Things you'll need:
- 1/2 cup raw rice, cooked, grainy soft & fluffy
- 1/2 cup peas, thawed
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated Kobri/desiccated coconut
- 1-1/2 tbsp Mango Tokku
- 2-3 tsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal / black gram
- 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram
- 2-3 green chillies torn in half
- dash of hing/asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 8-10 curry leaves
How it's done:
- Place oil in a medium kadai/saucepan over high heat for tempering. When the oil is hot enough and shimmering but not smoking, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start spluttering, reduce heat to medium and add hing, chana dal, urad dal, torn chillies, curry leaves in that order and sauté until the lentils turn golden brown and green chillies show white spots.
- Add turmeric followed by chopped carrots and peas, sauté for a bit and let cook covered until the carrots are soft and can be cut with a spoon. Sprinkle salt, grated Kobri and mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Switch off the stove. Spread the rice on this veggie mixture, add mango thokku and mix well to combine. Adjust salt if needed.