's Battle of the Books booklist to schools, coaches, and students for summer reading.