Interpretive Signs Project
An exciting project is underway in North Creek, along the scenic Hudson River Riverwalk. Two large interpretive signs describing historical sites were installed in October 2019, and more signs are planned.
The first bridge over the Hudson River at North Creek is commemorated at a site which offers a view of the river and the current bridge. A handsome rustic bench at the site offers viewers a place from which to admire this significant piece of North Creek history.
A second sign was installed at the historic Waddell Buildings, just upriver from the bridge, at the Riverfront Park complex. The William R. Waddell and Lee Waddell buildings, erected in 1901 and still standing, began as a stabling area for "Red Ball" North Creek-Indian Lake Stagecoach line. They were later adapted to coal and animal feed businesses. Wm. R. Waddell was a state assemblyman from 1904 to 1910. His grandson of the same name worked here from the 40s until closing on December 30, 1972. It was then the oldest Ralston Purina dealership in the state.
The signs, created by Garnet Signs of Chestertown, NY, are constructed of high pressure laminate and are mounted on a weatherproof powder coated aluminum base.
This project has been supported enthusiastically by Warren County Occupancy Tax Grant Program, by Community Fund for the Gore Mountain Region/Adirondack Foundation, and by Johnsburg Historical Society. Walk this easy trail from Tannery Pond ommunity Center to the Riverfront Park, then along Main Street and back to Tannery Pond Community Center, a loop of one and a half miles.