1) download my 'bag of pointers' from here CLICK , double-click it to un-zip it, put the folder in your PICTURES Folder, open the 'pointer' folder ..
2) launch iMovie09 with your Project, you like to add a pointer to, in Prefs, switch-ON the Advanced-Tools. IMPORTANT : to "Crop" - NOT Fit in Frame or Ken Burns. (thanks, again ;) , John, for that!)in Project Properties, in the Timing tab, set "Initial Photo Placement"
3) select a graphic from the Pointer-Folder, ll = lower left, lr = lower right, ul = upper left, ur = upper right, .. I made the basic colors, plus a black-outlined-one ..
4) drag pointer.png ONTO clip in Project - cursor changes into a green + , select 'pic-in-pic
5) to define length-of-display, drag the ends of the yellow box. to define position, drag graphic in the preview window, to change size drag white 'corners of graphic in preview window.
done! REALLY simple!
PS: If you notice, that your arrow is 'moving' - iM is set to add the Ken Burns-Effect to any still. so, select the over-layered clip in your project, select the crop-tool and set to fit. Or crop. That stops the pointer from moving.
Your Mac came with all pre-installed, to create your own pointers. We 'abuse' the PREVIEW.app, which isn't meant as a 'painter' but offers nice pointers …-
Launch the PREVIEW.app, open any picture ... I recommend to open one with 16:9-aspect-ratio, in this example a screen-grab of a video.
select all (Apple-A) and hit backspace - an empty preview-picture! Now on top of the window, you'll notice a tool-bar, click on 'annotations' ...
On the bottom-left, you'll notice a small selection of tools: pointer, circle, box, text and color, thickness, font.
From here, it is Your imagination, what kind of pointer you like, how many, what color, even your own text-design. ok, less options, than an elaborated 'paint'.app would offer, but at least ...
Save as PNG (or tiff), only these 'formats' allow the grey part to be transparent. saving as a jpg for example, makes it plain white ...
Have fun with your pointers! :D
• one png per clip - if you need two pointers in same scenery, make/paint a png containing two ..
• no additional 'effects' in such a scene, this includes dissolves ..
• do NOT touch the 'fit to screen/Ken Burns' buttons in the preview window! that instantly destroys the transparency! you have to erase the pointer-clip in your project and add the pointer from the folder again!
This is a 'trick', no Apple-intended feature of iMovie09/11!
It can work, it can not …
Read the Note above about 'stuck'.
Me no engineer, advice best to my knowledge.
Me no designer, if you need special graphics, paint your own …
// back to main page CLICK //