3 1/4 c all purpose flour
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. buttermilk (I used a cup of vanilla yogurt)
1/2 c. whipping cream (I used milk)
1/3 c. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and chopped
4 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. caramel sauce
1 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl whisk the buttermilk, cream and melted butter. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Don't worry if it doesn't look like it's going to come together. Use your hands to kneed the dough until it comes together. If it seems a little sticky add some flour.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface using rolling pin. You want the dought to be about 18 x 10 inches. Spread the dough with softened butter. Combine the brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Spread over dough evenly. If you want to add the apples add them now.
4. Starting with the long end roll the dough as tightly as you can. It's a little tricky if you have the apples in the there. Pinch the seam to seal and place the roll, seam-side down, on the counter. Cut the dough into 12 pieces using a sharp knife.
5. Pick up the slices and place in a greased muffin pan.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. While the rolls are baking make your frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals until you can whisk the mixture together. Whisk in caramel sauce, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over rolls.