SPC Meeting Minutes
Planning for the April 8th (Friday) Disco Dance
We have recruited a few parents to help with the water, face painting, and music for the Family Disco Dance on Friday, April 8th, 6:30-8:30pm in the school gymnasium. The ticket cost is $5 per family. This is going to be a big (500+ children) and fun event, and we will need additional parent volunteers to help with the front desk (ticket sales), floor supervision and crowd control, and snack distribution. The SPC Executive Committee will order various snacks (chips, fruit snacks, etc.) for the event, but it is strongly encouraged that parents feed their child(ren) before the dance. Parents/Guardians are expected to accompany their child(ren) to the disco dance – no drop offs. If anyone is available to help that evening, please e-mail the SPC Executive Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning for the May 6th (Friday) Teacher Appreciation Breakfast
This is another big JQES event where we will provide breakfast for the JQES teachers and staff (120 individuals total) in the cafeteria. In the past, we were able to get some great donations (food) from local businesses such as pastries, and it would be great if parents could help with the solicitations again this year. Attached is a sample solicitation letter that parents can use to ask local businesses for donations. We will also be sending a letter home with all the students to ask for donations from parents. In addition, we will be buying small gifts for the teachers and staff, so we are looking for ideas for gifts as well as donations. If anyone is available to help with this event, or has ideas for gifts, please e-mail the SPC Executive Committee at email@example.com.
Principal Soo Hoo – Updates
2300 Washington Street, Roxbury - 2nd Floor
Other Topics / Announcements
Questions, comments, or suggested topics for upcoming Parent Council Meetings? Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow JQS on Facebook: Josiah Quincy Elementary School
Presentation: Internet Safety for Children, Microsoft Center
Microsoft Center staff, Kristen McCullough (email@example.com), gave a presentation regarding internet safety. See attached PDF documents for more details. Highlights from the presentation include:
· Check your privacy settings in Windows. Consider enabling Do Not Track and Internet Explorer’s SmartScreen filter.
· Malware, including viruses and spyware, can be avoided by staying cautious. Don’t open email attachments from unknown sources and don’t click on advertisements offering PC protection. Keep Windows and your antivirus software up-to-date.
· If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t. Hover over links to check their actual destination. Check the site’s URL bar for proper spelling and security (https) before navigating further.
Upcoming JQES events
JQES students and parents are invited to an ice-skating party at the DCR Steriti Memorial Rink (North End) on Monday, January 18, 2016 (MLK, Jr. Day). Please dress appropriately; children must wear a helmet.
Parents were asked to sign up to volunteer for committees (Disco Dance, Teacher Appreciation, and Spring Fling). Please e-mail the Parent Council if you are interested in signing up for one of the committees: firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal Soo Hoo: Instructional Focus Activity for Parents
Principal Soo Hoo explained that the school’s instructional focus plan is to develop, deliver, and assess opinion writing tasks that improve student evidence-based writing in all grade levels (K0-G5). To help parents better understand JQES’ instructional focus plan, Principal Soo Hoo engaged parents in an opinion writing task by passing out a passage for parents to read. Parents were then asked if they agreed or disagreed with the statement, and to provide three (3) reasons to support their opinion with evidence from the text. See attached PDF document for more details.
BPS Budget Cuts - Parents inquired about the recently announced budget cuts to BPS for school year 2016-2017. Principal Soo Hoo responded that JQES will not be losing any teaching positions for the next school year, but the discretionary funding will be lower, and JQES will have to rely more on JQSA’s fundraising efforts for technology needs, etc. For more information about the BPS budget and the Citywide Parent Council, please visit: http://www.citywideparentcouncil.org/organizing-toolkits/
The following are Twitter accounts that BPS parents may want to follow in order to stay abreast of budget and other district-wide issues. Parents may want to consider signing up for a Twitter account - it's a great way to keep up with local information.
@cpc_Boston (Official Citywide Parent Council Account)
@wheresmyporsche (Co-Chair of the Citywide Parent Council)
@SuptChang (Superintendent Chang's Twitter Account)
@BostonSchools (BPS Official Twitter Account)
@marty_walsh (Mayor Marty Walsh's Account)
@titojackson (Boston City Councilor, Chair of Education Committee)
Questions, comments, or suggested topics for upcoming Parent Council Meetings? Please email us at: email@example.com
Follow JQS on Facebook: Josiah Quincy Elementary School
微软电脑公司工作人员,Kristen McCullough,她的邮件是(firstname.lastname@example.org), 为学生和家长讲解儿童网络安全问题。你们可以点击PDF 文件夹可以查询更多的资料。重点叙述以下的内容：
· 每當你在網上開帳戶, 你的個人資料，實際上是保留及儲存在公司的雲端。在決定加入前，細讀隱私政策，你的個人資料只給可信賴的公司。
· 在視窗 Windows 查看隱私設定。考慮使用不要追蹤 Do Not Track 功能及 Internet Explorer’s SmartScreen 過濾器。
· 只要保持小心謹慎，惡意軟件 Malware, 包括病毒 viruses 及間諜軟件 spyware 是可以避開的。不要打開不知名的電郵附件，不要點擊提供個人電腦 PC 保護的廣告。更新視窗 Windows 及抗毒 antivirus 軟件。
· 如發現有不妥之處，就算是問題不大，在啟航前，檢查實際目的地的連接，查看網頁 地址欄 url bar 的網址 ( https ) 拼字是否正確或安全。
关注昆西小学Facebook主页：Josiah Quincy Elementary School
Welcome and Introduction of the SPC Executive Committee Members
Members of the SPC Executive Committee welcomed everyone to the meeting, and introduced themselves to the
parent attendees. School Site Council (SSC) representative, Samuel Hurtado, was also in attendance, and
introduced himself to the group.
JQES Updates – Principal Cynthia SooHoo
Principal SooHoo introduced herself, and provided the following JQES updates:
that improve student evidence-based writing.
piloted the PARCC computer-based assessment for English Language Arts/Literacy and Math, and
according to recent updates, BPS students will be given the PARCC assessments again this coming Spring.
Because this is a new assessment, schools will be held harmless for low test scores (i.e., no penalty). In
2017, there will be a hybrid MCAS/PARCC test.
time will remain the same (9:30am-3:30pm). The extended learning time (40 minutes) will be
implemented in 2017-2018, but the exact start/end times have not been determined yet.
becoming an IB school like the Quincy Upper School. The IB program offers inter-disciplinary studies that
will prepare students to be more globally aware and engaged citizens. Students will have a more rigorous
curriculum. This proposal will first have to go through the JQES Faculty Senate and School Parent Council
for feedback, and then the School Site Council will get to vote on the matter.
trips, etc.) must fill out the CORI/SORI forms first. The forms are available at the City Connects office, and
you will need to include a copy of your driver’s license or state ID. It will probably take 3-4 weeks for
clearance, and the certification will be good for one school year. Please note that your confidential
information (e.g., SSN) will be collected, and Principal SooHoo will look into how the information will be
transmitted to the agency that checks the forms.
Members include Principal SooHoo, parents, and faculty. They will be reviewing the entire school quality
plan for this school year, and Principal SooHoo will be sharing the PARCC data regarding how the students
performed on the exam. It is an open meeting, but non-members will not be able to vote on the issues,
and the meeting minutes will be posted on the JQES website.
Presentation: Sam Healy, Nurtured Heart Approach
Sam Healy is a consultant for the JQES staff. He works with teachers to help students learn and stay focused in
the classroom. He also works with parents, and teaches them the same strategies to help their children be
successful. Highlights from his presentation include:
THREE MAIN CONCEPTS:
1) Relationships – Children need to have positive relationships with parents and teachers, as these
interactions with adults shape their brain development.
2) We get to choose what kind of relationship we want to have with students. Traditionally, it has been
more negative. The new strategy is to build a positive relationship with children.
3) Video Game Principles – Incentives are strong and predictable. Rules are clear and predictable.
Consequences are always delivered. Reset and restart without negativity.
1) Refuse to energize negative behaviors – Brief and mild consequence with as little interaction as possible.
2) Recognize and energize success in the moment – Look for small pieces of success throughout the day –
kids’ brains learn through success. If you’re negative to them, they will get into the defensive mode and
not learn, and we’re not at our best either when we’re angry.
3) Be clear and firm about consequences, such as a short time-out. Don’t spend too much time explaining
the consequences, just go straight into the consequence.
Upcoming JQES Events
12/17 (Thurs) - Winter Extravaganza (during school hours)
12/17 (Thurs) - JQOP Winter Concert, 6:30pm in the school auditorium
Parents were asked to sign up to volunteer for committees (Movie Night, Disco Dance, Teacher Appreciation &
Spring Fling). Please e-mail the Parent Council if you are interested in signing up for one of the committees:
Ice Skating Party on MLK Day at the North End Rink
Please save the date for our annual ice skating party to be held on Martin Luther King Day, 1/18/16 from 4-6 p.m.
at the DCR Steriti Memorial Rink in the North End. There was a question raised about possibly doing other
activities for MLK Day in the future.
Questions, comments, or suggested topics for upcoming Parent Council Meetings? Please email us at:
Follow JQS on Facebook: Josiah Quincy Elementary School
Next Meeting: Wednesday, January 13th, 6:00-8:00pm in the Cafeteria
Follow JQS on Instagram: Josiahquincyschool
成员-Samuel Hurtado, 也出席了这次会议，并向大家介绍自己。
3. 延长学习时间（ELT) - 下一年度的学习时间不会有改变（2016-2017），学校的主要上课时间
马丁路德金日在North End Rink举行溜冰派对
请记录下我们在马丁路德金日举行的溜冰派对，1/18/16 4-6pm 在DCR Steriti纪念馆。如果您有
关注昆西小学Facebook主页：Josiah Quincy Elementary School
Josiah Quincy Parent Council Meeting Minutes May 16, 2014 昆士小學家長委員會會議記錄 五月十六日，2014
1. The Playground Committee has raised ~ $3,500 towards playground improvements. Two of the playgrounds have been completed. The third one is process and requires further fundraising to complete.
2. Dunk Tank Day is Friday May 30th from 10:00am-3:00 pm. Every class will get a chance to take their aim and dunk a teacher. The cost will be $1 per throw per student, $3 for adults. Funds raised will go to support the completion of the playground.
3. Spring Fling is Thursday May 29th from 5:30-7:30pm. There will be a science fair, art show, scholastic book fair, the rock band will be playing, and Mr. McCarthy will be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers on the balcony. Teachers will be attending so this is a great opportunity to mingle with your child's teachers.
· Book Fair: students will have time to preview the books during school on May 29th and May 30th and they will be able to buy books during school on the week of June 2nd-6th.
· Art Fair: The art teachers have been working with the children to mount their art work which will be for sale for $5 each. You will only be able to buy your own child's work.
Ms. Wattles is going to need a lot of help hanging the art all day on the 29th and they need a few folks to man tables by the entrance. If you are able to volunteer contact the SPC at: email@example.com
Spring Fling: 5月29日，星期四，下午5:30-7:30. 這是一個科學展覽會，藝術晚會，學術書展，現場搖滾樂隊表演等等。Mr.McCarthy将烧烤热狗和汉堡包，教师们将会参与，所以这是一个与你孩子的教师交流的好机会。
· 藝術展覽會：美術老師一直在與孩子們製作他們的藝術作品，將每個5元出售。你只能夠買你自己的孩子的作品。Ms. Wattles很需要大家的幫助在29日全天掛藝術作品，和他們還需要一些人在入口旁幫忙。如果你能夠當志願者聯繫家長委員會,
4. Orchestra: Thursday June 10th is the Orchestra's final performance of the year. And everyone needs to renew their orchestra application for fall by Friday May 30th. Continue to check JQOP.org for event dates and orchestra information.
5. 5th Grade Graduation Volunteers needed. Please contact Barb Peterlin needs some 4th grade parents to help with 5th grade graduation party. She doesn't have the graduation date yet, but if you are interested in helping, please email contact Barb
6. Rooftop party is Friday June 6th. This will be a full POTLUCK event. WE WILL ONLY BE PROVIDING DRINKS. If you bring food admittance is free, it will be $5 each family without food. So bring your favorite dish, or pick up a pizza to bring on the way.
7. Talent Show- June 12th. Further information will be coming soon
8. JQS Social Media. Please follow us at: josiahquincyschool. We started an Instagram account for the school, Instagram is a free photo sharing app. We also just took down the old JQS Facebook page so we can fully update it and connect it to the Instagram account. We will not be posting pictures of kids. We wanted to get JQS active on social media for 2 reasons- It's a big school. Anything that can encourage a sense of community and school pride is a good thing. We also wanted to show new and potential parents all the wonderful happenings going on in the school every day. The second reason is, we received a lot of donations this year, food and otherwise. We have a lot of community partners. If we can recognize those donors in the social media sphere, where it could potentially prove beneficial to them (the donor) and we can maintain a relationship and encourage them to donate again. We spoke with Principal Ho about doing some kind of social media contest with the teachers next year- whoever sends in the most pictures receives a gift card to go toward classroom supplies. We'd like to do a "Teacher Tuesday" where we photograph a different teacher each week and hopefully include a fun bit of information about them that we did not know.
JQS昆士小學社交媒體。請關注我們： josiahquincyschool 。我們為學校在Instagram上開了帳戶， Instagram是一個免費照片共享應用程序。我們已把舊的JQS Facebook頁面暫停，這樣我們可以進行更新並把它連接到Instagram的帳戶。我們不會張貼孩子的照片。我們希望讓JQS活躍的體現在社交媒體中是因為：一,這是一所大的學校。我們需要促進社區和學校的驕傲感，也想向新的和潛在的家長展示學校每天的精彩生活。二，今年我們收到了很多捐贈，還有很多社區合作夥伴。如果我們能夠在社交媒體上列出捐助者，可能有助於捐助者和我們保持關係，並鼓勵他們再次捐贈。我們和何校長初步計劃明年可以和老師組織一個社交媒體比賽。誰發的圖片最多，就獎勵一張禮品卡，可用來買教室用品。我們希望舉行“教師星期二”的活動，每個星期我們拍攝不同的老師，希望能展示一些他們我們還不知道的有趣信息。
9. Psychologist Eric Wong provided an update on the Universal Screening Program that began this year. The program focuses on creating a system to be able identify and support Social/Emotional development for the entire school. JQS is leading the BPS field in implementing this program. Principal Ho will be presenting at the Social Emotional Workshop May 29th from 3-6 pm at the Boston Public Library.
心理學家Eric Wong更新了今年開始的Universal Screening Program的情況。該計劃的重點是為整個學校建立一個系統，能夠識別和支持Social/Emotional發展。 JQS昆士小學是率先在波士頓公立學校中實施這個方案的。何校長將於5月29日下午3:00-6:00在波士頓公共圖書館的Social Emotional研討會中作報告。
1. MCAS-Thanks to parents for helping purchase snacks. We still need more donations to cover the cost of the snacks, we ask that each parent donate $2.
2. No SPC meeting in April. May 16th will be the next SPC meeting
3. Disco Dance, April 11th-We are looking for volunteers for face painting, photo booth, distributing snacks and set-up, starting at 5pm.
4. The Chinese New Year’s celebration, winter concert, and deck the halls DVDs will be available at disco dance for $5 and later distributed by request through flyer.
1) Tech committee: 600 dollars was raised for tech committee last month.
2) Playground committee:
a. March madness-dress-up days. The goal is to raise $10,000 for replacing the rubber tiles on all playgrounds, if we meet $10,000 goal we are still short $12,000 (Principal Ho spoke about a potential payment plan for remaining balance).
b. April 4th, soak the staff day! Everyone can attempt to dunk Principal Ho and Vice-Principals, McCarthy and Chan in a tank of water. The kids are participating in a penny drive, attempting to fill giant jars with change. Everyone's jars are 1/2 way full, but we need more change!
3) Box tops: Raised $300 this month
4) Library: Raffle drawing is April 4th, still accepting tickets.
5) Orchestra: Spring concert, Thursday March 27th 6:30-8pm at the JQ Upper school campus- 152 Arlington St.
6) All school concert, Thursday April 3rd in gymnasium at 10am.Continue to check www.jqsop.org for updates.
7) Spring Fling: May 29th, time TBD, but potentially 5pm. This is a school wide event and will include an art show and auction, science fair, book sale, cook-out and potluck.
8) Splash: Friday April 4th, 6:30-10:30pm at China Pearl. Splash is a Fundraiser for JQSA, and will include: auction, dinner and dancing. Funds received provide children with swimming lessons (during school) and field trips. Without the money raised by this fundraiser your children would only have gym for 1/2 the year! Invite everyone you know! Tickets are $100. Tables for 10 are $900. Buy tickets on www.jqsa.org.
9) Site Council: 2 faculty positions opening up 1 5th grade SEI and 1 SEI kindergarten, also a part time 2nd grade position for 1 year (job share)
Presentation by Mr. Ng,
Science specialty teacher & head of technology committee. Mr. Ng was also the recipient of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching. This award was presented to him by President Obama!
Technology that is available at JQS:
· 50 chrome books (laptops) arrive today
· Computer lab- A class set (25) of PCs donated by a JQS family. A mobile mac lab, mac books stored on a rolling cart.
· Science mini-lab- 10 workstations hosted by 1 server where students can conduct research and use educational software.
· Numerous library resources- digital media, PC workstations, science learning corner w/ touch screen.
· JQS won 5 iPad for participating in BPS digital learning month.
· JQS has a class set (25) of iPod, available for teachers to use. Each teacher has a MacBook and access to LCD projector. School based workshops for teacher, tech training.
· On the roof WeatherBug- a weather station records real time data and is a source of local weather for meteorological teams like WBZ as well as for teachers. Science, weather and climate are one of the weakest areas for students taking MCAS, so this is one way for teachers to re-enforce science learning.
· The school website, part translated into Chinese. A bulletin board is maintained by families.
· Google apps for education. Working to help parents/students to understand google drive.
· For digital learning month the students worked on coding (code.org) and lower grades did podcast or Skype with an author.
· 350 students testing on computer next year, we are a pilot school for a digitized new test.
§ More chrome books.
Increase donations to: Donors choose. Teachers put wants on-line (iPad, etc.) And people can donate.
825 computers, we have 100.
1 mac cart for each building level.
§ An interactive learning lab in the library to replace old computers with touch screen technology.
§ Get students their own google account.
§ Collaboration- continue to offer workshops to teachers.
Computer workshops for parents.
The Tech Committee meets the 1st Wednesday of the month at 8am in library. Parents are welcome.
1. MCAS 感谢家长们帮忙购买零食。 我们还需要捐款，以支付零食的费用，我们要求每位家长捐出2美元。
3. 3. 4月11日，迪斯科舞會，我們正在尋找志願者幫忙：為小孩畫臉部圖案，照相，分發零食和佈置，於下午5點開始。
4. 中国农历新年庆祝活动和冬季音乐会的DVD在迪斯科舞会发售，每只$5美元。 表格将连同宣传单派发。
b. 4月4日，將校長浸入水缸日！每個人有機會見到何校長和副校長，Mr. McCarthy & Wu游泳。孩子們正在參加一分錢驅動器，試圖用零錢填充巨大的罐子。每個人的罐子只是填滿了一半，但我們需要更多的零錢！
3) Box tops: 這月份增加了$300美元。
5) 管弦乐队：春季音樂會, 3月27日，星期四，晚上6:30-8，在昆市中學校園152 Arlington St.
7) Spring Fling：5月29日，預定下午5點（未確定）。這是一次全校性的活動，將包括藝術表演和拍賣，科學展覽，圖書銷售，露天野餐。
8) 水花飞溅-昆士小學週年籌款晚會-定於4月4日，星期五，晚上6:30-10點在波士頓唐人街龍鳳大酒樓。這晚會為JQSA籌集費用，節目將包括：競投拍賣，晚餐和跳舞。籌到基金資助學生游泳課程（在校期間）和學生實地考察旅遊的費用。如果沒有這個晚會籌得的款項，你的孩子只能夠有半年的體育活動課程。邀請你的朋友一起參與！門票一張$100美元， 一張枱十人$900美元。購買門票可以到www.jqsa.org。
9) 基層委員會：兩個教師職位空缺：1個五年級SEI和1 個幼兒園SEI。還有兼職1年2年級老師。
· 50個chrome books（筆記本電腦）今日抵達
· 在屋頂上的WeatherBug - 一個天氣站記錄實時數據，是氣象組比如WBZ及其他教師了解當地天氣的來源。科學，天氣和氣候是學生參加MCAS最弱的一環，所以這是教師加強科學學習教育的一個途徑。
· 谷歌教育應用, 致力於幫助家長/學生理解谷歌網盤。
§ 更多chrome books
1. The first session of BCNC’s After School Enrichment Program ends the week of February 10th before February vacation. The second session is scheduled to begin the Monday after February vacation on February 24th.
There will be a
ONE-DAY REGISTRATION ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8. It will be from
11:00 am – 2:00 pm in the JQS auditorium.
2. We need your help! Target has an opportunity for parents to help raise money for their school.. Sign up for any Target Red Card and 1% of your purchase goes directly to the Quincy school. Be sure to enter the Quincy Elementary School (ID # 58843) as the school you support!
2. 我们需要你的帮助！Target 提供了一个让家长为他们孩子的学校筹款的机会。当你申请注册任何Target 红卡（Target Red Card），你的1%的购物额将直接捐到昆士小学。记住输入昆士小学作为你支持的学校 （Quincy Elementary School (ID # 58843)
3. Big Apple Circus (Date TBD) As a new JQS parent, I did not realize this event was every other year. We listed it on the agenda but JQS will not attend the Big Apple Circus this year but we will attend next year. My apologies for any confusion we caused you.
4.Technology committee update: Box Tops money may potentially be used for- buying a mobile security cart for ipads and chrome books, basketball hoop for indoor recess, playground poster competition.
4. Box Tops的钱可能会被用来-----购买 iPad 和 ChromeBook，室内活动用篮球架，操场海报比赛开销。
5.Principal Ho update: Mayor
had a surprise visit at 1:00pm on Feb.6 (Thursday) at JQS.He met Superintendent
search committee then met parents and students in the school library.
6. JQOP Updates:
v Ms. McDonald,JQOP director, just got a new grant $30,.000.
1) Saturday, Feb 8th- 3-5pm-- Trip with the Sibelius Orchestra families and students to the Boston Philharmonic Youth Orchestra rehearsal
2月8日，周六，下午3 - 5点 - 和参加Sibelius乐团的家庭和学生一起到波士顿爱乐青 年管弦乐团排练
2) Wednesday, Feb 12th---12noon-1pm—Performance at Tufts Medical Center Lunar New Year Celebration—JQOP Sibelius Orchestra, Mandarin Mornings program, Chinese Dance
2月12日，周三中午12--1点 ---塔夫茨医学中心的农历新年庆祝活动表演- - 有JQOP Sibelius乐团，国语早晨兴趣班，中国舞蹈的同学参加。
3) Wednesday, Feb 26th—1130am-2pm—JQES and JQOP trip to Children’s concert at Symphony Hall
2月26日，周三，上午11：30 - 下午2点， JQES和JQOP前往交响乐大厅参加儿童音乐会
4) Saturday, March 1st—JQOP Harvard Performance
7. Playground Committee, Erin, SPC co-chair updated on planned fundraisers and goal to raise $10,000家长会主席Erin更新为修建游乐场募捐活动,目标为1万美元。
8. JQS Fundraiser & Splash Update, Glyn/LynnSplash- April 4th, 6:30 at China Pearl. The JQSA needs to raise 60,000 every year to maintain pool and provide field trips. 昆士小学筹款协会更新： Splash --定于4月4日6:30在中国龙凤酒楼。JQSA每年需筹集60,000美金用于保养游泳池和学生实地考察的费用。
9.Quincy Upper Shcool update：
Principal Richard Chang and Stephen Cirasuolo shared a lot information about JQUP with us , especially their IB program. 昆士中学两位校长和我们分享了很多信息，尤其是他们的IB课程。
JQ Upper School Orientation for 4th & 5th grade parents and students are coming.(Date：TBD 四，五年级的家长和学生到昆士中学的迎新会即将开展。（日期待定）
10. This year the Parent Council Officers are mostly new to JQS. Since we have not attended these events previously or really know much about them. We would love to hear from parents that have been here about what makes these events fun and suggestions for improvements.
· Disco Dance (April 11th) We were glad to hear that former officers,Mary Rubin and Pam can help us to organize this event, and the current officers try to help them. 迪斯科舞会（4月11日）我们很高兴地听到，以前的家长会成员Mary Rubin 和Pam可以帮助我们组织这次活动，而目前的家长会成员设法帮助他们。
· MCAS weeks (March 18-31) Must be 3rd ,4th and 5th grade parents 麻州综合评估考试周（3月18日--31日）三，四，五年级家长需注意
· Teacher Appreciation Brunch (May 9th) Looking for donors and people to help set-up food, gifts, etc. 谢师早午餐（五月九日）我们需要捐助者和人来帮助准备食品，礼品等。
No Speaker this month but we would love to hear from you, are there topics you would be interested in hearing about at our monthly meetings?
If you have any questions or need to contact a Council Member, you can contact us through our the Student Parent Council email, which will go to all the officers and be answered as time in our schedules allows. firstname.lastname@example.org. We would prefer that if you have our personal emails that you not use these anymore to communicate with council members.
Need small group of parents to start diversity through arts again, raise money for arts program.
Volunteers needed to re-decorate Parent Council bulletin board. Lighting will be added.
BOKS (physical education program held before school) starts again, Feb 10 and runs till April 16th. Email email@example.com to sign up with Ms. Yee
BOKS（课前体育活动）2月10日将重新开始，并持续到4月16日。发送电子邮件到jqsparentcouncil@gmail.com 向 Yee 老师报名。
ASEP (sports and scholars and MFA arts program) is going to start again, this time it will not be a lottery but first come first serve. Sign up will be at 11am-2pm on February 8th,Saturday at JQS auditorium.
Tech committee is looking for parent volunteers. Parents who have connections to tech companies that will be willing to work with JQS. February is Technology month.
Dept. of Ed. is changing format of testing- in upcoming years testing will be done on-line (PARCC). We only have 50 computers for 350 students that will need to take test. Next year two 3rd grade classrooms will be taking on-line test (trial). 25 of school computers are mobil, 25 are stationary. Looking for ChromeBooks to increase number of mobile computers.
教育部门正在改变考试形式，将在未来几年转为在线完成考试（PARCC）。将有350名学生参加考试，但我们只有50台电脑。明年两个三年级的班级将参加在线考试（试验性的）。学校现有25台移动电脑，25台台式机。需要募集 ChromeBook 来增加移动电脑的数目。
Box Tops money may potentially be used for- buying a mobile security cart for ipads and chrome books, basketball hoop for indoor recess, playground poster competition.
Box Tops的钱可能会被用来-----购买 iPad 和 ChromeBook，室内活动用篮球架，操场海报比赛开销。
Chinese new years celebration: Feb 6
Raffle- Proceeds will go to media lab in the library. We need donations: gift certificates to restaurants, nail salons, sports tickets. Look for your kids to be selling tickets. Give all donations to Heidi Boulogne, librarian.
抽奖活动的收入将用于图书馆的媒体实验室。我们需要捐款。也需要您的小孩参与售卖餐厅礼券，美甲沙龙卷和体育比赛门票。图书管理员 Heidi Boulogne 负责接收所有捐款。
Splash- April 4th, 6:30 at China Pearl. The JQSA needs to raise 60,000 every year to maintain pool and provide field trips. Next JQSA meeting is Thursday Feb 13, 9:30 after drop off in conference room in the office, anyone is welcome to come. They need 10 items to auction- what works well: Neighborhood dinners, teacher events, sporting events. Any grants that parents are aware of that the JQSA should be seeking, let them know- firstname.lastname@example.org
Splash --定于4月4日6:30在中国龙凤酒楼。JQSA每年需筹集60,000美金用于保养游泳池和学生实地考察的费用。下一次JQSA会议定于2月13日周四上午9:30在办公区会议室召开，欢迎所有人参加。他们需要10样物品用于拍卖 - 任何适合拍卖的都可以，比如邻里晚餐会，教师活动，体育赛事等等。如果家长知道任何JQSA可以寻求的资金来源，麻烦发给 jqsassociation@ gmail.com。
MS. MCDONALD/ ORCHESTRA:
Please go to orchestra website: www.jqsop.org, for updates and upcoming performance dates and times, the site is updated regularly. There are still spots open for chinese dance (1st grade-5th) and mandarin mornings.
请访问乐团网站 www.jqsop.org 来获得更新信息和演出的日期时间安排。该网站会定期更新。目前中国舞（1-5年级）和早上的普通话班仍可报名。
CAMPS: Presentation of a list of over 30 camps, most have financial aid if requested. List will be posted on the google groups or you can email: email@example.com for the list.
夏令营：介绍了30多个夏令营。如果需要，大多数可申请经济补助。夏令营清单将公布在谷歌群，也可以发送电子邮件至 firstname.lastname@example.org 索要清单。
PRINCIPAL HO UPDATE:
Budget- It's the beginning of the budget process, he presented budget to Site Council. JQS has no budget cuts this year because student enrollment remains high. The District is making changes in how to provide services to special education classrooms- they have a 3 year plan for full kindergarten inclusion. Next year there will be 2 inclusion classrooms-1SEI K2 inclusion, 1 english language K2 inclusion.
财政预算--何校长向基层委员会介绍了初步财政预算。因为今年的入学人数仍然很高，昆士小学并没有削减预算。学校所处地区正在改变为特殊教育的学生提供服务的方式------他们计划3年内合并幼儿园的普通班和特殊教育班。明年将有2个合并班 ----1个SEI 进阶英语K2班，1个英语K2班。
Playground/school grounds- repairing of bricks in entry is in process, they are looking for the right tree to install. The district is replacing pavers for all playgrounds, except the 2 for Kindergarteners, replacement will begin in April. Need to organize fundraisers to replace Kindergarten pavers as well, cost is $20,000,we are open to suggestions. We are going to ask Kindergarteners to collect pennies, older kids collect silver coins.
Principal Ho would like to have mosaics, made by graduating students placed around school grounds. Mr.Cristos will continue to work with students to create these mosaics.
HEIDI BOULOGNE, LIBRARIAN-
JQS has an on-line library! Go to: http://www.jqselementary.org/activities and click on the library link. Resources available: Encyclopedia- catered specifically to all levels, with a search bar to enter any research item. It's Printer friendly and has a translate option. Tumblebooks- ebooks, great for ESL or kids that are having trouble reading. First in math- math for 1st grade up. Tumblebook Cloud Jr., for older kids/ advanced readers. Fiction and non-fiction, all levels, compatible to ipad and iphone. The password is: boston boston but its on the site if you forget.
图书馆管理员: HEIDI BOULOGNE
昆士小学有一个在线图书馆！可在 http://www.jqselementary.org/activities 单击 library 链接访问。可用资源有：百科全书--针对各种水平定置，可在搜索栏输入任何研究项目来搜索。易于打印，还有翻译功能。 Tumblebooks - 电子书，非常适合ESL或阅读有困难的孩子。First in math--数学练习，适合一年级以上的学生。Tumblebook Cloud Jr，适合年龄较大的孩子/资深读者。小说和非小说，各种等级，iPad 和 iPhone 兼容。（下面的内容需要确认，译者测试失败。）密码是：boston boston，如果你忘了密码，在网站上可查到。
Target has an opportunity for parents to raise money for their school. The funds raised go directly to the school for
classroom and art supplies. Sign up for any Target Red Card and 1% of your purchase goes directly to the Quincy
school. Sign up online or in person for a Red, credit or debit card - debit card funds come directly from your bank
account with no fees. Be sure to enter the Quincy Elementary School (ID # 58843) as the school you support.
请注册任何Target 红卡（Target Red Card），你的1%的购物额将直接捐到昆士小学。你可以在网上申请或亲身到
Target店里申请信用卡Credit card或借记卡Debit card。借记卡的消费额直接从你银行户口转帐，银行不收手续费。
记住输入昆士小学作为你支持的学校 （Quincy Elementary School (ID # 58843)
The Fruit Tasting Committee is looking for one more parent to help organize a fruit tasting in May. All the expenses
are covered. Please contact email@example.com for more info.
We will begin conducting our meetings in English and Mandarin. If you have any questions or would like to contact a
Council Member, please use our Student Parent Council email which will go to all the officers,
Marlee McDonald, the Program Director for the Josiah Quincy Orchestra outlined a number of extracurricular
programs . See: www.jqsop.org for details. Openings for both girls and boys in the After School Chinese dance class
and Mandarin chorus
Principal Ho reviewed the budgeting process. Budgets are based on student number and final approval for 2014/15
is in progress. Principal Ho indicated that strong student enrollment at JQS will be reflected in a favorable budget for
the coming year.
City council meeting to discuss new JQUS project will be held at City Hall tomorrow, Wednesday Nov 20,12pm at Iannella Chamber. We are not permitted to speak but want to make a strong statement by having many JQS parents attend. (Contact Principal Ho for summary of events for update in the minutes.)
The last of a series of 4 Parent University events will be held this Thursday，November 21 from 6pm-8pm in the JQS Library. The topic is: Families and Schools as Partners. These events have been fantastic and the presenter Pam Bailey has given lots of practical parenting tips and ideas. Additional classes are available at other schools if you wish to continue attending (10 classes earns you 1 college credit.) at www.bps.org
The first fruit tasting of the year will be at breakfast on Friday, November 22, morning. It will be cranberry compote on low-fat vanilla yogurt. So encourage your kids to eat the school breakfast (and try the cranberries) on Friday.
4) Stereti Rink is booked for Ice Skating Party on January 20th, Free Skate is from 1:30-3:30pm, Private JQS skate party is 4:00-6:00 pm. NOTE TIME CHANGE
5) We are doing a little experimenting with the best meeting format for the SPC. It was suggested that we conduct our meetings in both English and Mandarin. I know the SPC has tried a variety of meeting styles over the years. We are hoping to offer a morning and an evening meeting by alternating monthly so working families can attend this year.
6) Lastly, if you have any questions or would like to contact a Council Member, please use our Student Parent Council email which will go to all the officers. We have a very collaborative group of officers this year and want to make sure everyone receives your questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
Presentation by Mr. Fred Bennett
(The Program Coordinator for Adult Education at the Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center)
BCNC offers FREE English class for immigrant parents and other caregivers of children in K-12. It is a fantastic program for non English speakers to help them better navigate the BPS system and support their child. Flyers with additional information are available in the JQS office and in the BCNC. There are numerous classes available through the BCNC.net help is available in mandarin or English.
2) 四次家长大学课程最后一次将在这星期四，十月二十一日，晚上6-8点在学校图书馆举行。题目是: 家庭与学校作为合作伙伴。主持人给了很多实用的育儿技巧和想法。有更多课程在其他学校举办，如果你想继续就读请查询：www.bps.com (10次课程賺1大學學分）
4) Stereti Rink 预定了溜冰派对在一月二十日举行，自由溜冰时间：下午1:30-3:30 昆士小学溜冰派对时间下午4:00-6:00 （注意时间调动）
6) 最后，如果你有问题或想联络家长会成员，请用学生家长会电邮，邮件将会发送到全部成员。今年我们是非常合作的团队, 并确保每一位能收到你的问题。email@example.com
Mr. Fred Bennett 介绍免费英语课程
波士顿华埠 社区中心为K-12全部年级学生的移民父母和照顾者提供免费英语课程。这课程能帮助非讲英语者更了解波士顿公立学校系统，和帮助他们的孩子。有关资料传单可以在昆士小学办公室和波士顿华埠社区中心索取。波士顿华埠 社区中心还有很多不同课程。BCNC.net 有中英文服务。
25 people signed in; estimated 30+ in attendance.
Principal Ho was unavailable to speak to the group.
In the absence of both SPC co-secretaries, Angela Marcelo took notes by hand. (Thank you!)
These notes were transcribed and lightly edited by Sandy Larson, SPC treasurer
1) SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL UPDATES
Ray Cheng, parent tri-chair of the SSC, reported to the group on what issues the SSC has been discussing:
· Food policy -- has been passed. The policy will be effective next school year and will be distributed with the final report card this year.
· Parent concerns with physical activity (not all K2 classes have gym).
· Budget decisions – Principal Ho has reconsidered decision to cut one class from grade 2. All classes will remain, and class size will continue to be low.
· Concerns about a letter circulating, that some parents have signed. It was not clear who wrote the letter, and no one at the group said they had a copy of it. No SPC officers had seen the letter.
· ELL program – Focus shift from too much testing to more learning.
· Report for case study – JQS achievements – included in a binder available to everyone. The case study is titled “’A Community School and Language Development Center’: A Consistently High Performing School for English Language Learners” and was prepared by the Center for Collaborative Education and the Gaston Institute. A copy is available in the SSC binder, which is in the School Secretary's office.
· Principal Ho is a recipient of the Pirandello Lyceum’s prestigious I Migliori in Mens et Gesta award, to recognize outstanding Americans of Italian descent who have made important contributions to their profession, to society and to the Italian-American community. Mr. Ho studied in Italy before moving to the U.S., and he got his first principal job, in East Boston, because of his Italian language skills.
Reactions & discussion:
One parent expressed concern about the 2nd grade class decision reversal. Who is at risk? If the teachers actually did benefit from cutting a teacher and adding a support person, then are some children not getting the help they need?
Some clarification was given on the Mandarin cuts. One teacher will be lost, but Mandarin instruction will still be done at all grade levels. (The letter that was signed by some parents was in support of Ms. Liu, the Mandarin teacher with the least seniority who will be let go.)
Some parents felt that letters/petitions should be shown to parent council, and should also go to Principal Ho. Others argued that for true democracy, parents have to be able to protest a policy or sign a form without “approval” from any other parents or school staff.
2) UPCOMING EVENTS
Relatively healthy snacks (fruit roll-ups and Sun Chips along with bottles of water) will be provided by volunteer parents (with money donated by grades 3, 4, 5 parents) as a treat for kids after taking the March MCAS.
(Note: enough generous donations came in to pay for both the March and May MCAS days!)
Movie nights will no longer be handled by Carolyn Forbes, and may not happen at all. Is anyone else willing to take this on and lead the effort to have regular movie nights? Money raised on movie nights goes toward maintenance of the school auditorium seats.
For the past few years, families have enjoyed an evening dance party in the school gym. Sample dates for this spring were discussed – March 30 is too soon! May 4 or 5 & May 11 or 12 are possibilities.
[Note: As of April 2, the date has been set at May 11.]
Carol Carlson reminded the current SPC officers that they do not HAVE to do every event that was done last year. Even though planning for the dance is starting a bit late, a show-of-hands vote was taken and the majority was for having it. So it shall happen!
Several people volunteered to help with the dance, and Sandy Larson gathered their names and contact info with the intent of setting up a dance planning meeting.
2012-13 school officer elections
SPC co-chair Douglas Duboulay expressed a desire to start the planning for next year’s officer elections early, to ensure an orderly election process and a diverse officer slate. Others mentioned that there are election rules and instructions in place, and it’s possible to have a BPS person assist. [Not clear whether that means having someone from BPS advise in advance, or be present at the elections.]
Teacher Appreciation Day
The National Teacher Appreciation Day is May 8, 2012. Parents usually plan a brunch/breakfast before school for the teachers and purchase gifts or gift cards with money donated by parents.
This was discussed as an event to be held on Fri, May 11. [Note: after this meeting it was decided that the Teacher Appreciation brunch will be Tuesday, May 8, since the dance is May 11.]
The teacher appreciation effort will involve sending flyers to parents to solicit donations of money and food items, organizing food for the brunch, organizing volunteers for that day, buying gifts or gift cards. Last year the teachers were given Target gift cards, but we could do something different this year. Someone mentioned that Panera Bread has been willing in the past to donate food. Carol Carlson said she has been involved in past years and can help this year.
JQSA fundraiser – “Splash!”
Tickets to the May 18 fundraiser – which raises money to support the JQS swimming program and field trips for lower grades – are $100. Teachers may not be able to afford this, so an idea was suggested to do some kind of drive to get parents to donate money to buy their child’s teacher a ticket to the event. [It’s not clear whether anyone volunteered to lead this effort. If you want to volunteer, please contact an SPC officer or send a note to the JQS parent Google group.]