Home‎ > ‎Standard Life buildings‎ > ‎

16 St Andrew Square

1780    Probably occupied by Mrs[?] Scott of Horstlie hill - no street numbers given [Peter Williamson's Directory for Edinburgh June 1780-June 1781, Edinburgh 1780]














1833    Occupied by Miss Scott of Horsley Hill [Edinburgh POD] [A Possibly the daughter of Robert Scott of Horsely Hill, Col of the 6th Regiment of Foot who died in 1770. He is buried in Petersham parish Church, Sussex but represents a great Borders family]

1841    9 December: Application to the Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court by John Dundas and William Wilson clerks to the Signet to alter the entrance.

















1843    Dundas & Wilson WS move to 15 St Andrew Square in 1842. Took on No. 16 in 1843. In 1916 the Firm acquired the additional space in 17 St. Andrew Square. firm moved out in 1964 to 1 St. Colme Street.

1854    29 May. Letter from J.V.D [?] 16 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh to to Henry Ingilby, offering congratulations on his inheritance of Ripley, with humorous verse [National Archives, Kew, WYL230/3574 held by West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds]

1855   9 November: Application to the Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court by John Dundas, William Wilson and Alexander Montgomerie Bell, clerks to the Signet for alterations to the chimney vents. They had removed these during a previous alteration to the windows, to admit more light but now they wish to reinstate them in a block up the rear of the tenement.


1871    Occupied by George M. Paul WS [Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries]

1872    6 September: [Date of warrant, lodged on or about 23 August] Application to the Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court by Dundas & Wilson. They own all except the attic flat occupied by Mrs. Whitehead. Their chambers are in a tenement at present entered by the main door. This comprises a street flat, sunk flat below and the flat above which also has a right of entrance, at present built up, from the common stair No. 15 St Andrew Sq. They wish to connect the second [upper] flat with the one below so that the whole may be used as a business premises. This is to be done by inserting an inner stair to be of Riga wood, 9" by 6". The door from the second flat to the stair to be built up. Bounded by the Agra and United Bank on the north and Standard Life on the south. 


1877     Occupied by Ralph Dundas CS [FSAS] [Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries]

1892    26 February: [Date of warrant, lodged 13 February] Application to the Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court by Ralph, William and John Dundas and George Morrison Paul, all Clerks to the Signet to build an extension at the rear of 16 St Andrew Sq. to accommodate a walk-in safe, with clerks rooms above. Bounded on the north by the Agra Bank and on the south by the property of the Standard Life Assurance Co. Drawings signed by John Matheson & Sons, 29 South Queensferry St, February 1892 and September 1892 for deviation by the knocking through of a wall in the front room.





1907    Occupied by John T. Watson who was auditor of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society in this year [Transactions]

1922    Death of William Macmath [b. 1822] 'worked for Dundas & Wilson at 16 St Andrew Square for over fifty years'. He worked with Francis Child in the publication of Scottish ballads [Partners in the Ballad Cause]

1928    27 November: Death of Robert William Dundas of 16 St Andrew Square [Rootsweb]

1941    Occupied by Dundas & Wilson CS. [See Insurance record] Still there in 1957.




































Plan showing deviation to original request [connecting two front rooms], drawing dated September 1892.








Inventory and valuation of the office furnishings within no. 16 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, belonging to Messrs Dundas & Wilson, C S made for fire insurance purposes in 1941. Held at RCAHMS Print Room
Comments