This is an online course, set up to facilitate your self-directed exploration of Introduction to K-12 ePortfolios
. We have provided a beginning set of resources for you to begin your exploration.
Self-directed learning does not mean learning in isolation. With a variety of tools available to facilitate professional learning and dialogue, you have a variety of choices to explore these ideas:
Key Knowledge & Skills
- Self-paced and Collaborative: Collaborate with a fellow teacher in your school or district. Go through the lessons together and develop your implementation plan as a team. Discuss ideas in public Google Group (email). [Free]
- Facilitated course: Sign up for online class (can also be approved through school district or local university) [course fee]
- A private Google Group and an educational course management system (Schoology) will be set up to facilitate course communication and small group activities.
- Discussions through Google+ Circles & Hangouts, schedule announced in the Google group.
- Schedule an optional online video conference with Dr. Barrett (for your school or planning committee) using Skype or Google Voice. [Hourly fee]
- Schedule a one- or two- or three-day face-to-face workshop with Dr. Barrett in your school or district. [Daily fee + travel expenses - includes course fees for planning committee]
Requirement for Course/Evidence of Learning
- Elements of the portfolio development process to support deep learning
- Student metacognition/reflection in an online portfolio;
- Multiple purposes for implementing the portfolio development process;
- Web 2.0 and desktop/ laptop/mobile tools in portfolio development process
- Reflection in weekly blog/reflective journal (using WordPress.com or blogger.com as your reflective journal and learning portfolio), summarizing your learning for each lesson
- Electronic Portfolio Implementation plan* which includes:
- Plan for supporting student reflection
- Vision statement and plan for implementing e-portfolios with K-12 students
* OR Professional Portfolio
- URL with link to rationale for selecting specific online tools, created using that tool
- Participate in discussions on each lesson, in either Google Group email
discussions, in course management system or Google+ Circles (written posts & responses) and/or
Hangouts (live video).
*Alternative for Implementation Plan: If you are not involved in implementing ePortfolios with students, you may substitute these planning activities with developing your own professional portfolio. There will be Alternative suggestions for each lesson.
You will emerge at the end of this class with an increased awareness and understanding of how to implement electronic portfolios with your students, and also support your own lifelong and life-wide learning. Those participants not taking the facilitated course are also encouraged to keep the journal and develop the Implementation Plan.