"Pork Barrel Politics and Electoral Reform: Explaining the Curious Differences in the Experiences of Thailand and Japan" (with Raymond Christensen) Journal of Asian Studies.
Coalitions of the Wellbeing. How Electoral Rules and Ethnic Politics Shape Health Policy in Developing Countries
(2015). Cambridge University Press.
"Ethnic Accommodation and Electoral Rules in Ethno-geographically Segregated Societies: PR Outcomes under FPTP in Myanmar Elections." (2015) Journal of East Asian Studies.
- "Considering the Political Consequences of Comparative Politics Experiments." (In Press). In Experiments in Political Science. Scott Desposato (ed.). New York: Routledge. (with J. Gubler)
- “Ethnicity and Democracy in Southeast Asia” (2014). in Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Democratization, William Case (ed.).
- "The Myth of Consociationalism" (2012) Comparative Political Studies 45: 1542-1571. (with K. Templeman)
- "Horizontal Equality, Crosscutting Cleavages and Civil War" (2012) Journal of Conflict Resolution 56 (no. 2): 206-32. (with J. Gubler)
- "Forcing the Genie Back in the Bottle: Sociological Change and Institutional Reform in Thailand." (2012) Journal of East Asian Studies 12 (no. 1): 57-88. (with A. Hicken)
- “The Measurement of Cross-cutting Cleavages and Other Multidimensional Cleavage Structures” (2011) Political Analysis 19(1): 48-65.
- “Electoral Reform and Public Policy Outcomes in Thailand: The Politics of the 30-Baht Health Scheme” (2011) World Politics 63(1): 165-202.
- “Cross-cuttingness, Cleavage Structures and Civil War Onset” (2011). British Journal of Political Science 41(1), 111-138.