Home‎ > ‎Historical Timelines‎ > ‎

Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh

1859-60

Work carried out at Royal Institution building. The scroll [rough] accounts are not tidy but various tradesmen were employed during period of reinstatement of Society of Antiquaries of Scotland [sic] in the Royal Institution building.: 1860 (for 1859) 9 Feb. John Taylor & Son, cabinet & upholstery work£106.9.19 Feb. D. R. Hay & Son, paint work £11.19.99 Feb. Bryson & Son clockmakers £1.14.0[NG1/35/1, Accounts p. 56] Then under 'Special Repairs':

1859

23 Nov. James Hamilton 'as architect'£25.4.0

23 Nov. D. R. Hay & Son, paint work £4.7.3

1860; 11 Jan C & J. Moxon, paint work £150.0.018 April ditto ditto £90.0.0 to a/c [NG1/35/1, Accounts p. 57]

 

Then under 'Society of Antiquaries: [this appears again pp. 75, 79]

 

1859; 23 Nov. Lithgow & Purdie paint work £125.2.4 23 Nov. James Hamilton'as architect' £62.2.0

 

1860; 18 July Jas. T.[?] Scott 'for Museum cases'£416.16.6[NG1/35/1, Accounts p. 67]

 

Further entry under Society of Antiquaries

 

185921 June J. & T. Scott for museum cases £478.15.0 do. extra work and gutta percha tubing £5.15.0; 21 June J. & T. Scott book cases in Council room £124.14.0 [NG1/35/1, Accounts p. 75]

1861

Royal Scottish Museum, first phase (center and east colonnade) built to designs of Robert Matheson, to 1865.

 

Statue of Burns by Flaxman entered the collection (removed from the Burns Monument on Calton Hill). Placed in the entrance hall at RI in 1881. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 32]

1871

Robert Rowand Anderson elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

 

Royal Scottish Museum, second phase (west colonnade and east wing) continued to designs of Robert Matheson, to 1875

1874

RRA submits competition design for Medical School, University of Edinburgh.

1878

RRA publishes his studies of French and Italian secular Gothic architecture.

1879

RRA commissioned to build Mount Stuart, Rothesay, for 3rd Marquess of Bute.

1881

7 July: B of M meeting. Complaint to the B of M regarding the lack of space to exhibit collection of SAS in RI building. Adjourned discussion till autumn. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 2-3]

 

6 October: B of M meeting. Estimates received from J. Moxon & Son and Bonnar & Carfrae [accepted] for painting the National Gallery and Royal Academy at the Mound. Rowand Anderson had suggested lining the walls of the gallery with canvas but this was rejected 'preferring that the wood work should remain as it was'. [Minutes 47 p. 10-11]

1882

6 April: B of M meeting. Mr. Anderson, architect to the Board presented a plan and report, dated 15 March, on the space in the RI building. He suggested excavation within the area of territory held by the Board and with the use of electricity, great additional space might be obtained. Adjourned discussion because it seemed likely the Board were going to be offered space in the new buildings about to be undertaken for the Museum of Science and Art. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 115-6]

 

5 October: B of M meeting. APPOINTMENT OF NEW MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF MANUFACTURES. The Marquess of Lothian, J. R. Findlay and Sir William Fettes Douglas PRSA, commissioned to serve as a members of the Board. Sir William had just been Knighted and retired as Curator of the National Gallery of Scotland on his appointment as President of the Royal Scottish Academy. The Marquess of Lothian was President and J. R. Findlay, Secretary of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland at this date. The Marquess held the office from 1876-1890 and Findlay had been a Councillor from 1874-8, Vice President from 1878-80 and again from 1888-1890. Findlay, Douglas and Lord Kinnear sworn in at this meeting. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 151]

 

7 December: B of M meeting.  Findlay present. Anonymous letter from a 'lover of art' addressed to Sir William Fettes Douglas, PRSA, as a member of the Board, offering £10,000 for the founding of a Scottish National Portrait Gallery. 'Such an undertaking could not probably be adequately set on foot under something like £40,000 or £50,000. If the matter is taken up by the Board, I am ready to contribute £10,000...with a like sum from the Board's own resources: other £10,000 might surely be raised by an appeal to the public, and, with some thirty thousand in hand, the Board would certainly be amply justified in soliciting a considerable grant in aid from Government. ...If the matter takes a practical shape in the hands of the Board within six months, I shall hand you the money for them.' Remitted to committee, 1 February 1883: Sir William, the Lord Justice General, Sir Arthur Halket and Lord Kinnear [Minutes vol. 47 p. 189-90, 240]

 

Letter dated 27 November read for SAS complaining about the condition of the furnishings in their library. Remitted to Mr. J. R. Findlay and Secretary with powers. Later decided that the Board were not responsible for cost of such repair  [although they paid on this occasion] [Minutes vol. 47 p. 191, 206]

1883

10 May: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Board consider the offer of £10,000 again and one further member of the Board allowed to know the identity of the donor. Conditions mentioned; '1st. That a like sum of £10,000 be provided by the Lords of Her Majesty's Treasury and 2nd., That practical action calculated to ensure the establishment of such a gallery either separate from or in connection with the national Gallery of Scotland be taken within six months from the date of his offer which is 23 April 1883'. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 269-70]

 

4 October: B of M meeting.  Letter read from the Treasury offering to match the donation with a further £10,000. They are glad to learn that the Board concurs in their determination to move the museum and library of the SAS to the new Museum of Science and Art. They inquire if the Board can from their own funds, fit out the rooms vacated by the SAS for the reception of portraits. The Secretary now had £20,000 in the bank, having received the anonymous donation. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 294-7]

 

1 November: B of M meeting. Marquess of Lothian in the Chair [2nd]. Findlay present. Report from a 'Special Committee' which looked into the investment of the money received. The understanding appears to be that the new portrait gallery will occupy the rooms vacated by the SAS when they move to the Museum of Science and Art. They are keen to exhibit portraits already in the collection and they suggest a temporary exhibition in two rooms in the eastern range of the National Gallery viz. south room and south octagon. No need to appoint a separate curator. The Board are strongly of the opinion that they should not make any contribution towards the cost of removing the Museum of Antiquities. This standpoint is a financial one in that they were promised a Parliamentary vote when they took responsibility for the collection in 1851. This never came but in 1858 when the transaction took place they were instructed by treasury minute to pay £300 to support the staff required. This was raised in 1873 to £410. [This is the root of their bad feeling towards the Antiquaries - which never went away!]

 

A Portrait Gallery Committee appointed: The Lord Justice General, Sir William Fettes Douglas, Sir Arthur Halket, Lord Kinnear, Lord Shand, Robert Dundas Esq., Sir George Warrender, Sir Noel Paton and J. R. Findlay Esq. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 320]

 

6 December: B of M meeting.  Findlay present. Reports on SAS and their thoughts on the proposal to move into the west wing of the Museum of Science and Art. 'The plans seem to have been prepared primarily with a view to the assumed requirements of the library of the Industrial Museum, the arrangements for the accommodation of the National Museum of Antiquities, with its library, meeting hall and offices having been made a secondary consideration. The part of the new building proposed...is situated in the front block, but the best portion of space for exhibition purposes - the first or principal floor of the block - has been reserved for the Industrial Museum and the library [museum?] of the Society of Antiquaries has been relegated to the second and upper floors - its large and important library being disposed of in a side room. ... But though the floor space proposed is somewhat larger, the wall space owing to its being broken up by windows, is greatly less and would not even accommodate the collection as it stands at present'. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 334-45]

 

Letter read from the anonymous donor expressing his disappointment at the delay of the Board in forming the Portrait Gallery and suggesting that a Curator should be appointed at once. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 349]

1884

10 January: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Board consider PG Committee report including a letter from the donor dated 28 November, suggesting strongly that they appoint a curator for portraits. Agreed at a salary of £150 rising to £200pa. Further letter from the donor dated 22 December offering £500 if they open a temporary exhibition of portraits in June 1884. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 358-9]

 

31 January: B of M meeting.  Findlay present. Letter from Treasury in response to theirs with regard to the accommodation proposed for SAS. The Antiquaries had requested two floors in the west wing but the Industrial Museum insist they need more space. The Treasury asked all parties to consider having less space than they demand. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 391-2]

 

Letter read from J. R. Findlay as Secretary of the SAS, pointing out a recent donation of coins and antiquities presented by Lady Ruthven and that the SAS had no space to display them. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 395-6]

 

7 February: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from Treasury read. They agree to appointment of Curator for portraits and to a summer exhibition of portraits. £500 cost to come from the anonymous donation and admission charges. The Board pass on the refusal of the SAS to move into the new Industrial Museum to the Treasury but resolved that such a move should go ahead. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 398-400]

 

22 February: B of M meeting. John M. Gray appointed Curator of the SNPG at £150 rising by £5pa. to £200. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 404-5]

 

6 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from Treasury read, agreeing with the Board that the SAS should be removed and that work to the architectural plans for the west wing of the Industrial Museum should proceed. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 407]

 

20 May: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from anonymous donor read, in which he offered a further £15,000 towards the erection of a building for the SNPG, upon certain conditions (not explained here). [Minutes vol. 47 p. 424]

 

29 May: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Offer from anonymous donor raised to £20,000, under certain conditions (not explained here) [Minutes vol. 47 p. 426-7]

 

Letter from SAS read in which they declined the offer of accommodation in the new Museum and would remain in their present rooms in the RI building. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 427]

 

5 June: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Board consider the further offers of money. They remitted to the PG Committee 'to ascertain the valuation of a site which had been suggested and if possible, obtain the refusal of the said site'. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 436]

 

11 June: B of M meeting. Board consider the further offers of money. Sent a statement to the Treasury in following terms: their anonymous donor has now proposed an additional sum of £20,000 'for the purpose of building or acquiring premises for the accommodation both' the SNPG and the museum of the SAS. 'The offer is made with the desire to provide a separate building for the portrait gallery, and also under the impression that his former gift has indirectly had the effect of prejudicing the Society of Antiquaries as the custodiers of the Museum of Antiquities, and with a desire that they should be provided with better accommodation than they are to obtain in the new wing of the Industrial Museum, Edinburgh.' The conditions were that some practical action to carry out the scheme should be taken before 1 September next and that no part of the £20,000 should be spent on purchasing a site. The Board refer to a possible site 'not far removed from the Royal Institution' which 'has recently come onto the market' It is 262 by 70 ft. 'The building would stand quite isolated, and not in contact with any other buildings, having access from two wide streets and important thoroughfares on the north and east, and from a lane on the south. The light is excellent from all sides.' They suggest that a building could be erected on the site for no more than the £20,000 offered. The site could be purchased for £7,500 and they ask the Treasury to find £5,000 of this. [Minutes vol. 47 p. 440-44]

 

17 July: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from Treasury read, in which they agree to seek a Parliamentary vote for the £5,000 required to purchase the site. They insist that the building should not exceed the £20,000 offered. Letter from the donor dated 15 July, 'I entirely approve of the arrangement for procuring the necessary accommodation for the National Portrait Gallery and the Society of Antiquaries...' He states that they can have the £20,000 as soon as the vote for £5,000 is passed in the Commons. He will do so on the understanding that only the principal sum will be used for the building. The interest should be used to rent temporary accommodation and purchase portraits. A further letter from the donor dated 16 July. 'I had hoped that my letter of yesterday would have sufficed as an expression of my views, but as you urge further explanation, I comply at what you may deem undue length for I feel I cannot do so very shortly'.  He explains that his conditions were 'similarly intended to operate towards the immediate opening of the gallery to the public, however imperfect the collection at first may be.... It was in the hope that the High School [High School Yards] might be acquired that my offer was augmented by one fourth; and that arrangement if it were even yet attainable, would be greatly preferable to the one proposed; though I have acquiesced in the latter. If however the present plan proceeds, I shall expect of the Board that they shall take care that the accommodation to be provided for the two institutions shall be adequate for each, and that neither shall interfere with the other. They might have a common entrance, but otherwise they should be practically separate structures i.e. they ought not in any way to intersect each other. If the other site does not admit of this it must be extended. Further, I may here say that I deprecate any expenditure in ornamentation of the building. A perfectly satisfactory effect may be produced by simple lines and fair proportions in an erection for such a purpose without costly columns or encrustations and the architect of the Board is eminently competent to deal with such as problem. If the City wishes an addition to its ornate building, let the City pay for the ornamentation'. The NG committee given powers to consult Mr. Rowand Anderson. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 1-5]

 

2 September: B of M meeting. Letter from Treasury dated 18 July read. It agreed that the cost of fitting out the new building for the SAS should be included in estimates. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 8-9]

 

Reported that the vote of £5,000 had been granted [Minutes vol. 48 p. 9]

 

No reply had been received after an offer for the property in Queen Street made on 19 July. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 10]

 

Letter from donor in which he asked that Sir William Fettes Douglas should promise to return the £20,000 if requested. The donor would not hand over the money until the site for the gallery had been purchased. The Board postponed consideration of opening a temporary gallery. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 11]

 

16 September: B of M meeting. Two letters from donor dated 5 and 13 September read. He agreed to pay the £20,000 on condition that it should be re-paid if the had not secured a site by 1 January next. Agreed. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 13-14] Letter read from James Haldane dated 16 September. He agreed to the sale of the land in Queen Street on behalf of the proprietors of no's 24-27 and 29 St. Andrew Square, who owned the land. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 14-16]

 

9 October: B of M meeting.  Plans and estimates submitted by the RRA for a temporary building on the land in Queen Street for an exhibition of portraits. Consideration postponed. The £20,000 has been received. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 27-8]

 

24 October: B of M meeting. Marquess of Lothian present [3rd]. Findlay present. Sketch plans by RRA for the Portrait Gallery and Museum received by the Board. His report dated 24 October. He comments on the size of the plot and situation being favourable and it 'enables me to make long well lighted rooms'. In summary he proposes a main entrance in Queen Street into a vestibule 25 x 13 ft and beyond this a court 44ft sq. two floors in height. On right and left of vestibule, two lavatories. Right and left of the central court along Queen street front, two galleries 82 x 25ft. At each end of the building, small rooms as offices for curators etc. The height of the front rooms determined by the uses to which he thinks they may be put, i.e. he cites the height of crosses and other stone monuments. The rooms behind and the ends do not need this height so he suggests lower heights (a mezzanine in effect). The rooms on the first floor are the same as described except that the rooms at the front and rear are the same height and a long room 44 x 13ft is obtained over the vestibule and lavatories. The top floor is a repetition of the floor below but is entirely lit from the roof and as the hall is not carried up, a large room of 60 x 44ft is obtained. 'The broken outline of the building has been necessitated by the desirability of having a wider footpath on the Queen Street side than on the south... also by the importance of securing as good a light as possible in the event of the ground on the other side of the lane being built on'. Cellars are provided in the sunk basement on the lane side. 'The recessing of the building also allows the greater part of it to be protected by railing'. 'In clothing this building with its architectural character I have, after much consideration, adopted the secular architecture of the latter half of the 13th century as the style that I feel readily lends itself to the expression of the purpose of the building, and the one whereby I can secure the greatest amount of light to those rooms that must be lighted from the side. The large arched opening on the ground floor is the best form to use to obtain the maximum surface of glass. These large openings will be protected by iron rolling shutters. The windows lighting the first floor are placed so close to one another that they form a continuous window the entire length of the room. This secures the proper illumination of the opposite wall. The adoption of this style of architecture has led me to introduce a number of niches capable of containing full sized statues. It cannot be said that sculptors in Scotland find here that encouragement of their art....' He had visited galleries in London and the new ones in Newcastle and Liverpool and the one then building in Birmingham. He points out that the complete building cannot be constructed for £20,000 and he makes three proposals, all for partial construction:                            1. Central block, two stairs, galleries and small rooms to the east £19,184                       2. ---------------ditto-----------, front gallery east and west £18, 329                                     3. ---------------ditto-----------, galleries east and west at SE £21,145                                   He suggests, with reasons, option 1. The matter of a temporary gallery, architect's letter with estimates, was again postponed. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 33-38]

 

6 November: B of M meeting. Findlay present. The plans remitted to the PG Committee - they could not agree on the comparative merits and a suggestion had been made for a change in the character of the eastern and western elevations. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 39-40]

 

12 November: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Consideration of temporary building postponed again. Suggestion had been made to exhibit portraits in RSA but this rejected. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 45]

 

4 December: B of M meeting. Findlay in the Chair. Considered the architect's letter with revised plan and an estimate for the temporary building by Mr. Shillinglaw, reduced to £325. Postponed again. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 56]

 

16 December: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Printed report by the Plans Committee [PG Committee?] on the new SNPG presented (tipped in here).  It quotes the letter from the donor of 16 July, read to the Board on 17 July. It adds material not transcribed into the minutes there and although in quotes, is clearly not entirely in the donor's words - 'He insists that the available space shall be allocated in equal proportion'; and adds, 'of course he has no right to dictate at all, but the Board must bear in mind, that it was primarily for a Portrait Gallery that the money was offered**** and he wishes it to be a big place with large halls, even though they should be empty, or nearly so, for years'. The printed report quotes from the letter from the donor read to the PG Committee on 31 October 'I conceive that I make a great concession to the wishes and difficulties of the Board when I consent that in the new building the Antiquaries should have accommodation equal to that devoted to the Portrait Gallery; if any preference is to be given in point of appearance, accommodation, or otherwise to either institution, it should surely be to that for which the building was primarily intended. Under all circumstances, I think I am really entitled to insist also that the Portrait Gallery should be kept by itself, so to speak, as to entrances, elevations and other arrangements, so distinctly as to avoid all possibility of its being confounded in the mind or eye of the public, with any other institution accommodated in the same building'. With regard to the architect's first proposals the Committee cannot accept them because: Plan No. 1 does not fulfil the desire of the donor for separateness, 'from basement to roof'. Plan 2 does not provide enough accommodation for the SAS. Plan 3 cannot be erected for the sum available. They recommend to the Board the (new?) plan attached to this report. They point out that everything to the east of the eastern wall of the 'central block' including the separate staircase, from basement to roof, is for the Antiquaries and similarly to the west for the SNPG. The only common feature is the entrance hall. In a 'verbal communication' from the donor, through Sir William Fettes Douglas he stated that he was happy with the proposal 'but at the same time he indicated his wish that the section of the building to the west of the central block should be extended if possible 20 feet further to the west and as he understood that this could be accomplished for the sum of £1,500, he offered to place the sum of £1,000 at the disposal of the Board for this purpose' provided that the Board would add the £500 they had used to fund the Loan exhibition of Scottish portraits in 1884. Board agreed to all of this and instructed the architect to prepare working plans. Also agreed to go ahead with the temporary building to cost £325. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 59-63]

1885

2 January: Application to the Dean of Guild Court by A. W. Inglis on behalf of the Board of Manufactures, for permission to build. Lodged 2 January 1885.  To erect a temporary gallery on the eastern portion of a piece of ground fronting Queen Street, east end, utilizing as far as possible the existing boundary walls on the north, south and east of said piece of ground. A temporary building of brick, the walls to be lined with wood and the roof to be slated. ...heating apparatus at the south west corner. Warrant granted 8 January. 1 sheet drawings with plan, elevation and sections and a plan showing how it relates to the position of the planned gallery. Signed Wardrop Anderson & Browne. Dated 19 December 1884.

 

8 January: B of M meeting. Marquess of Lothian present. [4th] Rowand Anderson, (for the second time) presents examples of china and earthenware, for the use of students in the School of Art. Letter from J. R. Findlay, Secretary SAS, approving of the plans now accepted. He offered numerous suggestions [not recorded here but see 7 July 1887] The Board offered a particular vote of thanks to 'one whom they must unfortunately still designate as the anonymous donor'. Donation of £1,000 received The temporary building had been sanctioned by the Dean of Guild Court on 8 January. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 70-73]

 

5 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Legal team report purchase of the site. Plans for the new galleries will be ready in a few days and the architect RRA is about to leave Edinburgh at the end of March, for six weeks holiday. PG Committee to proceed to specification and estimates. The temporary gallery is almost complete. The PGC suggest it should open with an exhibition of portraits in May [it opened on 9th, p. 133]. Should be heated day and night. No gas to be used and no evening exhibitions. To be free except for two days when 6d should be charged. Two attendants should be appointed. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 113-7]

 

2 April: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Board decided on SNPG as title. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 123]

 

4 June: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letters from donor, one of which returned a sum of £77.4.11 and suggested an honorarium of 30-40 Guineas from this should be given to the curator of the portrait gallery 'in recognition of his exceptional labour in the institution of the new gallery scheme' and the remainder be used to purchase books of reference for the new gallery. He was given 'the handsome sum' of £42 in July (p. 162). First issue of the catalogue of portraits in the temporary gallery laid on the table. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 143-4]

 

19 June: B of M meeting. Estimates have been received for all the works associated with the new gallery and the lowest recorded here. Mason: Messrs. W & J Kirkwood £14, 568 (deducting 100 for 'Hailes founds', 500 for 'columns under girders' and 400 for 'contingencies'). Carpenter: R. Shillinglaw £3.546 (deducting 100 'for difference between yellow pine and redwood lining' and 200 for 'contingencies'). Iron work: Messrs. R. P. Bell & Son £1,194. Slater work: R. Graham £136. Plaster work: William Baird £214. Plumber work: John White £710 Glazier work: Robert Ross £535 TOTAL £19, 603. Estimate for mason work is for stone from Corsehill, Dumfries-shire to be used throughout the building inside and out. The Committee consider the warm colour of the stone is admirably adapted for a building situated where the new gallery will be viz. with the front elevation facing north. The architect stated that the stone had been found to stand the atmosphere of London without injury. A specimen was laid on the table. Following has been added to estimate: For railings to protect the building £200 Architect's fees 5% of £20,000, £1,000. Surveyor's fees £196 Clerk of Works fees £200 The Committee have not included any amounts for heating, lighting or painting as these should fall under fittings and furnishings and not part of the building. The Committee then point out the obligations of the Board. They have no obligation to fit out the building for the SAS. Having spent £2,500 of their money to acquire the site, they think it reasonable to approach the Treasury for money to fit out the gallery. They will also have to re-fit the rooms at the RI after the SAS leaves. RRA who was present suggested that the cost of the mason work might be reduced by around £5-600 by using coursed rubble for the north facade instead of ashlar. He was asked if the wall dividing the north and south galleries on the first floor might be pierced in the same way as that on the ground floor and if this would cost any additional sum. He said in his opinion it would not. Board gave go ahead to sign contracts on the basis of using coursed rubble instead of ashlar on the north facade and piercing the wall between the galleries on the first floor with arches. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 150-5]

 

2 July: Application to the Dean of Guild Court by A. W. Inglis on behalf of the Board of Manufactures, for permission to build. 'to be constructed of stone, brick and mortar'.... 'the passages and stairs to be constructed of iron, stone & cement and to be fire proof'. Warrant granted 9 July. 8 sheets drawings.

 

9 July: B of M meeting. Secretary reported that contracts had been signed. There was a difference in cost for the mason work occasioned by their having estimated for a different stone to that eventually chosen. The figure had been £14,712. The glazier refused to carry out the work for the figure tendered and they approached the second cheapest, Messrs. Coutts & Cameron at £570. Letters dated 2 and 9 July from the architect read, with regard to the tender for ironwork. He was unhappy with the metal Messrs. Bell & sons had chosen. They considered the next lowest tender, from W. & J. Kirkwood (the masons) at £1,444. The architect stated that he could reduce the amount by £50 without compromising the stability of the work. The tender accepted. Intimated that the Dean of Guild Court had granted a warrant to build. Mr. Shillinglaw had been paid £300 to account, for the temporary building on an architect's certificate dated 1 July. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 162-5]

 

8 October: B of M meeting. SECRETARY FOR SCOTLAND ACT comes into force. All communications from the Board to the Treasury must now go through the Secretary [of State] for Scotland. Letter dated 8 October from RRA read. He presented the Board with 30 plaster casts of early Italian Renaissance work used by him at the new University buildings, also a bowl and platter of Moorish pottery and a piece of old silk from Tangiers in Morocco. Accepted for the art school. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 177] New contracts for glazier and ironwork as set out above, signed. RRA paid £500 to account for fees. Suggested that a group of portraits from the SAS Museum be hung in the Portrait Gallery from December. Agreed. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 181-2]

 

Royal Scottish Museum, third phase (west wing) continued to designs of Robert Matheson and W. W. Robertson, to 1889

1886

7 January: B of M meeting. Findlay present.  £4,000 paid as installment for building works. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 216]

 

26 February: B of M meeting. Letters from the donor dated [24] February and 25 February read. 'I am very much disappointed on an examination of the new building in Queen Street to find that the western section does not correspond in structure with the eastern section. The central division wall of the latter being pierced with lofty archways, while the corresponding division in the western section is built of solid stone without openings of any kind. It has all along been one of my chief stipulations.... that while providing as far as possible for the requirements of the Society of Antiquaries.[,?] The portion of the building appropriated to the National Portrait Gallery should not be inferior to the other in accommodation or architecturally'. He insists that steps be taken to remedy the problem and if necessary, he will pay for the re-building costs. Second letter dated 25 February 'Since I wrote to you yesterday it has occurred to me that it might facilitate arrangements and save expence of temporary walls if the completion of the western section of the building could be undertaken now; that is to say, if the saloons to the south in this section were now to be completed on the same style and fashion as those of the eastern or Antiquarian section. To accomplish this and remodel the stone wall, as indicated in my letter of yesterday, I shall place at the disposal of the Board £2,500. This sum should suffice for these purposes, anything over being laid aside for future building operations' Offer to remain confidential. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 258-9]

 

4 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from RRA with regard to the extra expence incurred as a result of defective information on the drains from the Burgh engineer. He had suggested that the City defray the additional cost but they refused. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 265-6] Also raised question of heating the building. RRA suggested low-pressure steam heating rather than hot water apparatus. Less risk of damage through leakage. Board agreed. Remit to Building Committee regarding changed proposed by donor. RRA had written to say that he believed the additional cost would be £450 to introduce the arches and' the additional block of building' would be not less than £3,000 - £3,500 in all. This encouraged a letter from the donor dated 4 March, 'I am somewhat surprised and disappointed at the amount at the amount of the architect's estimate for the alterations and completion of the NPG building, it seems to me excessive in proportion to that portion of the work. The more intricate and elaborate portion already contracted for: that is presuming that the new portion be taken at the same rates. I should hope therefore that when exact estimates are obtained, it may be found that the work can be executed for a sum somewhat less in excess of that which I have offered, and when the Board is able to let me know the exact amount I shall endeavour to meet their views'. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 267-8]

 

1 April: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Estimates received for alterations and completion 'and also suggested change in character of the south windows on the first floor' [marginal note]. Estimate 1. Estimate for taking down and rebuilding wall £400 Brick wall screen £50 Architect's and other fees £40 Wooden screens for pictures £50 Total £540 Less architect's estimated deduction £100 Total £440 Estimate 2. Cost of erecting new block as per existing plan £3,088 Taking down wall etc. £400 Wooden screens for pictures £100 Change in back windows £1007½ % Architect's fees £268 Total £3,956           This elicited a letter from the donor dated March 1886, 'I do not quite understand how the sum of £400 - which in any case seems to me remarkably high - should be repeated without modification in the second estimate. The item of £100 for wooden screens may very well stand oven in the meantime, as there will certainly for a considerable time be ample wall space without these. If this item is omitted and the £400 somewhat reduced, the amount of the fees will be proportionally less, and perhaps the architect on reconsideration may see his way - as he did formerly, to other economies. If the affair can be arranged in this way, I shall give £3,500...  to carry out the work and shall be prepared to hand over the money at Whitsunday next'. The architect agreed to find savings of £100 on the first and £250 on the second estimate making it £3,580. Letter from the donor dated 1 April in which he hoped the Board would be able to find the 'small additional sum' of £80. The architect drew attention to the necessity of changing the back windows on the first floor of the southern galleries. 'This had arisen in consequence of a departure from the original design for the walls dividing the northern and southern galleries on the first floor, which it was now intended should be pierced by a series of arched openings, similar to those on the ground floor. Drawings of the windows as originally designed and as proposed to be altered, were presented, together with the architect's estimate... £100 for each wing'. The secretary proposed deducting this additional cost from the alterations proposed by the donor, thus reducing the overall figure to £3,480 and thus under his stipulation. Estimate 2 was accepted subject to the architect's estimated savings and deductions. They also sanctioned the proposed changes to the back windows in both wings. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 279-82]

 

7 April: Payment to Moxon & Carfrae for paint work in the temporary gallery, per architect's certificate of 31 March. [GD1/31/1, SNPG accounts p. 109]

 

13 May: B of M meeting. Marquess of Lothian present. [5th]  £3,500 received from the donor. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 294]

 

Contracts for supplementary work signed; Mason: Messrs. W & J Kirkwood £1820.16.11 Iron work: ditto £386.16.6. Joiner work: R. Shillinglaw £638.7.11 Plumber work: John White £129.18.5 Slater work: R. Graham £5.11 Plaster work: William Baird £2s.8.3 Glazier work: Coutts & Cameron £83,13.0 Total £3.088.12.0 [Minutes vol. 48 p. 299]

 

14 October: B of M meeting. Letter from SAS dated 6 July. Setting out their requirements for internal fittings in their galleries. 1. A strong room. 2. Office to carry on the business of the Museum. 3. Workshop. 4. Meeting room. 5. Stock room with cabinets with sliding trays for the woodcuts and walls lined with shelving for stock of publications. This room could be in the basement as long as it was dry. Fitting of the library will be suggested when work is further advanced. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 324-6]

 

9 December: B of M meeting. Findlay present. The Board remitted all business related to the SNPG to the PG Committee and to report. Also that all ordinary business should be handled by them and their minutes reported to the Board.

 

16 December: PG Committee meeting. Findlay present. [This is the first surviving, recorded minute of this Committee, in the Minute book of the Board] 1. The architect's statement of works not included in estimates. Remitted to the Building Committee [whose minutes appear not to survive] 2. Drawing of a niche on the front elevation, by RRA presented. Read letter from RRA dated 9 April 1886 suggesting the Board might consider drawing up a list of persons worthy of representation. He submitted a list he had drawn up. [no further details here] 3. Consideration of the dado in the upper floor of the PG. Read letter dated 9 April from RRA pressing for an immediate settlement of this matter. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 358-9]

1887

MARQUESS OF LOTHIAN BECOMES SECRETARY [OF STATE] FOR SCOTLAND

 

6 January: B of M meeting. Undated latter from donor read. 'That portion of the building intended for the accommodation of the SNPG and SAS contracted for some time ago, being now well advanced, it is natural to desire the completion of the design, although the undertaking has assumed dimensions which I did not originally contemplate, I should still endeavour, with the co-operation of the Board, to supply the means for finishing the building. I object strongly however to the architect's design for the two transverse wings or ends of the building, in so far as these portions assume a tower like construction involving interior walls of heavy masonry. Such a construction is chiefly objectionable as sacrificing valuable internal space to permanent and irremovable divisions which might subsequently be found inconvenient and obstructive. The purpose of the whole building being to supply exhibition space, open transverse saloons, unbroken by interior walls of masonry, surely recommend themselves as securing this end without precluding such an arrangement for subsequent internal division as experience may dictate. Further, were the building to be completed at the west as now designed, it would touch the eastern line of the open space now existing behind the buildings of No. -- St. David St. On the preservation of this space, open and un-built upon, the NPG would be dependent on the west side for light and isolation. It is therefore imperative that the Board should acquire at least a perpetual servitude even on this area. I may be permitted to point out that unless this is done, the Board will fail to fulfil one of the most important conditions on which the additional sums were given for the building. If the Board should see its way to acquire from such funds as may be at its command, this important servitude: and to modify the architect's plans as suggested, & will kindly obtain revised plans, with estimates of the cost of their execution, I shall, as I have said, endeavour to supply the means of carrying them out'. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 354-6]

 

3 February: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Secretary reported a meeting with Mr. Melville, proprietor of land on west end of gallery and he was disinclined to sell it at a fair value. He had had it valued at £280-300 but the owner would not accept this.

 

Read a letter from the donor, 'As to the difficulty of acquiring a servitude over the area at west end of the NPG seems to be at present almost insuperable, I am induced to ask if the Board could so revise their plans as to secure the indispensable isolation independent of that area; keeping in view always my former stipulations as to the character of the proposed additions'. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 395-6]

 

25 May: B of M meeting. Estimates presented for erecting the east and west wings. RRA estimated £12,000 but this could be reduced by the following deductions; Cost of parapet£411 Heating £250 Doors for safes £150 Iron railings and pavement £130 giving a Total of £11,059 [Minutes vol. 48 p. 438]

 

7 July: B of M meeting. Letter from the donor dated 6 July with a Trust Deed. He recounts the history of his donations amounting to £35,000 'towards (1) the establishment of a National Scottish Portrait Gallery and also (2) towards providing accommodation for the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland and the National Museum of Antiquities', £10,000 of that sum having been set aside by the Board for the endowment of the Portrait Gallery. The remainder had proved to be insufficient to complete the building. He has offered to pay for the completion of the building with a few conditions viz. that it will not exceed £12,000, that he can make the payments at three month intervals payable three months after the contractors have begun work. If the sum of £12,000 is found to be insufficient then the architect will work with me and the Board to amend the plans to bring it within this amount.

 

Read letter from J. R. Findlay as Secretary SAS enclosing an extract of their Minutes for 7 June 1887. 'The Council having carefully considered the sketch plans of the new wing to be added to the new buildings in Queen Street, beg respectfully to suggest that it is of great importance that the space to be added on the ground floor and first floor should form and extension of the length of the galleries on these floors, as recommended in the Council's letter to the Board of 29 December 1884. They anticipate no difficulty in giving effect to this arrangement, as it had been provided for in the Council's suggestion that the terminal wall (shown in the original plans) should be treated in a similar manner to the centre wall, that is, constructed with temporary closed archways, which could be opened out when the unbuilt space beyond it was taken into the building. The advantages of diminishing the cost of attendance and supervision and contributing to the better arrangement of the cases on one general system, as well as to the free diffusion of light, are as obvious in this case as they were in the case of opening up the centre wall by archways, formerly recommended and subsequently carried out. Other requirements will be amply provided for in the space to be added on the upper floor, which instead of being made into two galleries by open archways, should be divided into four rooms, for the following purposes as suggested in the Council's letter to the Board of 6 July 1886:- viz. 1. A coin room, with the circular room opening off it in the front turret provided with double iron door and a stone or concrete roof and floor for a coin safe. 2. A Council and Committee room. 3. A room for the Chief officer 4. A workroom. As the gold ornaments and other objects which require to be removed from the cases for security overnight will be arranged on the first floor, the north turret room on this floor, like that above it, should be made a strong room, with stone or concrete floor and roof, and double iron door'.

 

Read a letter from the Town Clerk dated 1 July in which the City were prepared to bear the cost of watching the new building and for the cost of laying a new pavement in Queen Street.

 

Read a letter dated 24 June to Secretary for Scotland...stating the position of the Board in regard to the SNPG and the SAS Museum. 'I have been directed by the Board... to state... that the new galleries which are erecting in Queen Street...are now so far advanced towards completion that it becomes necessary to consider the arrangements for interior fittings and furnishings.' It goes on to summarise the donations made etc. then, ' In consequence however of the donor having expressed very decided views in regard to the amount of space in the new building which he considered should be allocated to National Portrait Gallery and the Museum of Antiquities respectively; viz. that the Museum should not have more accommodation than the Portrait Gallery, the Board were unable to give effect to the donor's desires, with the sum of money at their disposal £20,000, that sum being insufficient to enable the Board to give to the Museum the amount of space required for it, and at the same time to provide equal space for the Portrait Gallery in the building. In this difficulty the donor offered to present the additional sum of £1,000 upon condition that the Board would ad to it the sum of £500 which he, the donor, had previously given as a guarantee to cover any loss which might be incurred in connection with the loan exhibition of Scottish national portraits in 1884, and which sum had not been required for that purpose.

These matters having been satisfactorily arranged between the Board and the donor, the erection of the new Galleries was commenced in July 1885. During the progress of the work the donor in February 1886 intimated to the Board that he thought from what he could judge of the building as it then stood that the Portrait Gallery portion of the building was architecturally inferior in point of appearance in the interior to that of the Museum portion. He also at the same time expressed his desire to complete a part of the design on the PG side of the building which the Board had not contemplated erecting in the first instance. To accomplish this object the donor presented to the Board the additional sum of £3,500.' Then goes on to explain that the wings have not been build but that the donor has offered the money to complete the design. 'As regards the latter, there is a large amount of space in the portion already built, which will not be required for many years for the accommodation of the Portrait Gallery. The donor has however intimated to the Board that he has no objections to the PG portion of the new buildings being utilised by the Board for any public purpose which the Board may consider suitable, as long as it is not required for the PG but upon the distinct understanding that any such occupation is to be temporary and not to interfere with the primary object of the building viz. a National Portrait Gallery for Scotland and that the whole building is to be the exclusive property of thew Board and to be under their sole control and administration.

As regards the former (the Museum) the Board are satisfied that it would undoubtedly be a great advantage to have that portion of the building completed at once, as, although the entire space which would then be available might possibly not be required in the first instance, the arrangements connected with the fitting up and furnishing of the interior of the Museum would be much more efficiently and economically carried out than if the building remained in its present unfinished condition without the additional wing.... The Board are now awaiting the final instructions of the donor in regard to the preparation of working plans and specifications for the completion of the buildings'.

The remainder of the letter is related to the Board's financial obligations in relation to the Gallery and Museum. They point out that the Museum fittings must be paid for from a Treasury vote and claim that the running cost should come from the same source. They suggest a vote of £1500 for the cost of 'fitting  &c. for the Museum' [which is to include installing the steam powered heating for the Museum at £1,200?]. [Minutes vol. 48 p. 458-60 and p. 460-74]

 

8 November: Report by W. W. Robertson [architect to the Board of Works in Scotland] to the Treasury Secretary[?]. 'I beg to report that I have examined the plans of this building and have seen Mr. Inglis, the Sec of the Board of manufactures; I have also had several interviews wit the architect and I have discussed with him in detail the arrangement of the fittings etc. and their probable cost. The Museum fittings, cases and furniture would I estimate cost £3,200. This is on the understanding that the cases & fittings in the present Museum would be utilised, and the amount named includes a sum for removal and adaptation of these fittings. This remark however does not apply to the fixed fittings in the present library.... the sum stated above therefore provides for new book cases in the library'. He estimates £2,050 for painting, heating, lighting and a fire hydrant. 'If the electric light were to be adopted the estimate should be increased by £250'. He quotes £550 for a hydraulic lift as he thinks such a device would be necessary and £700 for the removal of the Museum. [NAS, MW5/94, Treasury Ref. 11639/87]

 

1 December: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Report of the Building Committee read. They had under consideration various remits from the Board. They had given instructions to the architect to ascertain the costs of interior fittings and furnishings and of removing the Museum of Antiquities - to be paid for by vote of Parliament. Cost as follows:

Ground floor Vestibule £ 32.10.0 Lavatory £ 20.0.0 Hall £ 9.0.0 Large Museums£ 293.10.0 Small Museums £ 76.0.0

Entresol floor, east wing Curator's private room £ 77.6.0 Curator's work room £ 89.4.0 First Floor Museums 674.8.0 Small Museums£ 232.16.0

Second Floor Museums £ 50.8.0 Secretaries Room £ 46.6.0 Council Room £67.16.0 Note: It is proposed to remove all furniture & cases from present room to new building and the cost of adapting them to their new position will be about £300 Library £ 674.10.0

Generally. Window blinds Hydraulic lift Water meter for ditto £ 605 [all] Painting Electric Lighting Heating Fire Hydrants & hose Wrought iron lamps Builder's work £ 2,429 [all] Add for removal of objects to new building £ 600 Add 5% for contingencies on all work £ 313 Total £6,590.14.0 Note: if gas is used instead of Electric lighting the cost of lighting the Museum would be reduced by £ 400. 'The Committee...have given due attention to the stipulation of the donor as to the isolation of the buildings when completed and they understand that the sketch plans for the new wings have been approved of by the donor' They have taken into account the requirements of the SAS in relation to their wing and they have asked the architect to prepared plans and working drawings. These have been approved of by the Committee and estimates sought.

1888

2 February: B of M meeting. Findlay present. No response as yet from Treasury of grant for fittings and furnishings.  Letter from RRA dated 6 [?] February 1888. He had submitted his plans to the contractors for estimates and had found these greatly higher than he expected. 'In order to test the accuracy of these estimates I invited tenders from others in Edinburgh and Glasgow, intimating that both ends might be built at once, with the result that the total amount was considerably reduced.' He then went back to the first contractors and suggested that both ends might be built at the same time and they came back with lower tenders. The estimates are still higher than expected and he puts this down to materials and labour being more expensive since the first part of the building was executed. 'I do not think it would be possible to leave the upper part of the corner pinnacles without being carved at the time they are built. It would be possible without going to great expence, to do it afterwards. I hope the donor may see his way to authorise this and also the parapet. The buildings want this latter feature very much. Allowances for contingencies have been deducted but £500 should be allowed for this.

 

Statement of cost of east and west wings. Recommended tender £ 14,672.4.0 Deductions without altering design can be made to  £ 1,195.0.0 Deduction if carving is left out £ 700 By leaving out cellars, deduction of  £ 775 leaving Total £ 12,002.4.0 Proportion of heating, lighting, painting £ 192.10.0 Architects/surveyor's fees @7.5% £ 915.0.0 By omitting parapets saving £ 1,025 leaving Total £ 12,084.14.0 If work is carried out as designed with carvings at top of corner pinnacles and parapet but leaving out items 1 & 3 [not specified here] Total cost will be £ 12,702.4 Proportion of heating, lighting, painting £ 192.10.0 Architects/surveyor's fees @7.5% £ 967.0.0 leaving Total £ 13,861.14.0 [Minutes vol. 49 p. 39-42]

 

17 February: B of M meeting. Sir William Fettes Douglas very ill so Inglis, Lord Justice General acted as intermediary. Letter from the donor dated 14 February, where he has handed over an additional £2,000 to complete the buildings. The other £12,000 will be by installments as previously agreed. Certain deductions are agreed, the £ 1,195 'without altering the design' noted above also omitting the cellars, saving £775 and a special condition that the parapet will not be executed on the rear of the building, saving £341.13.4. Total now £ 13,480.0.8. Money available £14,000 leaving £520 as a margin. Architect directed to submit plans to Dean of Guild Court and remitted to building committee to get contracts signed. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 47-9]

 

1 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. The architect reported that the contractors were going to make a claim against the Board for losses incurred while waiting for a Treasury response on the fittings, particularly the heating system. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 69-70]

 

12 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from Treasury dated 7 March read. They agree to provide £1,500 being part of the sum of £3,200 required for the fittings etc. for the Museum. They list those expences they consider to be part of the fabric of the building as painting, heating, lighting and fire appliances, hydraulic lift and meter. [i.e. these should not be paid for by the Treasury] The refuse to provide £500pa for gallery purchases as this would only discourage donations and they also refuse to do more than pay for extra staff required in the new building. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 74-6]

 

5 April: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Secretary reported that at an informal meeting of the PG Building Committee on the 4 April, at which J. R. Findlay attended, the question of heating the new galleries was raised. Mr. Findlay had objected to the proposed position of the radiators in the first floor of the Museum portion. Several alterations were also suggested in relation to the heating in the Gallery. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 93-4]

 

10 May: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Mr. Phipson the heating engineer had been consulted about the changes reported [not specified] on 5 April and he saw no difficulty in making these.

 

Contracts had been signed for construction of wings. W. & J. Kirkwood mason work £ 11,479.10.11 R. Shillinglaw & Son carpentry £ 2,003.19.7 W. & J. Kirkwood iron work £ 354.12.8 W. Barton & Sons plumber work £ 429.0.0 Coutts & Cameron glazier work £ 165.3.6 W. Lennox & Son plaster work £ 175.0.0 Robert Graham slater work £ 65.8.6 Total £ 12,323.19.7 Plus proportion of heating etc £ 192.10.0 Architect's/Surveyors/Clerk of Works £ 966.5.5 Total £ 13,482.15.0 [Minutes vol. 49 p. 119-20]

 

10 May: B of M meeting. Report on the removal of the portraits from the temporary gallery to rooms in the University Medical School. Opened to public on 23 April. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 122]

 

5 July: B of M meeting. The architect reported that he had sold the stove and chimney used to heat the temporary gallery for £4.10.0 and this money had been placed in the building fund.

 

Preliminary estimate given in for heating arrangements. Estimates were for laying the tracks for the steam pipes in concrete and wood and fitting up the boiler. W. & J. Kirkwood, builders Mr. Phipson, heating engineer £ 166 R. Shillinglaw & Son, joiners £ 89 for heating apparatus for entire building incl. wings £1,646

Secretary submitted to the Board that it might be possible 'to sanction the fitting up of the boiler and the construction of the pipe channels and the laying of the pipes in the main portion of the building already built; he stated that if the Board could see their way to authorise this to be done now, the works connected with the erection of the Galleries, which had been for some time at a practical standstill, could then be gone on with'. The Board is in an embarrassing position because they cannot get a response from the Treasury with regard to their questioning of the decision of 12 March, that the heating etc. formed part of the fabric of the building. They decide to pay for the work, with the consent of the Secretary for Scotland, in order not to sustain claims for damages from the contractors, but retain the right to re-claim the expenditure on the Museum at a later date, with interest. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 157-9]

 

31 July: Report by W. W. Robertson [architect to the Board of Works in Scotland] to the Secretary to the Treasury[?]. he suggests that electric lighting and the hydraulic life could be struck off his estimate of 8 November 1887. The lift would not be used much after the initial move to the building and heavy objects could be kept to the ground floor. [NAS, MW5/94]

 

7 August: B of M meeting. The Secretary had been called to visit the Chancellor of the Exchequer in London. A great fuss about the money, questions in Parliament etc. The Secretary for Scotland, confirmed that the Treasury are not responsible for paying for the fittings. A telegram from him to 'Anderson, National Museum of Antiquities' dated 18 July, asks for confirmation of what was said by the donor. The letter in response from the Secretary dated 19 July notes, 'Dr. Anderson, not being able to give you the information you require, I write in reply to your telegram, to say that the donor, in making his offer in April 1884 to present the Board with a sum of money for the purpose of erecting a building for the SNPG, and afterwards increasing the amount of his offer to £20,000 in order to accommodate the Museum of Antiquities also in the same building, did so upon certain written conditions...'

 

 He goes on to make it clear that all was done on the understanding that the Treasury would foot the bill for the fittings etc. and it was not until 12 March that the Board knew this would not be acceptable.

 

The Lord Advocates opinion is sought on the expenditure! He agrees to that for the PG but not for the SAS.

 

After meeting with Chancellor of Exchequer it was agreed that the Treasury would not back down but that if the Board agreed to pay some of the costs they would supply the remainder. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 164-77]

 

15 August: Installment of £2,000 from donor. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 225]

 

25 October: Installment of £2,000 from donor [Minutes vol. 49 p. 225]

 

6 December: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Findlay has retired as Secretary to the S of A.

 

On consulting the Secretary for Scotland it appears that the cost of all the fittings, not simply the heating, will have to be met by the Board and the Treasury as per their agreement. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 224]

 

18 December: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Agreement with Treasury. They will pay £4,750 towards cost of fittings for both PG and Museum plus the £700 costs of moving the Museum. The Board to pay £500 towards cost of Museum. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 227-8]

1889

15 January: OFFICIAL OPENING of the building by Marquess of Lothian, Secretary of State for Scotland and President of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

 

7 February: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter read from Town Clerk dated 2 February regarding laying the causeway in North St Andrew St Lane. They allow the Council to carry out the work and charge them.

 

Letter sent to Under Secretary for Scotland accepting the Treasury offer with regard to the fittings and furnishings for the SAS. They want to make certain this does not set a precedent and they insist that the Treasury should pay the salaries of the staff employed by the Museum. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 266-70]

 

7 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. The Gallery would be ready for the reception of pictures next summer. The PG committee and Mr. Gray to draw up a detailed report on the pictures to be moved. [List and discussion pp. 310-12]

 

Building Committee report on fittings and furnishing. They had instructed RRA to invite tenders for fittings for the Portrait Gallery and these had been accepted, 26 February:

 

Painting a staining of 1st floor galleries and rooms as per estimate. (no figures given) Temporary gas lighting £16.0.0 Bells & speaking tubes £13.5.0 Fire extinguishing appar.  £56.0.0 Water cisterns £47.15.9 Hot water on stair landings and lavatories £78.0.0 RRA was also to obtain estimates for fittings and furnishings for Portrait Gallery only; Entrance lobby Turnstile Attendant's seat Umbrella a stick stand Lavatory Dressing table, mirror, towel rail etc Generally Window blinds, for 1st floor only Furniture, carpets etc. for Board Room, Secretary's and Curator's rooms Screens for 1st floor galleries. Also automatic locks for lavatories. [Supplied by Lockerbie & Wilson, Birmingham, 12 August, £3.19.6. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 119] Regarding fittings & furnishings for SAS. Letter dated 21 February from R. Shillinglaw & Son, contractors for carpenter and joiner work. They complained that they wanted to proceed with the work in the entrance hall and the eastern end of the building but could not do so. If the delay continued they would have to lay off workmen and make a claim against the Board. This letter had been submitted to the Building committee who asked the Secretary to write to the Secretary for Scotland with regard to the delay. A telegram was received from the Secretary of Scotland during the meeting. In it he agreed to pay the £4,750 and the Antiquaries removal expences of £700. 'In the ensuing financial year the Board will receive £1,550 for structural fittings and the Board of Works, £1,700 for furniture. Balance to be voted following year'. Secretary reported that the lane was being causewayed and would be complete in a few days. Third installment of £2,000 received from donor. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 299-303]

 

28 March: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Further correspondence with regard to fittings and furnishing of gallery and museum. Letter from Secretary for Scotland dated 7 March 1889. Agreed as per telegram of same date [above] and also 'Their Lordships [of the Treasury] have decided that the furniture [for the Museum] should be supplied by the Office of Works'. Letter from the Treasury dated 6 March 1889. Repeats the agreement above but goes on 'They have directed that £1,700 shall be inserted in the estimates for 1889-90 for furniture and £1,550 for structural fittings - the last sum to be handed over to the Board...as soon as it is voted by Parliament'. Letter of reply to the above dated 11 March 1889. The Board complains of the slight of hand in relation to the funding. 'The ...Treasury have apparently had under consideration estimates for fittings, the details of which are not known to the Board...' More.... but basically they agree to £1,500 being for the fitting out of the Museum. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 313-8]

 

4 April: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Further correspondence regarding the fittings etc. Telegram to Secretary for Scotland dated 29 March. Accepting proposals and asking the S for S to give his consent for work to go ahead...'If not received to-day twenty workmen are leaving new building, Inglis.' Telegram received from S of S agreeing. Letter from the RRA dated 3 April regarding additional windows in the east and west wings. '...it is desirable to introduce one window in each of the end rooms of the second floor of the east and west wings, as without these four additional windows he was afraid the rooms would be insufficiently lighted'.  This would not affect the architectural appearance...and the plan and elevation showing the alterations was examined. Approved. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 328-31]

 

9 May: B of M meeting. Findlay 'concurring'. Plaster casts of panels from the "Stewart Pulpit" in Kings College, Aberdeen, presented to the School of Arts by RRA. The Secretary reported that, as directed, he had instructed the architect to proceed with the "structural" fittings of the Museum and that they were now in progress. Lane causewayed at a cost of £62.7.6. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 341]

 

24 May: B of M meeting. Findlay present. Letter from Royal Scottish Geographical Society dated 7 May. They agree to an annual rental of £100 for the use of the galleries on the ground floor (instead of rooms in the wings as previously proposed)  'subject to certain structural alterations being made to accommodate us...' The Board granted a lease for five years at £100 pa but to increase this after the first two years. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 357-8]

 

11 July: B of M meeting. Letter from the Chief Reporter of The Scotsman newspaper asking on behalf of the editor for copies of the two letters in which the anonymous donor intimated his first donation of £10,000 and his second of £20,000. Board declined, as they could not do so without the consent of the donor! Estimate submitted from Messrs. Morrison & Co, Edinburgh, for furnishing the Committee room in the Portrait Gallery - £109.2.6. [no further details here] Accepted. Royal Scottish Geographical Society now request only the use of the gallery to the ground floor room on the south and the room on the ground floor of the east wing.  They may require the use of the one on the north for occasional meetings. Suggest a rent of £100 pa rising to £125 after two years. The Secretary reported that he had agreed verbally that the Board would undertake the expence of fitting up wooden partitions in the arched openings in the wall between the south and north galleries, leaving only one door of communication in one partition and further, the expence of painting the rooms and putting in gas pipes. Gas fittings and other fittings to be by the Society. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 393]

 

15 July: OFFICIAL OPENING Portrait Gallery, 3pm. [Minutes vol. 49 p. 393]

 

10 October: B of M meeting. Description of the opening ceremony and the announcement of Findlay as donor. He had given by that stage 'no less than £50,000. Estimate presented by R. Shillinglaw & Son for fitting up partitions in south gallery for use of RSGS - £34.5.0. Also estimate from Wm. Barton & Sons for fitting gas pipes - £21.15.6 Estimate presented for ventilation of upper galleries. R. Shillinglaw & Son joiner work £5.10.0 Wm., Barton & Son for supplying and fitting 11 Emerson's ventilators £14.17.0 Messrs. Coutts & Cameron glazier work £13/- and £8.15.6. Accepted. Offers of statues for the exterior of new building. John Usher of Norton Sir Walter Scott John Livingston An eminent Scotsman Rev. Dr. Porteous John Knox for east gable [Minutes vol. 49 p. 417-22]

 

These might be, 4 niches at southeast corner, Barbour, Dunbar, Gavin Douglas, David Lindsay. In the double niche in the centre, Queen Mary, Lethington, Bishop Leslie. In the 5 niches in the northeast corner, Napier, Stair, Hutton, John Hunter and Watt. In the 4 niches in northwest corner, Admiral Duncan, Sir Robert Abercromby, David Hume and Adam Smith. This scheme adopted and circulated to the newspapers. Estimate from W. Barton & son for the gas pipes reduced by £4.7.6 because of a change in the character and arrangement of the fittings. Further estimate from same for gas pipes and brackets at each side of the vestibule and in the Ladies and Gents - £4.2.0 Estimate from Messrs. Bryden & Son, George St. for furnishing and fitting 21 pairs sateen curtain blinds in the large hall on the ground floor. They will have ash rods, French brass pulleys for £16.16.0 [Minutes vol. 49 p. 461-3. End of volume] Thomas Tait, contractor for the smith work paid 'for ambulatory railing', £70, and for 'letter box' £2.2.0. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 121]

1890

2 January: B of M meeting. Secretary submitted three alternative designs for a stair in connection with the small entrance door in the west wing. Estimates from Mr. W. & J. Kirkwood, builders. Submitted to the building committee. The secretary had sent copies of the scheme for filling the niches on the exterior to Mr. Usher and Mr. Livingstone. A letter read, from Mr. Usher dated 16 December stating that he desired to present a statue of Queen Margaret or King Robert Bruce to be executed by Mr. Birnie Rhind, to fill one of the niches. Mr. Livingston left it to the Board to decide which figure. The Board accepted Queen Margaret from Usher and Malcolm Canmore from Livingston. A letter read from RRA inquiring if the donor of a statue was to undertake carving the niche in which it may be placed. He was concerned that if a condition were not made then the carving might not be carried out. [NAS, NG1/1/50, B of M Minutes p. 17]

 

11 January: Report by W. W. Robertson [architect to the Board of Works] with tenders. John Taylor & Son are by appointment to Her Majesty. I. for the fittings in the library, Messrs. J Taylor & Son. Mahogany £1183.0.0 oak£1162.0.0 Messrs. I. & F. Scott. mahogany or oak £913.0.0 American Ash or Kauri pine £849.10.0 Messrs. R. Shillinglaw & Son mahogany or oak £904 American Ash or Kauri pine £843 II. for sixty seven showcases of mahogany Messrs. I. & T. Scott £945.15.0 Messrs. I Taylor & Son £924.15.0 Messrs. R. Shillinglaw & Son £915.0.0      The estimate from John Taylor is instructive as it lists the items: Ground floor: 7 Window cases 14ft; 1 ditto 7 ft.; 4 ditto 5ft 6in; 4 centre high cases 13 ft.; 4 centre low cases 13 ft. First floor: 8 window cases 8ft; 5 ditto 8ft 6in.; 7 ditto 7ft. as wall cases[?]; 1 wall case 25ft.; 2 wall cases 6ft 9in.; 3 ditto 6ft.; 2 ditto 6ft. 6in.; 1 ditto 6ft. 9in.; 5 centre high cases 16ft.; 7 centre low cases 16ft.; 6 centre low cases 9ft. RRA received a fee of £100 for his drawings. [NAS, MW5/94]

 

26 February: Application to the Dean of Guild Court by A. W. Inglis on behalf of the Board of Manufactures, for permission to make alterations - steps to west door. Warrant granted 27 February. 1 sheet drawing.

 

5 March: Contract signed by Messrs. Robert Shillinglaw & Son, 62 Pitt Street, Edinburgh. [Robert and Andrew Shillinglaw, partners] 'have offered to execute the library fittings in the Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh for the sum of £848 and to make and fit up 67 show cases of mahogany in ground and first floor of said Museum...for the sum of £915... Which offer was accepted by Walter Wood Robertson, surveyor [to the Cssrs. of HM Buildings]....in the most substantial and workmanlike manner according to the four drawings signed by [Robertson] as relative thereto...' [but the drawings were by RRA, see 11 January] The work to be complete in four months.] This contract suggests that the work was to be completed in mahogany or oak rather than ash and the cases too were to be in mahogany. The estimates from Shillinglaw refer to 'amended' drawings which may account for the slight discrepancy in the figures quoted and in the contract.] [NAS, MW5/94]

 

5 September: Second installment [No record here of first unless that for the temporary building is considered such] to Moxon & Carfrae, house painters for painting the Portrait Gallery and the Museum of Antiquities, £400.0.0. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 123]

1891

5 February: Payment to Moxon & Carfrae for 'women's time washing floor to 31 Dec 1890', £5.1.4. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 125]

 

29 July: Payment to Thomas Tait, smith for ambulatory railing per architect's certificate of 1 July. Estimate for railing £108.0.0 paid to acct.  £70.0.0 Bal. £38.0.0 Extra work on do £13.15.0 Spiral stair £3.10.0 Flat iron frames &c. £2.19.0 Window stanchions to acct. £31.10.6 Total £89.14.6 [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 127]

 

August: Conversazione held to celebrate the opening of the SAS Museum

1892

27 July: Payment to Starkie Garoner & Co., London, for ornamental lamps for new building, Queen Street, £90.10.0. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 129]

 

28 July: payment to Thomas Tait, smith for iron doors for protection against fire, being the total amount of his account and in full of all claims, £16.0.0. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 129]

 

4 November: Payment to W. & J. Kirkwood, builders 'being an amount due to them including interest in connection with their claims under their contract for the mason work etc. ...as fixed by the arbiter in his Decreet Arbitral of 8 July 1892 viz. £2,954.1.3 plus interest of £48.3.1'. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 129]

 

19 December: payment to Robert Shillinglaw, contractor for joiner work, 'in connection with his claims under his contracts as awarded by the arbiter, 21st November 1892'. £400.0.0'. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 129]

1893

17 October: Payment to W. & J. Kirkwood for lamp bases at the portrait gallery. £32.0.0. [GD1/35/1, SNPG Accounts p. 131. Last payment for building from these accounts]

1895

Stained glass medallion portraits completed by W. G. Boss [Smailes]

1914

22 July: Application to the Dean of Guild Court by the Commissioners for H. M. Works, for permission to make alterations to the building. New floors and roofs. Warrant granted 30 July 1914. 'the structural alterations consist of the removal of the existing timber roofs and floors, and the substitution of steel and concrete fire resisting floors and roofs. 6 sheets drawings

1930

30 December: Application to Dean of Guild Court to make alterations to the Portrait Gallery alone. All gallery floors to be taken up and replaced with flooring capable of carrying 180lbs per sq. ft. The intention had been 112 lb psf but the D of G Master of Works insisted on greater. Warrant granted 9 January 1931. Six sheets drawings.

1932

Stained glass armorial panels by Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp, inserted in south windows of entrance hall. [Smailes]

1980

Parapet and pinnacles removed for safety. [Smailes]

1991

Parapet and pinnacles restored, to 1993.

1998

Society of Antiquaries of Scotland move out of the building.

  

Key to Timeline                                                                                          

Blue = Contents furniture and stained glass, metal work.

Green = Sculpture.

Red = Building works. 

Magenta = Painting and decorating. 

Italics = Associated information.

Abbreviations.
B of M = Board of Manufactures
PG Committee = Portrait Gallery Committee
RI = Royal Institution building, Mound
RRA = Robert Rowan Anderson, the architect to the Board of Manufactures
SAS = Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
SNPG = Scottish National Portrait Gallery                                                    
Robert Rowan Anderson worked from 19 St. Andrew Square.

Brief observations on the Timeline, with illustrations.

The Furniture.

From the research already carried out, it is quite clear that the history of the surviving furniture in the building is a great deal more complex than previously thought and that the objects themselves are in some cases, very significant in the history of furniture making. A brief inspection suggests that the surviving examples may be divided into three main categories.

1. Furniture designed by the architect for the building.

2. Furniture brought from other places by the SAS.

3. Furniture purchased for use in the SNPG.

Furniture designed by the architect for the building.

Not all of the relevant source material has yet been consulted but the most significant discovery of this research is that the furniture designed for the SAS evolved from earlier pieces and requirements. The Society had commissioned furniture at its foundation in 1781 and possibly at each stage of its nomadic existence, in 1829, 1843, 1859 and finally in 1890. Therefore the starting point for a study of the furniture must be the remarkable plan, drawn by the builder, John Young in 1781 for the house leased by the Society from Col. Charles Campbell, in the Cowgate. [Fig. 1]

                    Fig. 1. Plan by John Young for Society of Antiquaries, 1781

It shows a round backed President's chair at the right, with a large desk or possibly a drawing/plan chest in front of it. Facing the President, a row of six forms and behind them a great circular table. The room is surrounded on three sides with cupboards and shelving, some of which was glazed at a later date. What is surprising is the extent to which this arrangement was replicated at Queen Street in 1886. More forms were required to accommodate the greater numbers and new long tables were introduced but the essential elements survived, the President's chair, the stuffed settees and the large circular table.

Shortly after this drawing was made, the founder of the Society and its first president, the 11th Earl of Buchan, sent a previously un-published note to the architect, John Baxter;

Lord Buchan's best compliments to Mr. Baxter, begs he will take the trouble at the request of the Society of the Antiquaries to make a sketch of an antique form of a chair for the president. Somewhat as in respect of simplicity.

As the hall is now seating it becomes necessary to have this chair executed at the same time.

To accompany his note he provided a sketch of what he had in mind. [Fig. 2] 

                                        Fig. 2. Lord Buchan's note and sketch.

Fig. 3. John Baxter's design, 1782.

Baxter obliged with a design for a sophisticated gentleman's chair with various alternatives for carving. From the surviving account by the wright, William Wallace, published by Steven Jackson, we learn that a chair was indeed made in mahogany and that it probably had a stuffed seat and was covered in red woollen cloth. The amount of 4s.charged for carving, set against the total cost of £2 7s 6d suggests that the most elaborate option may not have been chosen. What is most revealing however is to compare the two early designs. If the Earl had been expecting the latest classical ideas from Baxter, only recently returned from his Grand Tour, he must have been disappointed. Baxter's design is elegant and classical but in a mode that was common in the pattern books of the day. Buchan had specifically asked for an 'antique form' and his rapid sketch showing sharply pointed legs and with the hint of Ionic capitals, was far in advance of anything being produced in Britain at the time. [chairs with pointed legs appear on the Parthenon frieze and in etchings by Alexander Runciman, one of the artists formally associated with the SAS]

The first President's chair has not survived but it is quite clear that the chair supplied in 1890 (possibly designed by Rowand Anderson and made by Robert Shillinglaw, although this has not yet been confirmed by research) is related, particularly in the design of the arm rests, to the lost chair. [Fig. 3]

Fig. 4. The President's chair, 2005 

There is a similar ancestry of design in the benches and in the great circular table that survive in the building today. [Fig. 5 and Fig. 6] Once again Rowand Anderson probably designed these but further research is required.

Fig. 5. Library Settee.

Fig. 6. Circular table.

Fig. 7. View under circular table.

As noted above, additional furniture was required for the enlarged library and It is likely that the suite of 12[?] chairs and the three rectangular tables were designed by Rowand Anderson and executed by Robert Shillinglaw. [Figs 8 & 9 & 10]

Fig. 8. Council chair, side view, 2005.    
 
Fig. 9. The shape of the seat echoes the
shouldered arch at the entrance to the Library.  
                                                                                                                    
Fig. 10. One of the long tables with suite of chairs designed for the Antiquaries Library.

This research has found that in 1890, under their contract to fit out the book cases in the Library, Robert Shillinglaw & Son agreed 'to make and fit up 67 show cases of mahogany in ground and first floor of said Museum...for the sum of £915...'. These were certainly designed by Rowand Anderson, as he was paid £100 for his drawings. The estimate from John Taylor, (who held the Royal Appointment) is instructive as it lists the items:

Ground floor: 7 Window cases 14ft, 1 ditto 7 ft., 4 ditto 5ft 6in, 4 centre high cases 13 ft., 4 centre low cases 13 ft.

First floor: 8 window cases 8ft., 5 ditto 8ft 6in., 7 ditto 7ft. as wall cases[?], 1 wall case 25ft., 2 wall cases 6ft 9in., 3 ditto 6ft., 2 ditto 6ft. 6in., 1 ditto 6ft. 9in., 5 centre high cases 16ft., 7 centre low cases 16ft., 6 centre low cases 9ft.

What is not yet clear is of this contract included the two very handsome bow-topped display cabinets but as they are en-suite in terms of design, it seems very likely.

Fig. 11. Display case designed by Rowand Anderson for the Society of Antiquaries, 1890.

                                   Fig. 12. Display case, designed by architect, 1890

Fig. 13. Vertical case, designed by architect, 1890.

Fig. 14. Display case, possibly designed by the architect, 1890. Note the leg detail is similar to the circular table, Fig. 7.

Perhaps the most significant furniture designed by the architect is that built by Messrs. Robert [and Andrew] Shillinglaw & Son of 62 Pitt Street, Edinburgh in the library. They 'offered to execute the library fittings in the Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh for the sum of £848' in March 1890. This was to be in either American Ash, or more likely as there was some haggling over the final price, Kauri pine [Note: several species found in New Zealand, Queensland, Fiji and the East Indies] [Fig. 15 and 16]

                                                 
Fig. 15. Antiquaries Library detail, SE corner.        Fig. 16. Detail of timber.

Furniture brought from other places by the SAS.

In 1887-8 the treasury agreed to pay for the removal of the Museum of the SAS from the Royal Institution building at the Mound, to Queen Street. W. W. Robertson [architect to the Board of Works in Scotland] estimated the cost of the Museum fittings, cases and furniture at £3,200, on the understanding that 'the cases & fittings in the present Museum would be utilised, and the amount named includes a sum for removal and adaptation of these fittings'. Owing to the limited extent of the present research, only one item that would appear to have come from the Mound has been found. This is the cupboard now in the old 'Council Room' of the SAS. [Fig. 17]. This may be the 'book cases in Council room' supplied by J. & T. Scott in June 1859 for £124.14.0. The Society had been ousted from the Royal Institution building in 1843 but was re-instated in 1859 and Scott supplied other furniture including display cases at that time. Further research may determine other pieces under this heading.

Fig. 17. Bookcase 

Furniture purchased for use in the SNPG.

On the 11 July 1889 an estimate from Messrs. Morrison & Co, Edinburgh, for furnishing the Committee room in the Portrait Gallery was accepted. No details were given in the Minutes except the cost of £109.2.6. and it may be that further research will provide some information. Presumably the furniture included a table and it may be that the small group of 'dining' chairs now around the circular table made for the SAS in Stephen Lloyd's room, formed part of this purchase. [Fig. 00.] They have been stamped at some point with the mark for Queen Victoria. Ian Gow has suggested that William Trotter made these chairs for the Royal Institution building. Trotter certainly did supply furnishings there and one of his bills for 1826-7 survives in the un-catalogued National Gallery manuscript material in the National Archives [Box 6/34 Bundle 1). Clearly this is where further research should begin and once all the evidence has been gathered, a furniture specialist should be consulted.

On the 1 December 1887 Rowand Anderson provided estimates for furnishing various rooms and this included sums for the Curator's private room and his workroom. There are two round-backed armchairs surviving in the building today that may have formed part of this purchase and these too have the Victorian stamp [Figs. 18 & 19.]

Fig. 18. Chair possibly supplied in 1887. 

Fig. 19. Stamp on chair in fig. 18.                      

 The clock in the Curator's room is likely to have been purchased as part of the 1887 group but once again, further research is required.

Recommendations for further research.

In the time available for research it was not possible to consult the Minutes of the Council of the Society of Antiquaries, and their letter books or to any significant extent, the un-catalogued material in the NAS. Nor was it possible to examine the book of press cuttings in the Portrait Gallery.

The significance of the Society of Antiquaries in the design of the building has been played down in the published literature. It is quite clear from the donor's comments about the height of the ceilings in the area set aside for the Museum and their relationship to the height of stone crosses and other monuments in the collection [24.10.1884] that the Antiquaries concerns influenced the whole design. Their inclusion and requirements were not an afterthought but formed part of the architect's brief from the beginning and built on his previous work for the Board of Manufactures in trying to enlarge their accommodation at the Mound.

For this reason it is essential that before any major decisions are made about the internal alteration of the building, the Minutes of the Society and any other relevant material in their archives, be thoroughly investigated. The former Antiquaries library on the second floor at Queen Street is the only surviving evidence of the layout of their often combined library/meeting places, starting with John Young's design in the Cowgate [1781], W. H. Playfair's in the Royal Institution building at the Mound [1827], William Burn's designs for 24 George Street [1843] and Playfair's extension in 1832. A design by James Hamilton, architect for their return to the Mound [1859, mentioned in the accounts on 23 November 1859, NAS, NG1/35/1 p.57. has not yet been found].
W. H. Playfair. Library in the Royal Institution building at the Mound [1827]

William Burn's designs for 24 George Street [1843]

W. H. Playfair's extension to the Royal Institution in 1832.

Documents consulted (and some suggested)
 
Records of the Ministry of Public Building and Works (National Archives of Scotland, West Reg House)

NAS, MW5/68 National Gallery of Scotland, 1911.
Reinforced concrete in roofs and staircase (for any bearing on SNPG?)
NAS, MW5/93 SNPG and SAS, 1908-10.
Transfer of premises from Board of Trustees to Cssrs. of Works. Act 1906
NAS, MW5/94 SNPG and SAS, 1887-1892
Fit up and furnish part of new building for SAS.
NAS, MW5/126 SNPG and SAS, 1920-1939.
Petition re building on adjoining ground. proposal to purchase adjoining ground.
NAS, MW5/127 SNPG and SAS, 1925.
Supply of water by Edinburgh Corporation
NAS, MW5/141 SNPG, 1922-36.
Repair of stonework
NAS, MW5/142 SNPG, 1908-28
Fireproofing of building, alts to roof, floors, lighting, ventilation and heating.
NAS, MW5/143 SNPG, 1912-40
Fire precautions.
NAS, MW5/153 SNPG, 1928-30.
Installation of lift
NAS, MW/154 SNPG, 1932
Proposal for inscriptions for statues
NAS, MW5/155 SNPG, 1932-3
Stained glass windows in entrance hall
NAS, MW5/210 SNPG, 1927-8
Standing Commission on Museums and Galleries
NAS, MW5/213 SNPG, 1929-48
Standing Commission on Museums and Galleries
NAS, MW5/219 SAS, 1945-48
Right of SAS to display its own flag
 
National Museums of Scotland, Society of Antiquaries Library.
Minutes of Society of Antiquaries, 1882-1988
SAS correpsondence?
Book of receipts (a sort of scrap book!)
Correspondence of any of the major players - Findlay, Fettes Douglas, Marquess of Lothian etc.


Bibliography

James Anderson, Recreations in Agriculture, Natural History, Arts and Miscellaneous Literature London 1799-1802. Partic. Vol. 4, 23 January 1801.
A. S. Bell, (ed) The Scottish Antiquarian Tradition Edinburgh, 1981 p. 163 ff.
The Builder, 3 January 1885 and 1 January 1898.
British Architect, 11 January 1889.
Helen Smailes, Portrait Gallery for Scotland, Edinburgh (National Galleries of Scotland) 1985.
Sam McKinstry, Rowand Anderson Edinburgh 1991.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, Edinburgh 1988, pp. 283-4.
Charles B. Boog Watson, 'Notes on the early history of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland and the house in the Cowgate in which the Society and its library and museum were originally accommodated' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Vol. IX 4th Series 1910-11, Edinburgh 1911, pp. 250-264.



Comments