KC BJCP Exams
Thank you for your interest in taking a BJCP Beer Judge Certification Exam in Kansas City!
Exams are typically held in June of each year. A Beer Judging exam is held every year with a Mead Judging Exam held in even years. Please check the BJCP calendar for the most recent scheduled exams.
To reserve an exam spot, please contact me here: email@example.com
Amanda BurkemperBJCP Grand Master Judge, BJCP Mead JudgeBJCP Assistant Midwest RepKansas City Bier Meisters
Credit to Debbie Cerda for cover photo - NHC 2019 "Would I Lie to You" Panel. From left to right: Jeff Gladish, Denny Conn, Amanda Burkemper, Martin Brungard. All other photos by Amanda Burkemper.
BJCP Exam Process Overview
About the BJCP
The Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) certifies and ranks beer judges through an examination and monitoring process, sanctions competitions, and provides educational resources for current and future judges.
The goals of the BJCP are to:
- Encourage knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of the world's diverse beer, mead, and cider styles
- Promote, recognize, and advance beer, mead, and cider tasting, evaluation, and communication skills; and
- Develop standardized tools, methods, and processes for the structured evaluation, ranking and feedback of beer, mead, and cider.
To become a ranked BJCP beer judge, one must pass at least two exams:
- The online entrance exam (a pass/fail exam of 200 questions in 60 minutes)
- The Beer Judging exam (Judging 6 beers in 90 minutes)
Judges can achieve the ranks of Recognized and Certified Beer Judge by passing the online exam and the beer judging exam. To advance to the National rank or higher, judges must also take the BJCP Written Proficiency Exam (20 TF and 5 written essay questions in 90 minutes). The BJCP also currently offers a Mead Exam to grant a Mead Judge endorsement to existing judges or non-BJCP members only interested in Mead judging.