1847: Boston architect Gridley J.F. Bryand designed the Old Quincy School.
1938: The Great Hurricane blew off the Old Quincy School’s roof and the auditorium underneath.
1939: Despite the extensive renovations, the Old Quincy School continued to fall apart…
1976: JQS moved to its current location at 885 Washington Street in Chinatown, Boston. 1984: The JQS Dragon Boat, designed by artist Jeff Moy, was decorated by the students of the school. The boat is currently located in the school library.
1985: The real Quincy School Market was founded by the Bank of Boston and built by Lyman Lee in the spring of 1985, when Charles H. Gibbons, Jr. was principal.
1986: JQS received the excellence in education award!
1997: JQS rooftop garden built.
1998: JQS received $22,500 from KaBOOM/NIKE to build a play structure on the lower playground. Quincy School and community helpers helped erect the large play structure. It was dedicated to the former principal Charles H. Gibbons.
1999: Ms. Lee became principal.
2005: JQS was nominated one of the top 100 elementary schools in Eastern Massachusetts.
2006: JQS celebrated its 30th anniversary.