Karen B. Marais, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering
karen.marais "at" alum.mit.edu
Senior Member AIAA
Member IEEE, INCOSE
My research is multi-disciplinary in nature, spanning traditional engineering disciplines such as reliability, maintainability, and risk analysis, and extending to engineering economics (e.g., environmental impact of aviation and policy choices and implications) and organizational behaviour (in particular in regard to system safety). The fundamental aim of my research is to guide better engineering decisions in system design and operation. To that end I perform research in three general areas:
- System Safety and Risk Analysis
- Value-Centric System Design and Operation
- Civil Aviation Policy and Environmental Impacts
- Saleh Joseph H., Marais Karen B., Bakolas, E., Cowlagi, R.V., “Highlights from the literature on system safety and accident causation: Review of major ideas, recent contributions, and challenges”, In press, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, July 2010.
- Hoepfer, Vitus M., Saleh, Joseph H., and Marais, Karen, “On the value of redundancy subject to common-cause failures: Toward the resolution of an on-going debate,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Volume 94, Issue 12, December 2009, Pages 1904-1916.
- Leveson, Nancy, Dulac, Nicolas, Marais, Karen, and Carroll, John, Moving Beyond Normal Accidents and High Reliability Organizations: A Systems Approach to Safety in Complex Systems, Organization Studies, 30(2&3):91-13, March 2009.
- Marais, Karen, Saleh, Joseph H., “Beyond its cost, the value of maintenance: An analytical framework for capturing its Net Present Value”, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 94(2):644-657, February 2009.
- Marais, Karen and Saleh, Joseph H., Conceptualizing and communicating organizational risk dynamics in the Thoroughness-Efficiency space, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 93(11):1710-1719, November 2008.
- click here for a full list...
- Quality Assurance 344 (2008:2)
- Operations Research (Eng) 345 (2007:2, 2008:2)
- Certification 478 (2007:2)
- Quality Assurance 412 (2007:1)
- Aerospace Systems Design AAE490B (Spring 2009)
- Safety and Risk Analysis for Complex Systems AAE590X (Fall 2009)
I also offer tutorials and workshops to industry.