Crew 73 KB3BSA‎ > ‎

Get Your License

Working with the Laurel VEC, Allegheny Highlands Repeater Association and KB3BSA, Crew 73 is now helping with amateur radio exam testing.

Any questions about testing or scheduling contact Russ Bush, N3YD or 814-564-9202
All exam sessions conducted by Laurel VEC sponsored VE Teams are FREE.  Please use this link for a list of our test dates and locations.

Before you can enjoy the amateur radio hobby you must be licensed, understand the rules and safety practices to legally operate here in the US.  Licenses for US operators are divided into three classes, Technician, General and Amateur Extra and are issued for a term of 10 years.

Things you will need to know and bring to your exam.

1.  A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport). When no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented:
a.  Non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them).
b.  Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal).
c.  Social security card.
d.  Library card.
e.  Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.

2.  Students may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.

3.  Provide your FRN (FCC Registration Number).
You will need to obtain an FRN from the FCC in advance. Those who already have a license issued by the FCC you should have an FRN if not
you can obtain an FRN by registering your SSN with the FCC at its website:

The instructions are easy to follow.  Just click on the “Register” button and follow the instructions.

Search FRN (Doesn't have a license issued yet, but created an FRN before)

4.  If upgrading your current license.
a.  Bring a
copy of your current license for our records.  Original or reference copy.
b.  Original and a copy for our records any unexpired Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE) indicating      which credit(s) you’ve earned.

All materials need for the exam will be provided by the test team. (pencils, pens, calculator, scratch paper)

cell phones must be silenced or turned off during the exam session. The phones’ calculator function may not be used.