“Living in Poetry, Living in Song”
Award-winning poet Linda Pastan
reads from her new volume Insomnia
with newly composed/recorded music by
composer/instrumentalist Joyce Kouffman
piano by Mary Watkins
song by "Sarah Vaughn-stylist" vocalist
- New music compositions by Joyce Kouffman
- Inspired by the poems of special guest poet Linda Pastan
- Lyrical jazz played by Mary Watkins on piano, vocalist Cheri Anderson, and Joyce Kouffman on classical guitar, strings, and percussion
experience beauty & deepen your connection with poetry and music
Saturday, November 14, 2015, at 4:00 PM
Community Presbyterian Church
11445 Highway One
Point Reyes Station, California
Tickets $25 at the door, $20 advance, limited availability
When you purchase advance tickets, your name will be on a list at the door.
Ticket sales cover only about a third of the cost of this event. We invite you to be a benefactor! There are several options for making a contribution:
- For non-tax-deductible donation, please send a check payable to Joyce Kouffman, P.O. Box 971, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956.
- Or donate online (you will have option to specify the amount) here:
- For tax-deductible donation, please send a check payable to Sound Orchard (our fiscal sponsor) with “Joyce Kouffman” on the memo line, to Joyce Kouffman, P.O. Box 971, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956.
- OR donate online with a charge card at SoundOrchard.org/joyce-jazz
We look forward to a memorable afternoon on November 14, 2015. ~
“Living with Poetry, Living with Song”
POINT REYES MUSIC CENTER
A full spectrum music and arts learning center
that names and nurtures your unique creativity
Director, Joyce Kouffman
Whatever your age, our mission is to work with you over a span of time to build your skills and your love of music. All the arts are utilized in this process from storytelling, to writing poetry and songs, to drawing and taking photos and video. We also dance, throw and bounce balls for hand-eye coordination, tell jokes in rhythm, and aspire to be at the heart of childhood, no matter our age, at every opportunity.
Private lessons, Classes, and Rock, Jazz, World Music and Classical Ensembles in numerous instruments
Family and Friends Music and Arts Retreats in scenic Point Reyes, California
Recording and Composing workshops.
Joyce Kouffman also performs live on jazz drums and gentle percussion, cello and electric cello, and ambient solo jazz guitar at your social events.
Point Reyes Music
Center Announces a new rigorous hands-on musicianship and ear training program for all ages! This is a basic Harvard College course (and children's prep course) in music skills made available to everyone, uniquely designed for each student's goals and pleasure!
See details under "Classes and Lessons"
Erudite, playful, deeply intuitive, Joyce Kouffman is a masterful, creative teacher/facilitator who listens to you and follows your creative energies in a special way.
Events Workshops & Retreats
- Poet-orio for Mother Earth, September 2014
- Time with Trees, May-September 2014
- Girls Rock Point Reyes, June 2014
- Summer Music Day Camp, June-August 2013
- Poetry Reading & Music with Jane Hirshfield, December 2011
- The Changing Season - Music and Nature Retreat, October 2011
- A Sea of Creativity, October 2010
- Sundays on the Green, six Sunday afternoons, September-October 2009
- Four-Day Chamber Music and Improvisation Immersion, October 3-7, 2009
- Creativity in Community, starting January 2009
- Music at the Center, October 2007
- Music Immersion Week, June 2006
Classes & Lessons
- A River of Words and Music DVD. Poetry readings by Jane Hirshfield, Linda Pastan, and Robert Hass, accompanied by new music compositions by Joyce Kouffman, premiered before a sold-out audience on October 5, 2007.
- Joyce has recorded and produced four CDs. Joyce's solo recording If Bach Were Brazilian... features Cello, Guitar, Bass, and Percussion interpretations of J. S. Bach, with a danceable Latin touch. All instrumental parts performed by Joyce. This is a 20-minute preview CD.
(2004) feature pianist-composer Mary Watkins and other great musicians including Cindy Brown, Ruth Davies, and Don Braden.
- Please write for a special limited edition of Joyce's poetry and music recording "Fierce Unruly Joy," with prize winning poet, Linda Pastan, and special guest vocalist LisbethScott !