- ICREA UPF Research Professor (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies)
- Professor of Finance and Economics (Catedràtic), Universitat Pompeu Fabra - Department of Economics and Business
- Professor of Banking and Finance at Cass Business School, City University, London (Part-time 2013-15)
- Barcelona GSE Research Professor, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics
- CREI Research Associate
- Advisor at Bank of Spain, Financial Stability Department, Madrid, since 2011
- Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR) - Financial Economics, London
- European Research Council Consolidator Grant 2015-2020 on Debt and Persistence of Financial Shocks
- Member of the Advisory Scientific Committee, European Systemic Risk Board (ESRB)
- Associate Editor, Review of Finance, the journal of the European Finance Association
- Associate Editor, The Spanish Review of Financial Economics, the journal of the Asociación Española de Finanzas
- Research Fellow of IESE Public-Private Sector Research Center, Barcelona
- Visiting Scholar at the Banque de France, 2015.
- Visiting Scholar at the Becker Friedman Institute at the University of Chicago, May 2014
- Consultant in several central banks and international organisations, since 2011
- Teaching at the Barcelona GSE Summer School in Banking and the Barcelona Macroeconomics Summer School at CREI
- Link to my Google Scholar citations, Curriculum Vitae, SSRN working papers, contact details: email@example.com
- PhD in Finance, INSEAD, 2005
- Main advisor: Xavier Vives; Scholarships from INSEAD and Bank of Spain
- MSc in Finance, INSEAD, 2002
- Master in Economics, CEMFI, 1999 (Scholarship from Bank of Santander)
- B.A. in Economics, Universitat de Barcelona, 1997
- Banking; Systemic Risk; Financial Crises; Macroeconomics and Credit; Monetary Policy; International Finance; Macroprudential Supervision and Regulation
- "Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What do 23 Million Loans Say About the Impact of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk-Taking?" (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina), Econometrica, 82 (2), 463-505.
- "The Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis" (with Rajkamal Iyer, Samuel Lopes and Antoinette Schoar), Review of Financial Studies, 27 (1): 347-372, 2014.
- "Financial Regulation, Globalization and Synchronization of Economic Activity" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Journal of Finance, vol 68-3, 1179-1228, June 2013.
- "Heterogeneous Transmission Mechanism: Monetary Policy and Financial Fragility in the Euro Area," (with Matteo Ciccarelli and Angela Maddaloni), Economic Policy, vol 28-75, 459-512, July 2013.
- "Monetary Policy, Macroprudential Policy and Banking Stability: Evidence from the Euro Area," (with Angela Maddaloni), International Journal of Central Banking, March 2013, 121-69.
- "Credit Supply and Monetary Policy: Identifying the Bank Balance-Sheet Channel with Loan Applications" (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina), American Economic Review, August Vol. 102, No. 5, 2301-26, 2012.
- "Bank Risk-Taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro Area and U.S. Lending Standards" (with Angela Maddaloni), Review of Financial Studies, 24, 2121-65, 2011.
- “Interbank Contagion at Work: Evidence from a Natural Experiment” (with Rajkamal Iyer), Review of Financial Studies, 24, 1337-77, 2011.
- "What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration? Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Journal of International Economics, 81, 75–88, 2010.
- “Combating Corruption in International Business Transactions” (with Marco Celentani and Juan-José Ganuza), Economica, 71, 417-448, 2004.
- "Macroprudential Policy, Countercyclical Bank Capital Buffers and Credit Supply: Evidence from the Spanish Dynamic Provisioning Experiments," (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina). Revise and re-submit to Journal of Political Economy
- "Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking and Pricing: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment" (with Vasso Ioannidou and Steven Ongena). Forthcoming at the Review of Finance.
- "Trusting the Bankers: Another Look at the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy" (with Matteo Ciccarelli and Angela Maddaloni). Forthcoming at the Review of Economic Dynamics.
- “The Real State and Credit Bubble: Evidence from Spain,” (with Ozlem Akin, José Garcia Montalvo, Jaume Garcia Villar and Josep M. Raya). Forthcoming at SERIEs, the Journal of the Spanish Economic Association special issue on "The Crisis of the Spanish Economy" (Issue Editors: Juan Francisco Jimeno, Tano Santos).
- "The Real Effects of the Bank Lending Channel"(with Gabriel Jiménez, Atif Mian and Jesús Saurina). Revision requested at the Journal of Monetary Economics.
- "Shocks Abroad, Pain at Home? Bank-Firm Level Evidence on Financial Contagion during the 2007-2009 Crisis," (with Steven Ongena and Neeltje van Horen).
New working papers:
- "Macroprudential and Monetary Policy: Loan-Level Evidence from Reserve Requirements," (with Cecilia Dassatti).
- "Cross-Border Liquidity, Relationships and Monetary Policy: Evidence from the Euro Area Interbank Crisis," (with Puriya Abbassi, Falk Bräuning and Falko Fecht).
- "Double Bank Runs and Liquidity Risk Management," (with Filippo Ippolito, Andrea Polo and Enrico Sette).
- "Securities Trading by Banks and Credit Supply: Micro-Evidence," (with Puriya Abbassi, Raj Iyer and Francesc Tous).
- "The International Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy Rates and QE: Credit Supply, Reach-for-Yield, and Real Effects," (with Bernardo Morais and Claudia Ruiz).
- "Credit Demand Forever? On the Strengths of Bank and Firm Balance-Sheet Channels in Good and Crisis Times," (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina).
- "Systemic Risk in Banking," (with Olivier de Bandt and Philipp Hartmann) Oxford Handbook of Banking, ed. by A. Berger, P. Molyneux and J. Wilson, Oxford University Press, 2nd Edition, forthcoming 2015.
- "Macroprudential Policy and Credit Supply Cycles," Banque de France Financial Stability Review, April 2014.
- "Systemic Risk, Monetary and Macroprudential Policy," Revista de Estabilidad Financiera Banco de España, May 2014.
- "Credit Cycles and Systemic Risk," CREI Opuscles 35, December 2013.
- Discussion of "Risk Heterogeneity and Credit Supply: Evidence from the Mortgage Market," in Twenty-Seventh Annual Conference on Macroeconomics, NBER Macroeconomics Annual, Daron Acemoglu, Jonathan Parker and Michael Woodford, Editors.
- “Loose Monetary Policy and Excessive Credit and Liquidity Risk-taking by Banks” (with Steven Ongena) in The Future of Banking, ed. T. Beck, CEPR Vox EU, 2011.
- "Interbank Markets as a Source of Contagion" (with Raj Iyer) in Financial Contagion: The Viral Threat to the Wealth of Nations, ed. R. Kolb, forthcoming from Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- "Discussion of The Effects of Bank Capital on Lending: What Do We Know, and What Does It Mean?” International Journal of Central Banking, 2010.
- "The Euro Area Bank Lending Survey Matters: Empirical Evidence for Credit and Output Growth" (with Gabe de Bondt, Angela Maddaloni and Silvia Scopel), European Central Bank WP 1160, 2010.
- "Summary of Low Interest Rates, Bank Risk and the Recent Crisis: Evidence from the Euro Area and the U.S. Lending Standards," (with Angela Maddaloni) Evanoff D. (ed.), Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition Proceedings, 2010.
- "Euro Area Household Credit Growth: Demand or Supply Driven?" (with Gabe de Bondt, Angela Maddaloni and Silvia Scopel), Revue Bancaire et Financière - Bank- en Financiewezen, 2010.
- "Systemic Risk in Banking: an Update" (with Olivier de Bandt and Philipp Hartmann) Oxford Handbook of Banking, ed. by A. Berger, P. Molyneux and J. Wilson, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- "Financial Integration and Risk Sharing: The Role of Monetary Union" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Simone Manganelli, and Elias Papaioannou) in: Mackowiak, B., Mongelli, F. P., Noblet, G., Smets, F. (Ed.), The Euro at Ten: Lessons and Challenges, 116-155, European Central Bank, 2009.
- "The Impact of Short-Term Interest Rates on Risk-Taking: Hard Evidence" (with Vasso Ioannidou and Steven Ongena) The First Global Financial Crisis of the 21st Century, VoxEU CEPR, ed. by A. Felton and C. Reinhart, 2008.
- "Evidence on the Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Credit Risk," (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina) in Evanoff D. (ed.), Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition Proceedings, 417-421, 2008.
- “Bank Lending Standards and the Origins and Implications of the Current Banking Crisis,” (with Angela Maddaloni), ECB Research Bulletin, 2010.
- "Contagion through Interbank Markets: Evidence from India," (with Raj Iyer), Vox EU, CEPR, 2010.
- "The Euro’s Financial Integration of Europe," (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Vox EU, CEPR, 2009.
- "The Impact of Short-Term Interest Rates on Risk-Taking: Hard Evidence" (with Vasso Ioannidou and Steven Ongena), Vox EU, CEPR, 2007.
- "Contagion via Interbank Markets: a Survey" Committee on Global Financial Stability-Bank of Japan-Fed Board-ECB 2007.
Selected Recent Seminars/Conferences:
- Columbia (Finance); Princeton; Imperial (Tanaka); Zurich University; Universidad de Navarra; NBER conference on "Monetary Policy and Financial Stability in Emerging Markets"; Tilburg; Maastricht; Banque de France; European Central Bank; Bank of England workshop on regulating bank funding; LSE Economic Networks and
Finance Conference; Journal of Monetary of Economics 2014 Conference (discussant); Deutsche Bank (London); Middlesex; European Finance Association Lugano (discussant); Becker Friedman Institute-INET conference on Macroeconomic Fragility, University of Chicago; CEPR CREI Ninth Annual Workshop on Macroeconomics of Global Interdependence (discussant); CEPR Conference on Financial Stability and Regulation at IESE (discussant); CEMLA-Association of Central Banks in Latin America and the Caribbean; Safe Assets Conference at the London Business School (discussant); Barcelona GSE Summer Forum "Asset Prices and the Business Cycle" and "Financial Intermediation, Risk and Liquidity" (co-organizing); World Bank / Bank of Spain "Financing growth: Levers, Boosters and Brakes" (discussant); Keynote speaker at the 14th Eurasia Business and Economics Society Conference; Keynote speaker XXXIX
Simposio de la Asociación Española de Economía-Spanish Economic Association Mallorca (2014)
- ECB "High Level Academics meeting on Counter Cyclical Capital Buffers"; The French Prudential Supervisory Authority conference on “Risk Taking in Financial Institutions, Regulation and the Real Economy”; CEPR-EBRD-EBC-RoF Conference on "Understanding Banks in Emerging Markets" at the at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (discussant); Keynote at the ERSA-South Africa First Annual Financial Economics Workshop Cape Town; Foro de Finanzas (Segovia) (Fall/Winter 2013)
- NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics (discussant); Adam Smith Corporate Finance CEPR Conference at Oxford; Federal Reserve Board; HEC Paris; CEPR Regulatory Reform Forum "A long term environment of low nominal interest rates" London; U Free of Amsterdam-UvA-Tinbergen Institute; IESE-ESADE-UPF (Accounting); Bank for International Settlements; LBS Conference on "Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Agents" (discussant); Barcelona GSE Summer Forum on "International Capital Flows" (discussant), on "Information, Competition and Market Frictions" (discussant) and on "Financial Intermediation, Risk and Liquidity Management" (co-organizer); Coface-Spain (Spring-Summer 2013)
- New York University Stern (Finance); XXV Moneda y Crédito Symposium; XIII Madrid Finance Workshop; AFA 2013 San Diego (paper+discussion) (Fall-Winter 2012)
- London School of Economics (Finance); London Business School (Econ); "The Macroeconomics of Financial Stability" at LBS (discussant) (October-December 2012)
- NBER Summer Institute 2012 "Finance & Macro Meeting"; CEPR Gerzensee Corporate Finance week; EEA invited session on “New Approaches to Financial Regulation"; European System of Central Banks Day Ahead Conference on "Financial Stability: Measurement, Theory and Policy Analysis" (discussion) (Summer 2012)
- NBER Macro Annual 2012 (discussant); EUI Florence (Macro); Duke Fuqua (Finance); UNC Kenan-Flagler (Finance); AEA 2012 Chicago (co-author presents); Corporate Finance Conference at U. of Minnesota (Jan-May 2012)
- CEPR Banca d´Italia "Macroprudential Policies, Regulatory Reform and Macroeconomic Modeling" at Rome; CEPR CREI on "Asset Prices and the Business Cycle"; CEPR National Bank of Belgium "Financial Intermediation and Macroeconomics: Directions Since the Crisis" at Brussels (discussant); IMF Jacques Polak Annual Research Conference on "Monetary and Macroprudential Policies"; Bocconi Carefin on "Bank Competitiveness in the Post-Crisis World: Implications of Regulatory Reforms and Exit Strategies"; IX Trobada Barcelona GSE at CSIC IAE (October-December 2011)
- CEPR 20th ESSET Gerzensee "Financial Intermediation, Regulation, and the Crisis" week (morning session); CEPR-EBC-HEC-NYSE/Euronext-RoF "Financial Intermediation and the Real Economy" @ Paris NYSE/Euronext (discussant); CEPR-CREI Conference on Institutions and International Capital Flows (attended, co-author presented); ECB (Summer 2011)
- Harvard (applied theory); MIT (micro applications/ labor); Federal Reserve Board at DC; IMF (research); IESE (February-April 2011)
- AEA (3 papers + discussion), AFA (1 paper) (scheduled) 2011 Denver
- Bank of Santander (discussant) (November 2010)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra; ECB (September-October 2010)
- EFA Frankfurt 2010 (discussion); Econometric Society World Congress 2010 Shanghai (August 2010)
- NBER Summer Institute 2010, Monetary Economics group, July 2010
- WFA 2010 Victoria; Review of Financial Studies and Kauffmann Foundation "Entrepreneurial Finance and Innovation" Conference (June 2010)
- CEPR conference on “Bank Crisis Prevention and Resolution” Amsterdam (discussion) (May 2010)
- IESE & ESADE joint seminar; BIS Basel; Goethe University (April-May 2010)
- CEPR conference on "Procyclicality and Financial Regulation" Tilburg (discussion); Workshop on Industrial Organization and Banking at IESE (March 2010)
- New York Fed; Darmouth College (econ); De Nederlandsche Bank (February 2010)
- AFA Atlanta 2010 (discussion)
- ECARES-Université Libre de Bruxelles; University of Amsterdam-Tinbergen Institute (October 2009)
- NBER Summer Institute, Risk and Financial Institutions group, July 2009
- NBER Summer Institute, Capital Markets and the Macroeconomy group, July 2009
- Review of Financial Studies Financial Crisis Conference at Yale, July 2009
- CEPR conference on Financial Crisis, Barcelona, May 2009
- CEPR conference on Money, Banking and Finance, Rome, October 2009
- CEPR conference on Global Interdependence, Florence, March 2009
- Financial Intermediation Research Society, Prague, May 2009
- AFA San Francisco 2009
- ECB Staff Paper on The Euro at Ten - 5th ECB Central Banking Conference, 13-14 Nov 2008
- American Economic Review, Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Review of Economic Studies, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Political Economy, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Economic Policy, Economica, Journal of Applied Econometrics, International Journal of Central Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, ECB Working Papers, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, La Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva, Management Science.
- Banking and other Financial Institutions, Undergrad 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 UPF
- Financial Institutions Management, Master, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 Barcelona GSE - UPF
- Systemic Risk and Financial Crises, Master, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 Barcelona GSE - UPF
- Empirical Finance, Master, 2013/14, 2014/15 Barcelona GSE - UAB
- Financial Institutions Management, Master 2014/15 Barcelona School of Management
- Systemic Risk and Prudential Policy, Continuing Education, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Barcelona GSE - UPF (co-director with X. Freixas; also teaching C. Brownlees, J. García-Montalvo, J. Galí, J. Ventura and X. Vives)
- Banking Summer School, 2013, 2014, 2015 Barcelona GSE - UPF
- Barcelona Macroeconomics Summer School, 2015, CREI
- Banking Theory, Master, 2011/12 and 2012/13, Barcelona GSE - UPF (with Xavier Freixas)
Publications in Spanish Journals and Seminars in Spain:
- "Bank Credit Standards, Demand, Pro-cyclicality and the Business Cycle," (with Angela Maddaloni), Moneda y Crédito, #230, 2010.
- “Las Implicaciones Macroeconómicas de la Integración Financiera,” Papeles de Economía Española, November, 2009.
- “Bancos, Crédito y Mecanismo de Transmisión de la Política Monetaria: Nuevas Perspectivas,” (with Santiago Carbó Valverde and David Marqués), Perspectivas del Sistema Financiero, #95, 2009.
- "Interbank Contagion," Moneda y Crédito, #224, 2007.
- Seminars: Banco de España, Banco Santander, La Caixa, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universidad Carlos III, IESE, ESADE, Instituto de Empresa, Universidad de Navarra, Coface Spain.