- ICREA Research Professor at Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies - UPF, since 2013
- Professor of Finance and Economics (Catedràtic), Universitat Pompeu Fabra - Department of Economics and Business, Barcelona, since 2013
- Professor of Banking and Finance at Cass Business School, City University, London (Part-time 2013-15)
- Advisor at Bank of Spain, Financial Stability Department, Madrid, since 2011
- Affiliated Professor, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, since 2011
- Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR) - Financial Economics, London
- Associate Editor, Review of Finance, the journal of the European Finance Association
- Associate Editor, The Spanish Review of Financial Economics, the journal of the Asociación Española de Finanzas
- Research Fellow of IESE Public-Private Sector Research Center, Barcelona
- Visiting Scholar at the Becker Friedman Institute at the University of Chicago, May 2014
- Consultant at the Federal Reserve Board, Washington DC, August 2013, and at International Monetary Fund, Washington DC, April 2012
- Economist at the European Central Bank, Frankfurt am Main, May 2005-October 2011 (on leave of absence)
- Link to my Google Scholar citations, Curriculum Vitae, SSRN working papers, contact details: email@example.com
- Book on Systemic Risk, Financial Crises and Macroprudential Policy, MIT Press, co-authored with Xavier Freixas and Luc Laeven (forthcoming)
- Systemic Risk and Prudential Policy, Continuing Education/ Professional Course, 12-15 February 2014, Barcelona GSE - UPF (co-director with Xavier Freixas; also teaching Christian Brownlees, Jordi Galí, José García-Montalvo, and Jaume Ventura). Third Edition
- Teaching Financial Institutions Management, Empirical Finance, and Systemic Risk and Financial Crises at Barcelona GSE Masters; and Banking and Financial Institutions at UPF undergraduate (2013-2014)
- Teaching Empirical Banking - Applications at the Barcelona GSE Banking Summer School at UPF, July 2013 (new course in July 2014)
- Financial Intermediation, Risk and Liquidity Management, Workshop co-organized with X. Freixas at the Barcelona GSE Summer Forum, June 19-20 (new conference in 10-11 June 2014)
- (Granted but gave up) Ramón y Cajal Fellowship, 2013-18
- PhD in Finance, INSEAD, 2005
- Main advisor: Xavier Vives; Scholarships from INSEAD and Bank of Spain
- MSc in Finance, INSEAD, 2002
- Master in Economics, CEMFI, 1999 (Scholarship from Bank of Santander)
- B.A. in Economics, Universitat de Barcelona, 1997
- Banking; Systemic Risk; Financial Crises; Contagion; Macroeconomics and Credit; Monetary Policy; International Finance; Financial Innovation; Public Policy (Macro- & Micro-Prudential Supervision and Regulation, Central Bank Policies, Financial Liberalization, Law and Finance, the Euro)
- "Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What do 23 Million Loans Say About the Impact of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk-Taking?" (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina), forthcoming in Econometrica.
- "The Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis" (with Rajkamal Iyer, Samuel Lopes and Antoinette Schoar), Review of Financial Studies, 27 (1): 347-372, 2014.
- "Financial Regulation, Globalization and Synchronization of Economic Activity" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Journal of Finance, vol 68-3, 1179-1228, June 2013.
- "Heterogeneous Transmission Mechanism: Monetary Policy and Financial Fragility in the Euro Area," (with Matteo Ciccarelli and Angela Maddaloni), Economic Policy, vol 28-75, 459-512, July 2013.
- "Monetary Policy, Macroprudential Policy and Banking Stability: Evidence from the Euro Area," (with Angela Maddaloni), International Journal of Central Banking, March 2013, 121-69.
- "Credit Supply and Monetary Policy: Identifying the Bank Balance-Sheet Channel with Loan Applications" (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina), American Economic Review, August Vol. 102, No. 5, 2301-26, 2012.
- "Bank Risk-Taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro Area and U.S. Lending Standards" (with Angela Maddaloni), Review of Financial Studies, 24, 2121-65, 2011.
- “Interbank Contagion at Work: Evidence from a Natural Experiment” (with Rajkamal Iyer), Review of Financial Studies, 24, 1337-77, 2011.
- "What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration? Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Journal of International Economics, 81, 75–88, 2010.
- “Combating Corruption in International Business Transactions” (with Marco Celentani and Juan-José Ganuza), Economica, 71, 417-448, 2004.
Work in Progress:
- "Shocks Abroad, Pain at Home? Bank-Firm Level Evidence on Financial Contagion during the 2007-2009 Crisis," (with Steven Ongena and Neeltje van Horen).
- "Interbank Stress, Private & Public Liquidity Provision," (with Javier Mencía, Jesús Saurina and Xavier Vives).
- Discussion of "Risk Heterogeneity and Credit Supply: Evidence from the Mortgage Market," in Twenty-Seventh Annual Conference on Macroeconomics, NBER Macroeconomics Annual, Daron Acemoglu, Jonathan Parker and Michael Woodford, Editors.
- “Loose Monetary Policy and Excessive Credit and Liquidity Risk-taking by Banks” (with Steven Ongena) in The Future of Banking, ed. T. Beck, CEPR Vox EU, 2011.
- "Interbank Markets as a Source of Contagion" (with Raj Iyer) in Financial Contagion: The Viral Threat to the Wealth of Nations, ed. R. Kolb, forthcoming from Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- "Discussion of The Effects of Bank Capital on Lending: What Do We Know, and What Does It Mean?” International Journal of Central Banking, 2010.
- "The Euro Area Bank Lending Survey Matters: Empirical Evidence for Credit and Output Growth" (with Gabe de Bondt, Angela Maddaloni and Silvia Scopel), European Central Bank WP 1160, 2010.
- "Summary of Low Interest Rates, Bank Risk and the Recent Crisis: Evidence from the Euro Area and the U.S. Lending Standards," (with Angela Maddaloni) Evanoff D. (ed.), Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition Proceedings, 2010.
- "Euro Area Household Credit Growth: Demand or Supply Driven?" (with Gabe de Bondt, Angela Maddaloni and Silvia Scopel), Revue Bancaire et Financière - Bank- en Financiewezen, 2010.
- "Systemic Risk in Banking: an Update" (with Olivier de Bandt and Philipp Hartmann) Oxford Handbook of Banking, ed. by A. Berger, P. Molyneux and J. Wilson, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- "Financial Integration and Risk Sharing: The Role of Monetary Union" (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Simone Manganelli, and Elias Papaioannou) in: Mackowiak, B., Mongelli, F. P., Noblet, G., Smets, F. (Ed.), The Euro at Ten: Lessons and Challenges, 116-155, European Central Bank, 2009.
- "The Impact of Short-Term Interest Rates on Risk-Taking: Hard Evidence" (with Vasso Ioannidou and Steven Ongena) The First Global Financial Crisis of the 21st Century, VoxEU CEPR, ed. by A. Felton and C. Reinhart, 2008.
- "Evidence on the Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Credit Risk," (with Gabriel Jiménez, Steven Ongena and Jesús Saurina) in Evanoff D. (ed.), Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition Proceedings, 417-421, 2008.
- “Bank Lending Standards and the Origins and Implications of the Current Banking Crisis,” (with Angela Maddaloni), ECB Research Bulletin, 2010.
- "Contagion through Interbank Markets: Evidence from India," (with Raj Iyer), Vox EU, CEPR, 2010.
- "The Euro’s Financial Integration of Europe," (with Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan and Elias Papaioannou), Vox EU, CEPR, 2009.
- "The Impact of Short-Term Interest Rates on Risk-Taking: Hard Evidence" (with Vasso Ioannidou and Steven Ongena), Vox EU, CEPR, 2007.
- "Contagion via Interbank Markets: a Survey" Committee on Global Financial Stability-Bank of Japan-Fed Board-ECB 2007.
Selected Recent Seminars/Conferences:
- Columbia (Finance); Princeton; Deutsche Bank (London); OECD; European Investment Bank; World Bank; IMF; Maryland University; Zurich University; Universidad de Navarra; NBER conference on "Monetary Policy and Financial Stability in Emerging Markets"; Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) at the Université Catholique de Louvain; Tilburg; Maastricht; Carlos III; Banque de France; New York Fed; Becker Friedman Institute-INET conference on Macroeconomic Fragility, University of Chicago; CEPR CREI Ninth Annual Workshop on Macroeconomics of Global Interdependence (discussant) (2014 scheduled)
- ECB "High Level Academics meeting on Counter Cyclical Capital Buffers"; The French Prudential Supervisory Authority conference on “Risk Taking in Financial Institutions, Regulation and the Real Economy”; CEPR-EBRD-EBC-RoF Conference on "Understanding Banks in Emerging Markets" at the at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (discussant); Keynote at the ERSA-South Africa First Annual Financial Economics Workshop Cape Town; Foro de Finanzas (Segovia) (Fall/Winter 2013)
- NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics (discussant); Adam Smith Corporate Finance CEPR Conference at Oxford; Federal Reserve Board; HEC Paris; CEPR Regulatory Reform Forum "A long term environment of low nominal interest rates" London; U Free of Amsterdam-UvA-Tinbergen Institute; IESE-ESADE-UPF (Accounting); Bank for International Settlements; LBS Conference on "Macroeconomic Dynamics with Heterogeneous Agents" (discussant); Barcelona GSE Summer Forum on "International Capital Flows" (discussant), on "Information, Competition and Market Frictions" (discussant) and on "Financial Intermediation, Risk and Liquidity Management" (co-organizer); Coface-Spain (Spring-Summer 2013)
- New York University Stern (Finance); XXV Moneda y Crédito Symposium; XIII Madrid Finance Workshop; AFA 2013 San Diego (paper+discussion) (Fall-Winter 2012)
- London School of Economics (Finance); London Business School (Econ); "The Macroeconomics of Financial Stability" at LBS (discussant) (October-December 2012)
- NBER Summer Institute 2012 "Finance & Macro Meeting"; CEPR Gerzensee Corporate Finance week; EEA invited session on “New Approaches to Financial Regulation"; European System of Central Banks Day Ahead Conference on "Financial Stability: Measurement, Theory and Policy Analysis" (discussion) (Summer 2012)
- NBER Macro Annual 2012 (discussant); EUI Florence (Macro); Duke Fuqua (Finance); UNC Kenan-Flagler (Finance); AEA 2012 Chicago (co-author presents); Corporate Finance Conference at U. of Minnesota (Jan-May 2012)
- CEPR Banca d´Italia "Macroprudential Policies, Regulatory Reform and Macroeconomic Modeling" at Rome; CEPR CREI on "Asset Prices and the Business Cycle"; CEPR National Bank of Belgium "Financial Intermediation and Macroeconomics: Directions Since the Crisis" at Brussels (discussant); IMF Jacques Polak Annual Research Conference on "Monetary and Macroprudential Policies"; Bocconi Carefin on "Bank Competitiveness in the Post-Crisis World: Implications of Regulatory Reforms and Exit Strategies"; IX Trobada Barcelona GSE at CSIC IAE (October-December 2011)
- CEPR 20th ESSET Gerzensee "Financial Intermediation, Regulation, and the Crisis" week (morning session); CEPR-EBC-HEC-NYSE/Euronext-RoF "Financial Intermediation and the Real Economy" @ Paris NYSE/Euronext (discussant); CEPR-CREI Conference on Institutions and International Capital Flows (attended, co-author presented); ECB (Summer 2011)
- Harvard (applied theory); MIT (micro applications/ labor); Federal Reserve Board at DC; IMF (research); IESE (February-April 2011)
- AEA (3 papers + discussion), AFA (1 paper) (scheduled) 2011 Denver
- Bank of Santander (discussant) (November 2010)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra; ECB (September-October 2010)
- EFA Frankfurt 2010 (discussion); Econometric Society World Congress 2010 Shanghai (August 2010)
- NBER Summer Institute 2010, Monetary Economics group, July 2010
- WFA 2010 Victoria; Review of Financial Studies and Kauffmann Foundation "Entrepreneurial Finance and Innovation" Conference (June 2010)
- CEPR conference on “Bank Crisis Prevention and Resolution” Amsterdam (discussion) (May 2010)
- IESE & ESADE joint seminar; BIS Basel; Goethe University (April-May 2010)
- CEPR conference on "Procyclicality and Financial Regulation" Tilburg (discussion); Workshop on Industrial Organization and Banking at IESE (March 2010)
- New York Fed; Darmouth College (econ); De Nederlandsche Bank (February 2010)
- AFA Atlanta 2010 (discussion)
- ECARES-Université Libre de Bruxelles; University of Amsterdam-Tinbergen Institute (October 2009)
- NBER Summer Institute, Risk and Financial Institutions group, July 2009
- NBER Summer Institute, Capital Markets and the Macroeconomy group, July 2009
- Review of Financial Studies Financial Crisis Conference at Yale, July 2009
- CEPR conference on Financial Crisis, Barcelona, May 2009
- CEPR conference on Money, Banking and Finance, Rome, October 2009
- CEPR conference on Global Interdependence, Florence, March 2009
- Financial Intermediation Research Society, Prague, May 2009
- AFA San Francisco 2009
- ECB Staff Paper on The Euro at Ten - 5th ECB Central Banking Conference, 13-14 Nov 2008
- American Economic Review, Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Review of Economic Studies, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Economic Policy, Economica, Journal of Applied Econometrics, International Journal of Central Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, ECB Working Papers, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, La Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva, Management Science.
- Banking and other Financial Institutions, Undergrad 2012/13, UPF
- Financial Institutions Management, Master, 2011/12 and 2012/13, Barcelona GSE - UPF
- Banking Theory, Master, 2011/12 and 2012/13, Barcelona GSE - UPF (with Xavier Freixas)
- Empirical Banking and Financial Crises, Master, 2011/12 and 2012/13, Barcelona GSE - UPF
- Systemic Risk and Prudential Policy, Continuing Education, May 16-19 2012 and 2013, Barcelona GSE - UPF (co-director with X. Freixas; also teaching C. Brownlees, J. García-Montalvo, J. Galí, N. Gennaioli and J. Ventura)
Publications in Spanish Journals and Seminars in Spain:
- "Bank Credit Standards, Demand, Pro-cyclicality and the Business Cycle," (with Angela Maddaloni), Moneda y Crédito, #230, 2010.
- “Las Implicaciones Macroeconómicas de la Integración Financiera,” Papeles de Economía Española, November, 2009.
- “Bancos, Crédito y Mecanismo de Transmisión de la Política Monetaria: Nuevas Perspectivas,” (with Santiago Carbó Valverde and David Marqués), Perspectivas del Sistema Financiero, #95, 2009.
- "Interbank Contagion," Moneda y Crédito, #224, 2007.
- Seminars: Banco de España, Banco Santander, La Caixa, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universidad Carlos III, IESE, ESADE, Instituto de Empresa, Coface Spain.