The Actual Move

John and Judy Snyder's Retirement in Mexico


Where to Begin

The Exploration Trip

Finding THE Place

Steps Toward Making it Happen

Tying Things Up NOB

The Actual Move

Building the House

A Photo Tour of the Building Project

Heads Up

Here in Mexico We Enjoy...



 Things got pretty hairy the last days as we were trying to fit into R-Kayma’s (the mover) schedule, which was not at all set in stone.  Finally he showed up one day in March and said, “Let’s do it.”  We really weren’t ready, so we worked nearly day and night to get the remaining things packed while R-Kayma and his helper packed it into the moving van.


Finally the moving van was loaded (overloaded—80,000 lbs.)  The pickup (and motorcycle) had been loaded in the van, so John was driving our Ford van with his mother and me on board.  The first stop was Waco, Texas, where we visited a very short time with my dad, and my sister and her family. 



On to the border at Laredo, Texas the next day.  The concern there, of course, was how reasonable customs would be, or if they would be reasonable at all.  At first we were told the motorcycle would not be allowed because it was too small to meet the import requirements.  The second person who looked at it wrote it down as an acceptable size, we paid the import duty and actually imported it.


We had no problem getting a one-year permit for our van, but we were told we would not be able to take the pickup in.  (We had unloaded it from the moving van  as vehicles cannot be part of the approved household goods).  John was already in the process of trying to sell it.  Fortunately, the young man couldn’t come up with enough money and John asked a different person at the customs office about it.  “Of course, you can each bring in a vehicle on a temporary permit.”  We were fortunate that both our vehicles were in both our names.  Our good friend, Luis, had taken the bus from Aguascalientes to the border at Laredo and was a big help in the customs process, besides driving the pickup back to Aguascalientes.  I really didn’t feel up to the challenge of driving yet on strange roads in a new country.  


So off we went headed southwest, the caravan of three vehicles.  The mover was determined to get to Aguascalientes and unload that night, so we were all fortunate not to get stopped for speeding as all vehicles were driving well beyond the speed limit.  We arrived at night and since the mover wanted to unload everything immediately, the helpers crammed everything into our 20’ x 32’ shop/storage building.  Of course it was unloaded in reverse order of how it was packed, so the things we need most were in back of the things we needed least.  We were disappointed that John’s brother’s garage wasn't finished so we could store things there, but we were just thankful to have a place to put it.  With the shop/storage so full, it was completely useless as a shop, so everything had to be done outdoors, making us grateful for good weather most of the time.



During one of our visits, after we bought the land, we were told by our friends, the de la Riva family, that when we moved down, we could use their apartment the whole time our house was being built—free of charge.  To be the recipients of such generosity was certainly wonderful and humbling.  The apartment had two nice-sized bedrooms and was fully furnished.  Besides all that, it was only a few minutes’ drive to our property.  We lived there 19 months until three rooms of our house were finished enough to move into it.