Windows 7: How to deploy a standard WIM image using imagex.exe
Date:May 3 2010
1. download the .wim image file for your enterprise deployment
2. download or create a Windows 7 deployment USB boot key - ie WinPE 3.0 and copy the WinPE files to it such as imagex.exe, dism.exe, etc
3. Image a USB key with the Windows 7 USB boot image
4. boot the target machine with the USB key
5. Use the Mapdrive interface if installed to map a drive to the local share containing the enterprise .wim image file ( Win7-image ) or map a drive manually from the cmd prompt
( Mapdrive can be downloaded from download.net or softpedia.com )
6. start a command line interface ( from the Mapdrive interface if installed )
7. Run diskpart and run the following commands ( on a single disk system )
8. Run diskpart again and ensure that partition 1 is active
9. run imagex.exe from the Windows 7 WinPE USB key as follows
10. run the 32 bit BCDEdit from the Win7 WinPE USB key from X:\windows\system32 with the following cmd
11. Reboot( if using Mapdrive 2.76 use the reboot button, otherwise use the power button to reboot, or use the shutdown command from the tools directory
12. Windows 7 Enterprise should boot.
13. If windows 7 does not boot properly, boot up with the Windows 7 USB key, and run diskpart again and check that the partition 1 is active, and rerun the bcdedit command.
14. For the enterprise version you have three days to activate windows 7. To activate you must change the product ID to a valid Windows 7 License #. This will fix the DNS activation error you will receive otherwise.
Feel free to contact me ( Paul Jorgensen ) if you have any questions or positive comments!
remove brackets  below to send to correct email address
[ pauljorgensen5 ]@gmail.com