Todd V. Lewis
Professor of Communication Studies
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University
- M.A., Ohio State University
- B.A., Biola University
CV Document (PDF)
- National Communication Association (NCA)
- Religious Communication Association (RCA)
- American Film Institute (AFI)
Awards and Honors
- "Legacy of Service Award" Pacific Southwest Collegiate Forensics Association (PSCFA), Pasadena City College (February 29, 2004).
- Selected for "Who's Who Among America's Teachers" 1996; 1998; 2000; 2004; 2006.
- Great Salt Lake Invitational, Distinguished Coaching Award, "Outstanding Forensics Coach West of the Mississippi" University of Utah (January 1994).
- Biola Yearbook Dedication (May 24, 1991).
- "AFA-NIET Distinguished Service Award" (1990).
- "The Jack Howe PSCFA Forensics Service Award" (1989).
- "Director of Forensics of the Year" California State Award, Presented at the Governor's Cup Speech Tournament, Sacramento CA (January 1989).
- "Forensics Coach of the Year" California State Award, Presented at the Governor's Cup Speech Tournament, Sacramento, CA (January 1986).
- "Continued Excellence in Coaching Forensics Award" Presented at the Governor's Cup Tournament, Sacramento, CA, (February 1985).
- "Dissertation of the Year" Nomination, SCA Award (1981).
- "Forensics Coach of the Year" California State Award, Presented at the Governor's Cup Tournament, Sacramento, CA, (January 1980).
Books, Articles, Chapters
- Tim Muehlhoff and Todd Lewis, “AUTHENTIC COMMUNICATION: CHRISTIAN SPEECH ENGAGING CULTURE” (Publication date, February 2010: InterVarsity Press)
- Jones, K., Zagacki, K. & Lewis, T. (2007). “Liminality, Communication, and Hope: The September 11th Missing Person Posters.” Journal of Communication Studies, 58:1 (pages TBA).
- “Communicating Readers Theatre: Messages in Group Performance.” Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishers, 2007. 236 pages.
- “Entertainment”(2006) In the Encyclopedia of Religion, Media, and Communication. New York: Routledge. Pp. 128-132.
- “The Holy Harry Potter Wars.” MovieMinistry.com, Issue 7, June 2 2004
- “Communicating Literature: An Introduction to Oral Interpretation.” 4th Edition, Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishers, 2004.
- “Religious Rhetoric and the Comic Frame in The Simpsons.” Journal of Media and Religion 1, (3), 2003. Pp. 153-165.
- “Communicating Literature: An Introduction to Oral Interpretation.” 3rd Edition, Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishers, January 2001. Pp. 250.
- “A Readers Theatre Script Book For Religious Groups.” Kansas City, MO: Lillenas Publishing Company, 1998.
- “Communicating Literature: An Introduction to Oral Interpretation.” 2nd Edition, Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishers, 1995.
- “Communicating Religious Values in the Screenplays of Horton Foote.” in A Rhetorical Analysis of Popular American Film, ed. by Marc Newman, Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishers, August 1993.
- “Readers Theater in the Church.” in Robert Webber, ed. The Complete Library of Christian Worship, Volume IV of VII Volumes, Book Two, "Music and the Arts in Christian Worship." Nashville, TN: Abbott-Martyn Press, 1994. Pp. 667-669.
- “Beginning a Drama Group.” in Robert Webber, ed. The Complete Library of Christian Worship, Volume IV of VII Volumes, Book Two, "Music and the Arts in Christian Worship." Nashville, TN: Abbott-Martyn Press, 1994. Pp. 674-678.
- “Communicating Literature: An Introduction to Oral Interpretation.” Kendall/Hunt Publishers, August 1991.
- “Two Scripts For Readers Theater” Lillenas Publishing Company, February 1990.
- “Delivery Skills in Value Debate.” Chapter in text, "Prima Facie: A Guide to Value Debate." 2nd ed., Co-Authored with Robert Vartebedian, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1989.
- “Critique of Informative Speaking Champion.” in 1988 Championship Debates and Speeches eds. John K. Boaz and James R. Brey, Normal, IL: The American Forensics Association, 1988. Pp. 111.
- “Forensics: A View From the West.” in Intercollegiate Speech Tournament Results, ed. by Seth C. Hawkins, 1987/88.
- “Charisma and Media Evangelists: An Explication and Model of Communication Influence.” Southern Communication Journal 54, Fall 1988. Pp. 93-111.
- “The Performance of Literature at Forensics Tournaments: A Case For The Use Of Original Material.” National Forensics Journal 6, Spring 1988. Pp. 63-67.
- “A Readers Theater Ministry.” Kansas City, MO: Lillenas Publishing Co., 1988.
- “Training the Layperson in Religious Dramatic Performance.” Journal of Communication and Religion 10, September 1987.
- “Delivery Skills in Value Debate” in "Prima Facie: A Guide to Value Debate." Co-Authored with Robert Vartebedian, Kendall/Hunt Publishers, 1986.
- “Hroswitha: Medieval Precursor of Religious Readers Theatre.” Religious Communication Today 7, September 1984.
- “Evaluating Oral Interpretation Events: A Contest and Festival Perspectives Symposium.” National Forensic Journal 2, Co-Authored with David Williams, Madeline Keaveny, and Michael Leigh, Spring 1984.
- “Historical Antecedents of Readers Theatre: Early Christian Reading and Recitation Practices.” Readers Theatre News, Winter/Fall 1983.
- “Readers Theatre in Jewish Worship Services.” Readers Theatre News, Spring/Summer 1981.
- “Church Drama Production Reviews.” Religious Communication Today, September 1981.
- “Church Drama Production Reviews.” Religious Communication Today, September 1979.
- History and Practice of Oral Interpretation/Readers Theatre
- Charisma and its Rhetorical Influence (especially in Religious Settings)
- The Rhetoric of Popular American Cinema and Television
- Religious Rhetoric in Animated Television and Film Features
- Application of Theory and Practice in Intercollegiate Forensics