Disputing Errors on Your Credit Report

Credit report errors are very common. In fact, recent studies have shown that the majority of people have some sort of error on their credit reports-errors that are as simple as an incorrect middle initial or prior home address, all the way up to major problems such as accounts that belong to other people. You should review your credit report once a year.

Thankfully, it’s simple to dispute errors on your credit report. All you need to do is provide each credit reporting agency with a letter outlining your dispute and providing the necessary proof. Send your letter by certified mail to each credit reporting agency.

The three addresses where you need to mail your disputes are:

P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30348

(800) 685-1111

Consumer Disclosure Center
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

(800) 916-8800

P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

(888) EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

Your dispute letter should include your full legal name, social security number, date of birth, and copy of your driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification.

You should contact the credit reporting agency before you send your letter, as addresses and procedures may change.

Remember to sign and date the letter, and keep a copy of the letter as well as all back-up information you send. This may be important in the event that the credit reports are not properly updated with correct information.